Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TIM THE LION

John Duffy in for Watto?

133 posts in this topic

Just updated the website

Riggy

Can I commend the board on how they have dealt with this and the swift (though considered) appointment of John Duffy.

I am however still disappointed with Salford to leak the story to the press before your chance to announce and attempts to create media at other clubs expense.

I would wish Ian good luck but it is Salford so I won't.

I think the move to Salford is a good move for Watto on a personal level for him and I wish him well for the future. Don't know much about Duffy other than he was a player who always gave 100% so not sure what if any coaching credentials he has but if he is the one them I'm behind him 100%.

More concerning for me though is the bigger picture and what I'd like to understand is the motives of this John Roddy and what exactly his interests in our club are.

Knowing a few people close to the club at Leigh and working in the community game and also living in the Wigan area these days it's fair to say John left Leigh in confusing circumstances with the clubs official press release sighting work commitments yet a strong rumour supported by some high profile people in local RL circles in the town suggest he was left with no alternative but to stand down as he had failed to meet financial commitments that he'd agreed to along with rest of the Leigh Board and iwas on borrowed time for a long while before jumping ship.

It looks like the Leigh club were pretty gracious and have declined to publicly comment or confirm these rumours but privately I believe a few of their directors have confirmed these stories to be true. I would imagine they were hardly very happy when he decided to show his face so quickly at a club operating out of the same stadium and It now appears he's using his links with Leigh and the Leigh Community Foundation (whom John Duffy is currently employed by) which I can't see being very well received by the powers that be at Leigh.

I truly hope that this is not just an ego maniac who's come to our club to for some kind of personal gain or to get back at his former club by ruffling a few feathers.

As John has posted on here it would be interesting to see if he can deny or confirm the above and also weather he could go on record as to state why he has chosen to get involved at Swinton and his motives for doing so. According to companies house he is also still a share holder still at Leigh though rumours are he's relinquished his shares to somebody operating on the very same Foundations board that he is taking Duffy from.

Be interesting to hear Johns side of the story if indeed he is a man who's willing to demonstrate his transparency to us the fans.

I think the move to Salford is a good move for Watto on a personal level for him and I wish him well for the future. Don't know much about Duffy other than he was a player who always gave 100% so not sure what if any coaching credentials he has but if he is the one them I'm behind him 100%.

More concerning for me though is the bigger picture and what I'd like to understand is the motives of this John Roddy and what exactly his interests in our club are.

Knowing a few people close to the club at Leigh and working in the community game and also living in the Wigan area these days it's fair to say John left Leigh in confusing circumstances with the clubs official press release sighting work commitments yet a strong rumour supported by some high profile people in local RL circles in the town suggest he was left with no alternative but to stand down as he had failed to meet financial commitments that he'd agreed to along with rest of the Leigh Board and iwas on borrowed time for a long while before jumping ship.

It looks like the Leigh club were pretty gracious and have declined to publicly comment or confirm these rumours but privately I believe a few of their directors have confirmed these stories to be true. I would imagine they were hardly very happy when he decided to show his face so quickly at a club operating out of the same stadium and It now appears he's using his links with Leigh and the Leigh Community Foundation (whom John Duffy is currently employed by) which I can't see being very well received by the powers that be at Leigh.

I truly hope that this is not just an ego maniac who's come to our club to for some kind of personal gain or to get back at his former club by ruffling a few feathers.

As John has posted on here it would be interesting to see if he can deny or confirm the above and also weather he could go on record as to state why he has chosen to get involved at Swinton and his motives for doing so. According to companies house he is also still a share holder still at Leigh though rumours are he's relinquished his shares to somebody operating on the very same Foundations board that he is taking Duffy from.

Be interesting to hear Johns side of the story if indeed he is a man who's willing to demonstrate his transparency to us the fans.

Having now known for a good few weeks I find him of very good character and certainly open.

I would have no doubt he will deal with your questions but quite frankly a lot of what you ask is personal and maybe should have been asked face to face .... He is very approachable you will find.

I'm absolutely certain John doesn't need me to defend him and he might not thank me for writing this, but once you start digging into old club politics you will always uncover opinion, gossip and agendas, and it can be difficult to know for certain what to believe. Or perhaps there is simply no "story" to uncover in the first place!

In my view the situation is simple. John comes to Swinton as a successful businessman very experienced in Rugby League, and we should just judge him on his record with the Lions (as also applies to the rest of us). John's experience should be invaluable in helping to structure us going forward (following an incredibly difficult 6 months for which the players and coaches deserve a huge amount of respect & praise). Let's look to the future as ONE TEAM, and extend a big Swinton welcome to both John Roddy & John Duffy. If there must be a judge let it be history.

Hi Lion58 sorry being new to the club, I don't know who you are! I will be in the bar after the game on Sunday please feel free to buy me a pint and I will happily answer your questions, providing you are happy to share your personal information ;)

Please try to resist listening to gossip and focus like me and the rest of the board on securing our future in the Championship next season.

I am by personal choice responding to the boards request for me to support them and I have worked really hard during the past 2/3 weeks to assist - my only reason (motive ??) for doing so is I don't want us to drop down into C1 - I hope that is enough?

Having dealt with a difficult situation for the club during the last week this 'egomaniac' intends to now go back into a role trying to source increased income for the club, improve communication and hopefully supporter numbers!

See you Sunday!

Best wishes John

I know one thing for certain

No one joins a rugby league board hoping to make any money

So the only motivating factor for an egomaniac would be adulation

Seeing as this is Swinton then the blokes joined the wrong club

Only three weeks ago some fans were calling for Wattos head. Now we are dismayed at his resignation.

Not a place for an egomaniac but maybe a masochist.

The shadowy world of rugby league directorship at Swinton is a thing of the past I believe with gents like Wild and Marshall steering our ship

This new regime is the future and good luck to us all

So it's welcome to Swinton Lions to John Duffy.  As with Gary Chambers last season he takes over in far from ideal circumstances but he should be given the chance to show what he can do for us and maybe, as Chambers did, he will lead us to another great escape.

We know who will coach the team but a concern remains in who will take over in Watto's on field role as he led the team and dictated play from scrum half.  He may have been slowing down but his wealth of experience was invaluable.

I await developments with interest and will be keen to see how the team respond on Sunday against a Workington side who are going well at present. We need the fourth win in a row so come on John Duffy and all the team let's continue the climb up the table.

Dummy Scissors John Duffy will coach the team along with Marlon and Wes and I'm very hopeful they will do a damn fine job.

Good luck Ian for the future, youve been a great player, good coach in very difficult circumstances and a honest and very humble person, big thanks

I'm absolutely certain John doesn't need me to defend him and he might not thank me for writing this, but once you start digging into old club politics you will always uncover opinion, gossip and agendas, and it can be difficult to know for certain what to believe. Or perhaps there is simply no "story" to uncover in the first place!

In my view the situation is simple. John comes to Swinton as a successful businessman very experienced in Rugby League, and we should just judge him on his record with the Lions (as also applies to the rest of us). John's experience should be invaluable in helping to structure us going forward (following an incredibly difficult 6 months for which the players and coaches deserve a huge amount of respect & praise). Let's look to the future as ONE TEAM, and extend a big Swinton welcome to both John Roddy & John Duffy. If there must be a judge let it be history.

Excellently well put Steve.

Hi Lion58 sorry being new to the club, I don't know who you are! I will be in the bar after the game on Sunday please feel free to buy me a pint and I will happily answer your questions, providing you are happy to share your personal information ;)

Please try to resist listening to gossip and focus like me and the rest of the board on securing our future in the Championship next season.

I am by personal choice responding to the boards request for me to support them and I have worked really hard during the past 2/3 weeks to assist - my only reason (motive ??) for doing so is I don't want us to drop down into C1 - I hope that is enough?

Having dealt with a difficult situation for the club during the last week this 'egomaniac' intends to now go back into a role trying to source increased income for the club, improve communication and hopefully supporter numbers!

See you Sunday!

Best wishes John

Thanks for taking time out to respond John , if not to answer the questions I asked.

Wish you luck and really hope you can help avoid relegation and what will surely be extinction for the club having to operate in Championship One.

PS with a sidestep and swerve like that you should play stand off Sunday mate.

You sure your in security and not politics ;-)

All the Best.

I assure you I don't make a habit of spreading or listening to rumours from any old source.

I've had it on pretty good authority that John left his post at Leigh due to being put under pressure to deliver financially on commitments I believe that he made but never saw through.

I also believe he is not that experienced in RL as people seem to think and his relatively short involvement at Leigh was indeed his first real involvement in the sport as either a amateur or professional at any level.

It's also muted he was used as nothing more than a figurehead at leigh by the new board and investors who are steering leigh on a journey to Super League with or without him it seems.

Seems a decent guy and I sincerely hope he and his chosen new coach can help us avoid the drop into what will be the league that time forgot next year and the inevitable slow painful death.

With the above in mind I wonder if he has yet invested any cash into our club yet by the way?

The cynic in me sees a bloke who's neither a Leigh or Swinton supporter looking to outlay very little cash but use smaller clubs to get to bigger and better things like perhaps Salford who he's already flirted with by the looks of his twitter account or maybe even his hometown club Wire.

Hope I'm wrong but suppose time will tell.

Dummy Scissors John Duffy will coach the team along with Marlon and Wes and I'm very hopeful they will do a damn fine job.

I am quite clear on who will now be coaching the team Marshy and as I said I hope Duffy and company can pull us through and avoid relegation but I remain interested to see how Watson's on field influence and experience will be covered.  All will no doubt be revealed in the coming weeks beginning on Sunday against Workington. 

I assure you I don't make a habit of spreading or listening to rumours from any old source.

I've had it on pretty good authority that John left his post at Leigh due to being put under pressure to deliver financially on commitments I believe that he made but never saw through.

I also believe he is not that experienced in RL as people seem to think and his relatively short involvement at Leigh was indeed his first real involvement in the sport as either a amateur or professional at any level.

It's also muted he was used as nothing more than a figurehead at leigh by the new board and investors who are steering leigh on a journey to Super League with or without him it seems.

Seems a decent guy and I sincerely hope he and his chosen new coach can help us avoid the drop into what will be the league that time forgot next year and the inevitable slow painful death.

With the above in mind I wonder if he has yet invested any cash into our club yet by the way?

The cynic in me sees a bloke who's neither a Leigh or Swinton supporter looking to outlay very little cash but use smaller clubs to get to bigger and better things like perhaps Salford who he's already flirted with by the looks of his twitter account or maybe even his hometown club Wire.

Hope I'm wrong but suppose time will tell.

Morning Lion58 - Guess your not going to buy me that pint after Sundays game after all!

Say hi to your source from me - I'm not biting my friend!

Best wishes,

John

Went with John Duffy last night to his first training session and had a good meeting with John, Marlon and Wes - the guys were quickly gathered around the table planning for Sundays game.

It was good to see John having good banter with the players and getting stuck in.

I know that John is looking forward to meeting supporters after Sundays game and attending like me the Trust meeting second Tuesday in July..

Let's give him a warm welcome on Sunday!

Regards,

John

I'll second that, let's get right behind the lads come Sunday!

There are lots of things going on behind the scenes at the moment and again if and when they come into fruition the fans will know about them.  There are many potential sponsors being worked on at the moment .

Please get behind the board, the trust and the coaching and playing staff and lets help them get up that table.

Reminder if you have not yet joined the trust  WHY ?.    It will cost you two pounds per month minimum by standing order.   There are still a lot of regular fans who are not members but we need you on board so please join as soon as possible.

Cheers

Riggy

I am not here to defend John Roddy he's big enough and from the chats I've had with him open enough to do that himself. (Not that he needs to in my books)

What I can say is I opened a twitter account @sponsorSwinton a few weeks back, I also started ringing and emailing companies and individuals looking for ways we can work to benefit Swinton Lions. This account has brought in a small amount of money and we have linked up with some major companies who are interested in working with us.

One of the fist people I spoke to was ..... John Roddy, since then John has been an invaluable asset to me with his business knowledge and ideas he has for increasing income for the Lions, not to mention the great support John and his company are giving us this weekend so we can play our match Sunday at SP.

I would suggest if you do meet him you buy him a pint and chat with him about what he has done, is currently doing and his visions to increase our none existent commercial operations.

Good on yer and well done, Rob McGivern.

To John Roddy - I suggest you come to SP by taxi on Sunday. You'll be bladdered after all them pints! :-) good luck to you sir and to John Duffy.

EAT 'EM, LIONS!

Morning Lion58 - Guess your not going to buy me that pint after Sundays game after all!

Say hi to your source from me - I'm not biting my friend!

Best wishes,

John

Gladly buy you a pint, hopefully catch you Sunday.

As for biting I was asking what I feel are fair and reasonable questions so by not biting I presume you are not willing to publically answer them.

The old saying no smoke without fire and all that.

Benefit of doubt and all that ;)

Hi

I am not here to defend John Roddy he's big enough and from the chats I've had with him open enough to do that himself. (Not that he needs to in my books)
What I can say is I opened a twitter account @sponsorSwinton a few weeks back, I also started ringing and emailing companies and individuals looking for ways we can work to benefit Swinton Lions. This account has brought in a small amount of money and we have linked up with some major companies who are interested in working with us.
One of the fist people I spoke to was ..... John Roddy, since then John has been an invaluable asset to me with his business knowledge and ideas he has for increasing income for the Lions, not to mention the great support John and his company are giving us this weekend so we can play our match Sunday at SP.
I would suggest if you do meet him you buy him a pint and chat with him about what he has done, is currently doing and his visions to increase our none existent commercial operations.

Hi Rob, I have been told you are approaching Leigh's contacts and community clubs. Is this true and if so why? Surely your medium term future is not in Leigh?

Swinton have a long history of having Leigh players in their team

Don't start trouble causing this is nothing new if indeed it is happening

Your lot is nice and bonny at the moment. We are just trying to survive.

Lion58 I think you've made your point, have a word with John Roddy on Sunday and get it off your chest in person!

sweaty craiq, anyone is quite entitled to contact anyone, you don't have '1st dibs' on potential sponsors or players! Go and wind someone else up eh!