Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Southern Tiger

USA V Samoa

23 posts in this topic

Good international initiative, but surely Samoa will be far too strong?

post-29381-0-88869700-1402985845_thumb.jpg

This seems to be an AmNRL event, and the last wag of the tail from a dying dog.  I imagine it is a team of remaining AmNRL players and rugby union players against a team of USA based Samoan rugby union players.

Also, despite it being AmNRL, there is no specific mention of rugby league.

but what if the AMNRL loses its sanction, and USARL is granted as the "owners" of a national team.

but what if the AMNRL loses its sanction, and USARL is granted as the "owners" of a national team.

The AmNRL are playing a generic 'rugby'.  I very much doubt that the Samoan RL are behind the game.  

It's being promoted on the Samoa fb rl page now, with a version of the poster with 'league' inserted under the 'rugby'!

INTERNATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE: USA Tomahawks World Cup vs Rugby League Samoa (RLS) at Aloha Stadium - Rugby League International Federation RLIF sanctioned Test match featuring two of 2013 Rugby League World Cup semi-finalist. Check fb: Grand Pacific Events for updates, entertainment schedule, player profiles and more.

https://www.facebook.com/GrandPacificEvents

USA to play Samoa in Hawaii with NSW Country facing a Hawaiian outfit! Great news, and what's more it looks like this is a USARL/AMNRL united team 

I cannot see any reference to the USARL on the poster, am I missing something?  

I know rugby league in Hawaii was largely based on RU players (as RL generally is to start with), and affiliated with the AmNRL.  It then started becoming a little more independent, but now might be the only remenent of the AmNRL left.

seems to be AMNRL last ditch effort to keep things going and build what ever they can off the WC performance.

I read somewhere that Nui and a few others were set to launch a 'Rugby League Federation of America' and were bidding for RLIF membership. So it doesn't look like the AMNRL v USARL is over yet. 

I read somewhere that Nui and a few others were set to launch a 'Rugby League Federation of America' and were bidding for RLIF membership. So it doesn't look like the AMNRL v USARL is over yet. 

If that's the case, the new body shouldn't get membership. It should be USARL

I don't understand David Niu. He drops his involvement in league at a whim a year or so ago, and all of a sudden he reappears as if nothing happened and starts to make waves in the scene again, this after having allowed the work he'd previously put in to all but wither away. It makes no sense, and gets right on my wick.

I don't understand David Niu. He drops his involvement in league at a whim a year or so ago, and all of a sudden he reappears as if nothing happened and starts to make waves in the scene again, this after having allowed the work he'd previously put in to all but wither away. It makes no sense, and gets right on my wick.

It was a bit of work he did and all the work he took credit for.

anyone else see the tomahawks response on facebook, cant recall who exactly asked but the statement/question was said, why usarl and amnrl dont just merge and who ever handles the hawks faceboook page responded back with something along the lines of, we tried talking to usarl but they make it impossible (paraphrasing) , that comment has since been deleted! now in response to matt steel statement they say that thats what they are arguing for "That is a solution we have repeatedly argued for. The great game of rugby league needs a united America!"

funny they slam the usarl then back track and say that they want the same thing.

It was a bit of work he did and all the work he took credit for.

Fair point.