Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Totally disillusioned with international rugby league

84 posts in this topic

How many people actually care about international rugby though? RL's strength lies in the club game and IMO the club game is what we should focus on.

How many people actually care about international rugby though? RL's strength lies in the club game and IMO the club game is what we should focus on.

Oh dear.

Tell that to the record number of spectators at the World Cup including record attendances at several grounds in four countries.

112,000 people attended the last two double headers at Wembley (2011 had 47,000,2013 had 65,000).

Remarkably, more than 2 million people watched England beat Fiji on the TV.

Two clubs games a year will beat the former; no club games beats the latter.

For hardened rugby league fans, you are quite right.  For the population as a whole, only internationals generate interest.  I assure you, though there are people in Harlow and Crawley who will watch England rugby league, you will not persuade them to watch Leeds vs St Helens.

I cant see why SOO cannot exist with a genuine International Calendar. SOO is brilliant but as the great Wally Lewis said playing for your Country should be the pinnacle. The last RLWC was a "heritage" player farce and dissed all those  that wanted a real World Cup.

I cant see why SOO cannot exist with a genuine International Calendar. SOO is brilliant but as the great Wally Lewis said playing for your Country should be the pinnacle. The last RLWC was a "heritage" player farce and dissed all those  that wanted a real World Cup.

If the most successful wc ever was a farce then let's have a second act. That kind of farce brings a real smile to my face.

For hardened rugby league fans, you are quite right.  For the population as a whole, only internationals generate interest.  I assure you, though there are people in Harlow and Crawley who will watch England rugby league, you will not persuade them to watch Leeds vs St Helens.

And even less so Salford.v.Widnes, or Wakefield.v.HKR.

But we won't get a competitive France unless we add Toulouse.

No improvement in professional International RL without improving the player supply.

Keep up the good work Bob...

Origin does co-exist with Internationals. The reason we don't have a more extensive International calendar is because of the influence of the club game, both in Aus/NZ and in this country. The clubs won't agree to play less matches, and that's the biggest influence on the number of Internationals we play. 

If you thought the RLWC was a 'farce' using heritage players, try running the same competition exclusively with homegrown players. You'd get only a handful of teams taking part, or a lot of games with cricket scores. The sport only has 2 full time club competitions to source players from, and most countries that play the sport have only an amateur set up.

I suppose we've got no one to blame but ourselves. This obsession with Australia and that they're the only 'worthy' opponents in IRL is why we're in this position in the first place. Instead of this obsession with GB v Australia and GB tours, we should have been growing rivalries with Wales and France, as well as playing NZ, PNG, Fiji as well. It seems we're happy to see Eng/GB lose constantly to Australia, but England beating France is a bad thing. At least the French go out and support these games, but we ignore them because they're not in the North of England or Australia. Sadly, the idiots at the RFL would rather have no international games than have us play a tri-Series with France and Wales, or play PNG and Fiji in their countries. 

I suppose we've got no one to blame but ourselves. This obsession with Australia and that they're the only 'worthy' opponents in IRL is why we're in this position in the first place. Instead of this obsession with GB v Australia and GB tours, we should have been growing rivalries with Wales and France, as well as playing NZ, PNG, Fiji as well. It seems we're happy to see Eng/GB lose constantly to Australia, but England beating France is a bad thing. At least the French go out and support these games, but we ignore them because they're not in the North of England or Australia. Sadly, the idiots at the RFL would rather have no international games than have us play a tri-Series with France and Wales, or play PNG and Fiji in their countries. 

I don't understand, the last time there was no Australia or NZ fixtures we played a tri-series with France and Wales.

I don't understand, the last time there was no Australia or NZ fixtures we played a tri-series with France and Wales.

Yes, but it was pretty low key and played in some small stadiums with small attendances. We need to build it up as something important, which means including NRL players and playing in big stadiums, which is why we should play it in France. Unfortunately though, they'll be in NZ in 2015, so that is unlikely to occur. 

Yes, but it was pretty low key and played in some small stadiums with small attendances. We need to build it up as something important, which means including NRL players and playing in big stadiums, which is why we should play it in France. Unfortunately though, they'll be in NZ in 2015, so that is unlikely to occur. 

Well I agree with that, but that's a completely different point.

We saw at the World Cup that we can get decent crowds for games even where England were certainties to win.

We saw at the World Cup that we can get decent crowds for games even where England were certainties to win.

That was because the games in the World Cup were built up and actually sold to the wider public as an event rather than simple piecemeal planning we normally get for home internationals, even against NZ and Australia; I think that is the point he is trying to make... Actually organise the games/tournaments properly well in advance in decent stadia at decent times and people WILL turn up in large numbers.

There is only England , Aus and NZ that have any meaningful International profile. Its nonsense to reinvent any International competition format that only has only 3 "players". A reality check needs to be taken.

There is only England , Aus and NZ that have any meaningful International profile. Its nonsense to reinvent any International competition format that only has only 3 "players". A reality check needs to be taken.

Well in the last World Cup in Australia PNG gave England a pretty good game.

The perceived success of Italy and USA in the RLWC was a scam. If the two teams were to meet any time soon the only viable venue would be Sydney.If you don't know it already , that's where most of their teams are from. RLWC apologists claim that fixing sides with heritage players prevented missmatchs [blow outs] . In their minds that equated to making the game "global". Short sighted nonsense.

The perceived success of Italy and USA in the RLWC was a scam. If the two teams were to meet any time soon the only viable venue would be Sydney.If you don't know it already , that's where most of their teams are from. RLWC apologists claim that fixing sides with heritage players prevented missmatchs [blow outs] . In their minds that equated to making the game "global".

Shurely "watchable" and they were too. Check the crowds.

The perceived success of Italy and USA in the RLWC was a scam. If the two teams were to meet any time soon the only viable venue would be Sydney.If you don't know it already , that's where most of their teams are from. RLWC apologists claim that fixing sides with heritage players prevented missmatchs [blow outs] . In their minds that equated to making the game "global". Short sighted nonsense.

Apologist?  These is nothing ot apologise for.

It was great, if you do not believe me ask an eye-witness (of which there was an enormous number).  

Agreed , the crowd figures were very good. The whole thing made money. It kind of preached to the converted though. It was a success. Are you happy with the same thing happening again?

Agreed , the crowd figures were very good. The whole thing made money. It kind of preached to the converted though. It was a success. Are you happy with the same thing happening again?

Did it really? I thought it got loads of non-traditional fans through the turnstiles...?

Lots of "ooo-aaarrr" voices at the USA v Cooks game in Bristol. Not so many (a few) northern accents.

Heard more southern accents at Wembley than northern.

Depends what you mean by International Rugby. If you mean has much been built upon from the World Cup then the answer is no and much of the fault lies at the door of the SL and NRL as well as the RLIF. Having Smith and Wood Controlling the RLIF is wrong in my opinion and you wont see that much Happening except maybe the 4 nations series. Shame no England v France etc but ist hardly been that well supported in the past and is a bit one sided.

But away from that you can easily get to see International Rugby League. Spain, Belguim, Italy, German, Netherlands, Serbia, Russia, Malta, Czech rep, Denmark, Sweden, Ukraine etc will or have played already this year. Clubs games have happened across Europe and Serbia has a good youth System with leagues. The RLEF have been criticized and rightly so to some degree, in my opinion. But they also have done more than anybody in getting the game developed and putting Internationals on and supporting the People when they can.

Not sure if this article's been posted somewhere else, but it suggests that there's a plan to get some sort of internationals in the UK this autumn:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2014/jun/10/legacy-2013-rugby-league-world-cup-oldham

"With no home England games planned, the RFL have gone quiet on any mention of "World Cup legacy". They may be rescued by the Celts, for once. Although discussions are ongoing, international rugby league could return to several RLWC2013 venues this autumn. "

Could just mean the European Championship games though. 

Not sure if this article's been posted somewhere else, but it suggests that there's a plan to get some sort of internationals in the UK this autumn:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2014/jun/10/legacy-2013-rugby-league-world-cup-oldham

"With no home England games planned, the RFL have gone quiet on any mention of "World Cup legacy". They may be rescued by the Celts, for once. Although discussions are ongoing, international rugby league could return to several RLWC2013 venues this autumn. "

Could just mean the European Championship games though. 

From reading that article, I think it does just mean that some European Championship games will be staged at venues used in last years WC. Presumably, they're waiting on football fixtures to be announced before they can confirm venues.

Not sure playing a game at the same venue 12 months later is actually a 'World Cup legacy', but it will be nice if we can get at least some Internationals announced for this country some time soon...