Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TIM THE LION

John Duffy in for Watto?

133 posts in this topic

Reports coming from Neil Barker on twitter suggest Watto will be Iyesten Harris's assistant at Salford and that John Duffy ( ex Leigh) will be his replacement at the Lions could some one from the club please let us know if this has any foundation in reality. Thanks in advance.

According to BBC Manchester he's going, perfect timing, not. Still can't blame the man too good an opportunity to pass up. Good luck if you do go Watto, all the best.

Hi Everyone

According to the board we will have a statement later today.  Thanks for your patience

Riggy

The story is obviously correct. As Riggy has mentioned there will be a formal statement later today both on here & on the website.

Obviously a great opportunity for Ian Watson, but why go now, having done so much hard work to put the team together, under extremely difficult circumstances and now having a winning team, just seems strange to me....................

Ian is at the end of his playing career and can not afford to turn down opportunities like these if his ambition is in coaching. If it is correct then I whole heartedly thank him for what he has done for us over the years. I'm not happy, but that's the way it goes. As for John Duffy.......

Is it coincidental timing with the end of the exclusivity period with council coming up or am I reading far too much into this?

Wayne this could be due to Riggy's work load and the fact I believe he has to forward stuff on to appear on the forum, a throw back to the previous regime.

Wayne this could be due to Riggy's work load and the fact I believe he has to forward stuff on to appear on the forum, a throw back to the previous regime.

Let's not blame the past let's fix it for the future so we can look slightly professional. and no I'm not having a dig at riggy

Wayne

The following tweets are the official press release issued by the clubs board.....

Last week the Swinton Lions Board was contacted by Ian Watson & advised that he had accepted a role as Assistant Coach at Salford Red Devils

This opportunity for him to advance in the Coaching environment met with his ambitions on a personal basis & one he did not wish to miss.

Following conversations between the Swinton Board and Salford Red Devils it was decided that we would accept Ian's resignation. This allowed us time to fill the vacancy and ensure that the recent momentum with team performance and results was not weakened.

Both parties agreed to this, allowing us to play Sunday's game against Barrow with full focus.

Clearly this was the correct decision and we would like to thank Salford for their support in respect of this.

Ian has now been released from his contract to join Salford to pursue his ambitions.

John Roddy Development Director for Swinton Lions said 'It was a shock when we received Ian's resignation, however we fully appreciate that in any young coach's career, it is important that they can pursue their ambitions.

Whilst not the best timing, Ian does leave us in a good position and one which a new coach can pick up very quickly working with Wes & Marlon. May I on behalf of the Swinton Lions Board wish Ian all the very best of luck at Salford and we thank him for his hard work with us.

The board will announce Ian Watson's successor later today!

On behalf of the Trust & all connected with ‪#‎SwintonLions‬ I would like to thank Ian Watson for everything & wish him well in his new role

Via twitter, John Duffy appointed head coach statement to follow

A big thank you to Ian Watson for his efforts for the club and every best wish for success in his new role.  Obviously a move into a Super League coaching job in the local area is a great opportunity for Ian and he deserves the chance to develop his career at that level.

It's an awful loss for us at a crucial point in the season as Watto is such an important cog in the set up on and off the field.  It will be extremely hard to fill his boots. An already difficult battle for survival in the Champioship just got a whole lot harder.