Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jannerboyuk

Amnrl finally dead?

39 posts in this topic

Like a ###### zombie that keeps coming back. Just die die die.

Let's hope the clubs unify with USARL and they are welcomed. And we can get on with it.

This could lead the remaining AM NRL clubs to wither and die. The USARFL should have welcomed their application and let them play a merit league competition amongst themselves for this season and enter any cup competitions if they have one.

The RLIF should sanction the USARL as the recognised body representing the USA in international competitions asap and help bury the AMNRL. They will be remembered in history as the founders of the game in the US but the inflexibility and intransigence of the CEO marginalised the organisation and the split happened and the USARL are the bigger and better organisation now.

I'd like to see some accomodation for the AMNRL clubs that will accept it. With no chance of a competitive game for a year, the other code could make them (or at least the pick of their players) an offer.

There was a serious compromise on the table earlier in the year of a top 8 Super League, with four from each league.  It fell from favour as both sides were not able to offer four bids of comparable quality.  It then went to accepting bids for the USARL, which was limited success.  Then finally, the AmNRL did not get their season together and it comes to this.

Seems like only the North Virginia Eagles were able to make a deal with the USARL - http://www.novaeagles.com/

I would like to see the USARL accept them but into their own league for this season. Maybe even start later if they need time to organise things. Or as was mentioned above, a merit league

It might be a bit of making it clear who won the contest.  It ensures that any new clubs enter the USARL on the terms of the USARL, regardless of whether they coming from the AmNRL or not.

This is a relief if true, the USARL are the much stronger and open organisation.

In fairness to the USARL, they never said no to the AMNRL clubs joining in a second tier or merit league fashion. They just weren't prepared to change their main competition around for all the AMNRL clubs 2 weeks out from kick off.

I'm sure if only another 1-2 teams defected they would have looked at trying to accommodate them but can understand how it would of thrown everything out trying to fit in the 5.

Anyway hopefully the AMNRL clubs don't fold and they join up to the USARL competition for 2015

This really is a bore … how hard is it to have one comp/one governing body etc?

Well they had to have the so called SL War to sort it out in Australia.

It's a proud Rugby League tradition. 

hello everyone im new to this board and to the rugby league world. coming from union side of rugby, league is very fascinating and i hope one day to see USARL or some league expand west to california , oregon and washington. i run a rugby "blog" life love rugby and i try to toss in a little league every now and then and have been lucky enough to do a q&a with a club or two from usarl this past year and hope to do more. http://llrugby.blogspot.com/ ,  i hope and think league and union can benifit greatly in this country if they work together similar to whats happenign in florida and those union and league clubs working hand in hand.

that being said, i noticed recently on line that the iowa crash showed off there new uniforms and it said USARL on the chest, turns out they have defected from AMNRL and will join full membership next season to the USARL and according to boston 13's they will play a few pick up games this year against USARL clubs.

Welcome to the forum and the sport. It's a great game with a great history and spirit. We love it and want to see as many people get an opportunity to play and support it as possible.

I'll check out your blog. Love to get more American perspective.

The sooner it goes, the better. It's a failed league with no growth or development in 15 years and is holding the game back in the US. Time for the USARL to be given international membership. 

thank you, not much league writing but i hope to pump out a writing or two every so often.

now league states side as a chance to do better then union i believe. because league is still in its infancy they can learn from the mistakes of usa rugby and even the development of soccer. let each club develop on its own yet set up guide lines via governing body. provide assistance in devoloping officals and securing top clubs to tour states side. i think the usa pioneers idea is perfect to develop players but i say let that be a club/players organization. and let USARL or something bigger handle the actual national team

From an American perspective, do you think it's better to have teams in big cities and compete for coverage or is it better to have smaller cities like Providence and college towns where there are no 'big 4' sports teams? I presume the sponsorship is better in bigger cities like Jacksonville, Philly, NY. etc. 

i think this is a very hard question. in one hand you need those "big " markets so you can bring in the needed sponsorship along with a possiblity of having games on tv ( i would assume thats usarl's ultimate goal) but at the same time a vast majority of the Big markets are so saturated with sports options for the fans that you set up clubs in those markets to essentially fail, granted there are some sports teams in nitch sports that are established but that doesnt mean it will always work. now with small markets you have a bigger chance of having clubs succeed because there are less options for fans to choose from in stead of rugby league. but again if you have the league playing in locations that barely have 200k then its going to  be a up hill battle.

now the usarl has clubs in the right market to get the ball rolling, what i would like to see is to look at smaller/mid markets moving forward. raleigh north Carolina, Charleston west Virgina.

When starting from scratch with an amateur sport, you start teams where there are enthusiasts and no other teams.  The places to avoid starting teams are wherever there is a club already - local games are good, but I am a firm believer that as soon as two clubs are competing for the same players they are both in trouble.

A small town may be able to become a mass spectator sport in that small town as there are fewer other attractions.  It is the big city where a sport much, in hte wealthier parts of the western world, find a social niche as much as a geographical niche.  It must also be able to generate a good income from what will be fairly small crowds (so rich people are a good place).

Thank you both. I guess the good thing about the US, is pretty much every town will have a decent high school stadium, if not a college stadium too. It would be good to see some teams out west as well. 

The places to avoid starting teams are wherever there is a club already - local games are good, but I am a firm believer that as soon as two clubs are competing for the same players they are both in trouble.

I think that's one of the problems with the remaining AMNRL teams, two are smaller towns within spitting distance of Philadelphia, which would be hard to compete with. There's three other NY teams, but they're all in different places and NY is a big state, so that should be fine and of course Connecticut, who are now the only team there. Hopefully these AMNRL teams can have a new identity if they join the USARL, too much of an NRL copycat imo. 

what would be nice to see is these current ( and should make it a requirement) and incoming clubs have a B side team playing in a "minor league" system or reserve league, similar to what the MLS had and what some union clubs do. it can bed a be a developmental system to get new league players some playing time before they actually start for the top side, vs risking losing interest from players who sit on the bench all season. not saying this happens but it gets guys playing time and a chance to continue to develop there skills.

what Jacksonville and the southern conference is planning on doing and has done in the past is a great idea and shows it helps with there over all league standings. constantly a top side.

usarl is starting off on the right foot and they could become a MLL/NLL of rugby league in this country.

Thank you both. I guess the good thing about the US, is pretty much every town will have a decent high school stadium, if not a college stadium too. It would be good to see some teams out west as well. 

I think that's one of the problems with the remaining AMNRL teams, two are smaller towns within spitting distance of Philadelphia, which would be hard to compete with. There's three other NY teams, but they're all in different places and NY is a big state, so that should be fine and of course Connecticut, who are now the only team there. Hopefully these AMNRL teams can have a new identity if they join the USARL, too much of an NRL copycat imo. 

Very true.  The USA is very different financially and the stakes are higher.  More facilites are available, but a higher standard is expected and it costs.  However, rich men like to throw their money at sport in a way that it would be wasted on fashion, arts or eltist sports in Europe.

what would be nice to see is these current ( and should make it a requirement) and incoming clubs have a B side team playing in a "minor league" system or reserve league, similar to what the MLS had and what some union clubs do. it can bed a be a developmental system to get new league players some playing time before they actually start for the top side, vs risking losing interest from players who sit on the bench all season. not saying this happens but it gets guys playing time and a chance to continue to develop there skills.

what Jacksonville and the southern conference is planning on doing and has done in the past is a great idea and shows it helps with there over all league standings. constantly a top side.

usarl is starting off on the right foot and they could become a MLL/NLL of rugby league in this country.

I disagree with asking too much initially. A good plan and backers is the most important thing.  Getting a team off the ground is tough and a few games are required initially to make make it work.  Having two teams initially is asking too much.  However, I see the problem as similar.  The idea of a major club representing the region and feeder clubs (possibly mainly 9's) beneath that could work.  Also, most youth will give up sport when entering adulthood, one adult team will therefore require a number of youth teams to feed it (something the structure of most American sport already recognises).