Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Totally disillusioned with international rugby league

84 posts in this topic

The Elephant in the room is about to lift its trunk and bellow " We had the best ever RLWC".In this case the Elephant should be Ignored. As Ive asked before , where will the USA play Italy ? Sydney is the only venue .If you are happy with International Rugby League teams being made up of Australians[and Kiwis and Pacific Islanders of course]then be happy with that. Don't pretend otherwise.The NRL is run by boguns who dictate the future of any International game. Back to square 1 in 4 years.

But neither PNG nor France have a team of Aussies. It could be better but it is not as bad as you are painting it.

I don't deny I paint a bad picture. That's the way I see International League and the way its run or in this case mismanaged. If the powers that be see the future of International footy [an Aussie name for rugby league] as an adjunct of the NRL it all goes nowhere. If you want the next RLWC to Involve 170 players from Australia  being allocated to their fantasy teams then don't be surprised if the great unwashed general public don't buy into it.

I don't deny I paint a bad picture. That's the way I see International League and the way its run or in this case mismanaged. If the powers that be see the future of International footy [an Aussie name for rugby league] as an adjunct of the NRL it all goes nowhere. If you want the next RLWC to Involve 170 players from Australia being allocated to their fantasy teams then don't be surprised if the great unwashed general public don't buy into it.

What on earth are you on about?

I do think there is a certain obsession to find as many NRL or Australian players as you can find, rather than giving your own guys a chance. One of the USA's best players I thought was Garvey, a bonafide American developed in the country, whilst I thought Aussie-developed Peterson was abysmal. PNG had some good young players that were developed in their own system in their country, including Wellington Albert who was then signed to Penrith. Stop obsessing over NRL players, not all of them are as good as they're made out to be. 

I cant think why a genuine RLWC would be devalued by having actual residents of said Qualified Countries being Involved. I reject the Idea that having teams like Italy and USA in the last one being largely Australian in any way moved the game forward. Complete nonsense of an Idea.

If I was trying to promote League in Italy right now I would be asking the RLIF about what pathways a genuine Italian player might aspire to as in playing for his Country.

I have nothing against using some(4 or 5) heritage players. There were quite a lot at the World Cup though, and I think most people would have preferred to see more nationals playing for those particular teams.

I don't think we need to fill out teams with NRL or SL players because the WC format allows for the lesser teams to compete.

Widdop didn't leave the uk until almost an adult.

When he thinks about going to the beach, do you think he means Bondi or Blackpool.?

The Elephant in the room is about to lift its trunk and bellow " We had the best ever RLWC".In this case the Elephant should be Ignored. As Ive asked before , where will the USA play Italy ? Sydney is the only venue .

If you are happy with International Rugby League teams being made up of Australians[and Kiwis and Pacific Islanders of course]then be happy with that. Don't pretend otherwise.

The NRL is run by boguns who dictate the future of any International game. Back to square 1 in 4 years.

The US played Canada in Toronto and got a crowd of 4,000. Terrific given the starting point of both countries. The team was mostly domestic players. The heritage players were used in the WC and it was a mistake, but one which turned out well, given the surprise results they managed to achieve.

Going forward, I think they will use more domestic players although not exclusively. USA RL has and will play fixtures in the USA.

I think its yet another example of the game being ran by clowns at the highest level.

The success of the World Cup showed there is an appetite for international RL games in this country. People who don't follow rugby on a weekly basis knew the names of Sam Burgess, Tomkins, Charnley etc. in the same way that the names of Jonathan Davies, Martin Offiah and Shaun Edwards were household names in the eighties due to good TV coverage.

With the lack of an international programme AGAIN!! and the missed opportunity to tour the South Pacific and New Zealand as a combined Great Britain side, the game will miss a  prime opportunity to raise its profile.

This just proves that we are a northern game totally out of touch with the supporters .....but all's not lost as The RFL has become the first national governing body to pass Sport England’s leading national quality scheme, QUEST. (yawn!!!) - as a result of this new national quality scheme, the community game will probably have more expense and more hurdles to overcome in getting new coaches and junior players into the game!!