Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saintslass

Sam Barlow possible serious injury

60 posts in this topic

They should be, this had sod all to do with rugby, it was a violent assault. In my opinion, that should be dealt with by a higher court than the RFL disciplinary tribunal.

So all the other players of both teams who throw punches should be reported to the police also then? Punching has nothing to with Rugby League.

In addition the late shot which started it the Halifax 13 should be charged for restarting the fighting

A number of players from birth sided should also be charged for the fighting

Hopefully the instigator gets a long ban for what was a disgraceful act

Ah, the old blame the ref excuse. It doesn't matter how good or bad the ref was, the players should be able to keep some kind of self-discipline. This was a straight pre-meditated assault, it didn't resemble anything like a tackle. Long ban for me and certainly no surprise if the Police do get involved.

If its brown, smells and comes out of your arris its a ###### - the ref was shocking and has been in the 3 games we have had him. This was not the first late cheap shot, if he had sorted things out earlier this probably would not have happened. It was like going back to the 70's last night

Just two players charged from this game.

Dane Manning has been charged twice: with a Grade E intentional striking with the shoulder, and Grade D punching.  He doesn't have the right to an EGP with either of those charges.

Kurt Haggerty charged with a Grade C punching.  He does have the right to an EGP.

I would imagine Manning is going to get a very long ban.  Grade E alone is 4 to 8 matches.

For me the whole incident is shocking we have a player with a potential serious injury prone on the floor with several people attending to him and the brawl starts again .

With little or no concern for the injured player .

The RFL must be severe here on several counts first the disgraceful cowardly off the ball from Manning .

Then the subsequent brawls and the fact that the first brawls stops and then is restarted cant believe only two players have been cited .

Manning should be charged twice first for the late tackle to the head and then for running in to start the second brawl .

The Hull K R chair is spot on the RFL disciplinary team are not fit for purpose .

For me the whole incident is shocking we have a player with a potential serious injury prone on the floor with several people attending to him and the brawl starts again .

With little or no concern for the injured player .

The RFL must be severe here on several counts first the disgraceful cowardly off the ball from Manning .

Then the subsequent brawls and the fact that the first brawls stops and then is restarted cant believe only two players have been cited .

Manning should be charged twice first for the late tackle to the head and then for running in to start the second brawl .

The Hull K R chair is spot on the RFL disciplinary team are not fit for purpose .

So which players should be charged and for what.

See my post above.  He has been charged twice: once for the 'tackle' (Grade E) and once for punching (Grade D).  Can't ask for more than that.  He could be out for 10 weeks in total.

Just two players charged from this game.

Dane Manning has been charged twice: with a Grade E intentional striking with the shoulder, and Grade D punching.  He doesn't have the right to an EGP with either of those charges.

Kurt Haggerty charged with a Grade C punching.  He does have the right to an EGP.

I would imagine Manning is going to get a very long ban.  Grade E alone is 4 to 8 matches.

I suspect the 2 charged are from the fact that they were sent off. Following video review I'd expect there to be a few more......

I suspect the 2 charged are from the fact that they were sent off. Following video review I'd expect there to be a few more......

It'll be squeeky bum time for 2 or 3 from each team from what I could pick out from the (poor quality) footage I've seen.

The ref's problem was that there looked to be things breaking out all over. Could well be that officials of both Clubs could well be summoned to Red Hall in the next few days. There will be a lot of fall out from this.

In the clip quite late on, after the brawl had flared up again the ref still seemed quite passive and allowed the players to mill around close to each other. He should have been bawling at them, using his arms to get them to both retreat to their own 40's.

He looked like a little lost lad.

As a ref you are encouraged to keep well away from brawls because

1. You could get hit

2. You have a better view of any blindside hits.

Not like the good old days when refs would get in the middle of it, and maybe throw a couple themselves.

However, you have to use whatever means you can to stop it. Voice, body language etc. And certainly when it's stopped you have to separate the sides by a good distance before discussing and acting.

Not sure about this case, but a lot of refs now get fast tracked through academies and scholarships where the discipline is usually very good. Doing your time in the Pennine League and National Conference seems to be a thing of the past.

As a ref you are encouraged to keep well away from brawls because

1. You could get hit

2. You have a better view of any blindside hits.

Not like the good old days when refs would get in the middle of it, and maybe throw a couple themselves.

However, you have to use whatever means you can to stop it. Voice, body language etc. And certainly when it's stopped you have to separate the sides by a good distance before discussing and acting.

Not sure about this case, but a lot of refs now get fast tracked through academies and scholarships where the discipline is usually very good. Doing your time in the Pennine League and National Conference seems to be a thing of the past.

Yep, I'm not suggesting that he should get in the middle, but there were a couple of opportunities where the fighting had stopped - that's where he should have been using his presence to split them up. It doesn't look like that happened and they went at it again!

Of course this is just my opinion from a Youtube clip, but he didn;t look massively in control of the situation, not that i'm suggesting it is easy!

certainly going to make the next game between these two even more interesting!.. especially if Barlow and Manning are playing.

Incidently, does anyone see a great deal of difference between this incident and the infamous Les Boyd hit of Daryll Brohman? of course that was at a time when the ARL were looking to clean up the game down under, and Boyd got given a 12 month ban even though he never got sent off for the foul,but was later cited by Brohman's club Penrith. Could such a thing be done by Leigh?

I don't follow the fortunes of Leigh Centurions very closely but they do seem to have their fair share of discipline problems,in a number of areas,in a number of games.

As they have acquired a squad of players from full time training clubs they may feel they can 'try it on' against part timers.

Sam Barlow has in the past managed to upset a number of otherwise unflappable individuals.

My attention has been drawn to the following link by a posting on the Halifax forum.I feel in total agreement with it.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_15332-mcdermott-urges-rfl-to-get-tough-with-thugs.html

In the clip quite late on, after the brawl had flared up again the ref still seemed quite passive and allowed the players to mill around close to each other. He should have been bawling at them, using his arms to get them to both retreat to their own 40's.

He looked like a little lost lad.

What ref's should do on occasions like this is to get both sets of players to retreat back toward their own line, and lay a red card on an appropriate line marker, stating that any player that crosses that line will receive his marching orders.

Shocking foul from Manning, let's hope he does get a long ban.

After that it looks like both teams were up for the fight. Leigh have a weekly slot at the Disciplinary Committee who pretty much seem unable to find anyone guilty of anything serious. Eleven players appeared at Disciplinary after previous Halifax v Leigh. No moral high ground for either team.

All the refs fault of course.

After that it looks like both teams were up for the fight. Leigh have a weekly slot at the Disciplinary Committee who pretty much seem unable to find anyone guilty of anything serious. Eleven players appeared at Disciplinary after previous Halifax v Leigh. No moral high ground for either team.

No, but that hit of Manning's was exceptional, even taking into consideration the history between these two teams.

All the refs fault of course.

Who did you have sent off for cleaning Ryan Brierley with a high shot ?

Who did you have sent off for cleaning Ryan Brierley with a high shot ?

Cleaning out? He managed to get to his feet straight after the sending off and score in the second half. Sending off sufficient or more likely sending off unjustified. And your coach had to be restrained as well. But let's not detract from Leigh's weekly appearances at the Disciplinary Committee. More appearances than anyone else regardless of who is the opposition or who is the referee.

Cleaning out? He managed to get to his feet straight after the sending off and score in the second half. Sending off sufficient or more likely sending off unjustified. And your coach had to be restrained as well. But let's not detract from Leigh's weekly appearances at the Disciplinary Committee. More appearances than anyone else regardless of who is the opposition or who is the referee.

It's great playing all of these Yarkshire sides who attempt to play too robust. Manning will end up with a lengthy ban and Haggerty will cop a couple. Regards more appearances before the judiciary we've yet to have someone receive a ban,still you didn't mention that.. Now jog on boy.

Sam Barlow was very lucky the match officials or Video didnt see him swinging punches at Gareth Potts on the sideline in the first game at The Shay this year. This was after he was red carded for hitting Dane Manning in a tackle. Barlow has history of this type of thing. He spat at fev fans at the Grand Final and he also headbutted one of the Batley players whom he had just tackled when he play for Fax a couple of years ago. Leigh have a number of players who push the limits with what they do and probably why many have been reported. Sarsfield trying to rough up Peacock was I suppose OK. Its not the first brawl Leigh have been involved in this year and its not just against Fax they have had problems. Trying to paint Leigh as Angels is a bit of a joke 

Leigh are no Angels, but we have a trend of teams targeting our players late - McAvoy has just got 3 games for doing that against us when he hit Penky late. Fax hit Barlow late 2/3 times before the last one, took McNally out also. Brierley at Dewsbury etc all in the past few games

This is how it was 70/80's, it is cowardl, very dangerous and must be removed from the sport - it rarely happens in SL, why?

It's great playing all of these Yarkshire sides who attempt to play too robust. Manning will end up with a lengthy ban and Haggerty will cop a couple. Regards more appearances before the judiciary we've yet to have someone receive a ban,still you didn't mention that.. Now jog on boy.

We've yet to have someone receive a ban......really?

Penkywicz one match ban v Fev

Emmet one match ban v Halifax

and plenty of other cases of punching and fighting where the Disciplinary Committee decided on no further action or fines. And if anyone wants a laugh, read some of the Leigh cases for the defence.

It's simple, teams like yours rely on a game plan to bring us to your low level. It involves slowing the game down, a short 10m and plenty niggle- a good ref sorts it a poor one loses it

Too many clubs at our level have no fans and no hope, and have a deep rooted resentment of the few that do