Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TIM THE LION

Today's MEN website

41 posts in this topic

Little bit at the bottom of a Salford story regarding the proposed stadium. Fingers crossed.

Below is the quote on the MEN website:-

Koukash says he will be ‘horrified’ if plans for a new community stadium for Swinton Lions in the centre of the town are turned down by.

Koukash and his team will be ready in the next few days to provide council bosses with their plans.

He said: “This is very much a stadium with a bit of everything right in the middle of the community.

“It can be used all year round and not just for say 14 games in a season. The location is ideal and it includes space for restaurants, shops and a hotel. I will be horrified, disappointed and very surprised if it is not approved.”

Its encouraging to see this but I would have thought plans would have already been submitted by now.

Think they have till the end of this month with the exclusivity agreement to submit their proposals.

The plans were due to be submitted by 30 June 2014.

Generally people do not get provided with say a 3 month "window" if the information can be provided in a much shorter timescale and therefore I would expect that any plans would use the full time available to consider. I would also suggest this adds weight to the fact that this is a serious proposal.

Fingers crossed.

This is not a formal planning application just amended plans that presumably Koukash wants council approval before he seeks to takeover the club.

Up untill leaving for holiday my understanding regarding this matter was the same, he has yet to advise Swinton.

Daft question but is he legally obliged to give the club any notice before a takeover approach is made? Or can he just ring up one day with an offer?

The 3 month exclusivity arrangement ends on 30 June, by which time we understand that MK will have submitted his proposals. That's not to say the council will give a verdict straight away. Chances are there could still be further discussion beyond that date re the finer detail before there is a final yes or no. My advice would be to not read too much into it if there is nothing concrete announced in July (or indeed August when council tends to be in recess).

And to re-iterate Marshy's point, the club has received no approach whatsoever regarding a take-over. Furthermore we don't expect any approach whatsoever unless the stadium deal comes through, and even then we have had no proposals or assurances one way or the other. I am simply putting facts on the table here in order to be transparent with our fans.

No disrespect to the current board but if I built a stadium in Swinton and we are strapped for cash I would think it would be a foregone conclusion too!

With respect Loyallion he can build a Stadium and that would be fantastic because then we can start to talk about a tenancy for said stadium.

Two questions spring to mind if Koukash takes over-

1.Will the current board of directors be disbanded

2.Will it mean the Trust is defunct

Mark

I am saying nothing as usual !!  :-)

Regarding the Trust becoming defunct......I would actually say the role of the Trust becomes even more important in the case of the Club being run by a single entity.

The Trust stepped in at the end of last year to help our wonderful club survive (again!) and has in some respects got closer to the day-to-day running of the club than it should need to.

This is also a good thing in that the Trust have been able to influence many decisions being taken by the Club by us once again being recognised as shareholders and having elected two of our committee members on to the Club Board.

Going forward the Trust have to plan for working alongside a new ownership of the club (should that emerge) and/or be prepared for the next crisis!!!

Owners can come and go, but the Club (and the Trust) need to continue through thick and thin.

Paul,I take your point about new owners can come and go thus leaving a club to fight for it`s own survival.But whilst a new rich owner is in control won`t this diminish the influence of any trust and be considered superfluous to outsiders. 

The new owner can do whatever he chooses that's his prerogative as owner.Until the present owners meet with Dr Koukash nobody knows what involvement or plans he has for the Lions.

On the contrary, we have met the Koukash camp on several occasions, the latest very recently, and have maintained friendly & frank dialogue. But, at risk of repeating myself, there is no new stadium yet, & there has been no indication of any forthcoming take-over yet (let alone what form it might take should it ever happen). As and when the present Board has to make a decision it will be done in the best interests of the club & its fans. As far as we're concerned all options are possible. But let's say for argument's sake MK stages a total buy-out, I still think a strong Supporters Trust would be important as a method of bringing a strong and cohesive fans' message to the owner. MK has already proven at Salford that he is very willing to engage with supporters' groups.

Well MK has proven a few things -one being that his word is not to be trusted. "I am confident this will be one of the top five hotels in Europe " he declared before his hotel development business El Layla properties collapsed. I remain concerned that Salford City Council are stupid enough to enter into business dealings with this man and remain equally saddened that Swinton Lions are desperate and gullible enough that they too become taken in by all the talk. His business reputation (6 dissolved companies) and his failed bids to buy football and rugby clubs are public domain knowledge -is no one doing their homework here?

Well MK has proven a few things -one being that his word is not to be trusted. "I am confident this will be one of the top five hotels in Europe " he declared before his hotel development business El Layla properties collapsed. I remain concerned that Salford City Council are stupid enough to enter into business dealings with this man and remain equally saddened that Swinton Lions are desperate and gullible enough that they too become taken in by all the talk. His business reputation (6 dissolved companies) and his failed bids to buy football and rugby clubs are public domain knowledge -is no one doing their homework here?