Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OzWelsh

How about a World Cup every 2 years?

26 posts in this topic

I think that G Hetherington suggested it. 

We only need 8 teams, have Europe in as it's Super League Europe. 

If you have an Australia v Europe 3 Match Test Series, it obviously leaves out NZ, which is not a good thing.  Why can't we organise another WC here in Europe for Oct. & November 2015 over the next few weeks.  Yes, next year.  Surely it's not hard to book Toulouse, Memorial Ground (Bristol), Leigh, Headingley, KC Stadium, Wembley, Old Trafford, Langtree Park, Rochdale, Craven Park, DW Stadium and the Halliwell Jones Stadium for 1 or 2 matches each, and speak to local officials over the next few weeks is it?.  There are 12 stadia there, to cover 15 matches, Wembley will hold both semi-finals, no quarter-finals.  Toulouse to hold the opening ceremony and obviously the opening match between Europe and Australia on October 17.  The semi-finals on Nov. 7th at Wembley.  Old Trafford for the Final on November 14th. 

Group A - Europe, Australia, Samoa, Tonga

Group B - NZ, PNG, Fiji, Cook Islands 

Obviously the 2017 WC will be in Aus. & NZ.    

I think that G Hetherington suggested it. 

We only need 8 teams, have Europe in as it's Super League Europe. 

If you have an Australia v Europe 3 Match Test Series, it obviously leaves out NZ, which is not a good thing.  Why can't we organise another WC here in Europe for Oct. & November 2015 over the next few weeks.  Yes, next year.  Surely it's not hard to book Toulouse, Memorial Ground (Bristol), Headingley, KC Stadium, Wembley, Old Trafford, Langtree Park, Rochdale, Racecourse Ground, DW Stadium, Workington and the Halliwell Jones Stadium for 1 or 2 matches each, and speak to local officials over the next few weeks is it?.  There are 12 stadia there, to cover 15 matches (I doubt all of the sadia would be used), Wembley will hold both semi-finals, no quarter-finals.  Toulouse to hold the opening ceremony and obviously the opening match between Europe and Australia on October 17.  The semi-finals on Nov. 7th at Wembley.  Old Trafford for the Final on November 14th. 

Group A - Europe, Australia, Samoa, Tonga

Group B - NZ, PNG, Fiji, Cook Islands 

Obviously the 2017 WC will be in Aus. & NZ.    

You are going to keep Cook Islands (population 10,900) yet merge away France (population 65,700,000)? Sums up your posts on this board really.

Merge?  Not exactly the right word for it, England and France are joined.  You try getting to another country from the Cook Islands without leaving a train that's moving itself, not stuck on a ship.

England is in Europe, face it and get over it.

Merge?  Not exactly the right word for it, England and France are joined.  You try getting to another country from the Cook Islands without leaving a train that's moving itself, not stuck on a ship.

England is in Europe, face it and get over it.

What does that even mean?

That the Cook Islands, NZ, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga are far from anywhere else, whereas we are not.  France is joined by a railway line to England, Scotland and Wales are joined onto England.  I know many of you wish you were in the Atlantic close to the USA, but you're not, as I said get over it, you're in Europe.

An England international test once every two years would an achievement at the moment.

That the Cook Islands, NZ, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga are far from anywhere else, whereas we are not.  France is joined by a railway line to England, Scotland and Wales are joined onto England.  I know many of you wish you were in the Atlantic close to the USA, but you're not, as I said get over it, you're in Europe.

I was merely asking because the words in that order made all sense. I wasn't even gonna contend with how stupid the main suggestion is.

How many times would the Aussies pull out of a biennial RWC because they felt an ickle bit tired?

I don't know where you came from OzWelsh - onto this board and into our lives - but please, go back.

Some of the Best Aussie players would pull out now and again.  But they would still be favourites.  How about this Aussie team :-

Full-back - D Boyd

Wings - J Mansour, J McManus

Centres - J Hodges, M Jennings

Half-backs - D C-Evans, A Sezer

No.9 - R Farah

Front-row forwards - A Woods, J Taa-maw

Second-row - G Bird, L Lewis

Loose forward - P Gallen ©

Interchange - M Ennis, J Lillyman, A Fifita, C Parker

Fancy Europe to beat that team?  I wouldn't, not if coached by T Sheens or C Bellamy.

I bet not all the best Americans and Canadians always play in the Hockey (Ice) WC.  And I know for a fact that not all the best American's play in the Basketball WC.  

IMO it should be like this,

2014 - 4 Nations (Europe, Aus., NZ, Samoa)

2015 - WC

2016 - No internationals in October & Nov.

2017 - WC

2018 - 4 Nations

2019 - WC

2020 - No Test matches at end of season.

2021 - WC

Although all the team you name are fine players, I would have no worries about England beating them.

So USA and Canada have separate teams in the Ice Hockey WC? But they are contiguous; surely they should be merged (together with Mexico) as North America.

How about a 4 year cycle of:

England tour to Australia

4nations

Australia tour to uk

World Cup

So basically have the World Cup and 4nations 2 years apart with tours between the two tournaments.

How about a 4 year cycle of:

England tour to Australia

4nations

Australia tour to uk

World Cup

So basically have the World Cup and 4nations 2 years apart with tours between the two tournaments.

No, because as I said, it'll leave NZ out too much.  NZ under your system would obviously only play every other year in a meaningful match, that's ridiculous. 

No

No, because as I said, it'll leave NZ out too much.  NZ under your system would obviously only play every other year in a meaningful match, that's ridiculous

The only ridiculous suggestion in this thread is having a continent play in the world cup!

No, because as I said, it'll leave NZ out too much.  NZ under your system would obviously only play every other year in a meaningful match, that's ridiculous. 

Under your system, how often do France play a meaningful match?

Under your system, how often do France play a meaningful match?

There wouldn't be a France, England, Russia, Serbia, Norway, Spain, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Finland etc. team anymore, ever.  They're not really nations in any case, but you could have club sides with the word England or France, like the New Zealand Warriors.  You have the PNG Hunters in the Q Cup, a Fiji something is gonna play in the NSW Cup soon.  Why not an England Dynamos and France Cavaliers in the NRL?

And Oldham boy, I'm not a frikin troll.

Of course you are! To suggest 3 x Permanent Members of the UN Security Council and another member of the G20 aren't really nations is a very poor attempt at trolling.

Keep up the bad attempts! :D

There wouldn't be a France, England, Russia, Serbia, Norway, Spain, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Finland etc. team anymore, ever.  They're not really nations in any case, but you could have club sides with the word England or France, like the New Zealand Warriors.  You have the PNG Hunters in the Q Cup, a Fiji something is gonna play in the NSW Cup soon.  Why not an England Dynamos and France Cavaliers in the NRL?

England Dynamos and France Cavaliers.  Were you by any chance part of the Halifax RLFC marketing team in 1996 - the guys that brought us the Halifax Blue Sox?

No, but they should have stuck by that nickname, they don't have a nickname now, it makes them a little different, ppl would come to accept it eventually especially the next generation.

So why do Tonga (ranked 13th) get their own team but France (4th) don't?

Did you actually read that before posting??

What absolute nonsense.

So why do Tonga (ranked 13th) get their own team but France (4th) don't?

Europe would play Australasia once every four years for the WC. They would then come together to represent earth in the inter galactic championship. Ozwelsh is quite clearly an alien given the job of slowly breaking the news to us.

I just hope that the new chairman of the rugby league international federation(Nigel wood) isn't reading this thread as this absurd "idea" could become reality as this even sounds like something Nigel wood would Come up with.