Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future is League

The Guardian newspaper has dropped in Rugby League coverage

26 posts in this topic

It'll be back after World Cup and Wimbledon. Shame it's that far down the list though.

RL is apparently two characters too many to fit in the tabs.......... ? 

It makes sense to them to make it difficult to follow RL in the paper rather than for instance use abbreviations in the menu. 

The Telegraph have virtually removed RL firstly by reducing coverage then putting it into "other sport" so watch this space with the Guardian.. They have steadily reduced  coverage over the last 12 months and have already lost quite a lot of attention from readers by doing so. The same trick may be underway.  

This isn't a trivial matter. Prospective sponsors will take note of this sort of thing and it has a lot of influence.  

On your link, RL appears in other sports on the right lower down.

But it's still not good to see the profile lowered.

It's only the Guardian. It's not as if anyone actually reads that rubbish.

its a popular read among tree hugging head mistresses

Even your avatar's knee is jerking, John! ;)

I still have rugby league as a section on the app.

Yep, me too, although the NRL does dominate.

Even your avatar's knee is jerking, John! ;)

Yes, it does look like that, I admit. What you can''t see, though is that I am actually wiping my feet on the Guardian as a measure of the esteem in which I hold the rag.

I have beta version of the site and Rugby League is fourth tab after Football, World Cup & Rugby Union. Don't see any harm in having the copy from the Aus site in the UK version as well.

The Guardian is an international website for middle and upper class liberals. It is a concern though. People talk about how the internet has made traditional media obsolete, but I think its had the complete opposite effect. But RL, a major sport in the UK and one of the two main sports in Australia will ensure that it gets good representation.    

The Grauniad sends its RL correspondent to cover cricket in the middle of the rugby season - the sports section goes in the bin unread. If I didn't have the internet I'd be seriously put out, but as it is....

How many of the people complaining actually buy and / or read the guardian?

Just JohnM, really... :P

Why would that stop you from commenting? I don't buy any paper but don't want to see them drop RL. Well, what little is left. especially seeing as The Guardian is meant to be a bit of an alternative.

I'm not sure the issue has anything to do with that. The Guardian is one of the top visited websites in the English speaking world. Losing presence on it is not something that should be blown off as 

If the Mail Online (I believe its now the most visited news site on the planet) has RL as its 4th option after football, cricket and union, why is the Guardian different? 

It should be said that RL coverage as a whole is probably not diminishing, as the NRL is prominent, but its not a great state of affairs when our own national publications move sports invented within these borders at the expense of foreign sports and leagues. 

The Manchester Guardian, which became a de facto UK Guardian, is now well on its way to becoming the World Guardian. Where that leaves Super League in its portfolio is anyones guess. 

For a democratic sport that was founded on the principle that anyone could play regardless of background, there's a lot of slights against the perceived class of Guardian readers on this thread. What happened to that inclusivity? Our sport is for everyone!

The issue being I if you don't go there to read it or buy the paper don't be surprised if they drop or diminish their coverage.

It's a bit like complaining about the lack of local green grocers on the high street while doing all your shopping in Waitrose ( I was going to put Tesco but as a southern RU fan I have a certain image to maintain)

For a democratic sport that was founded on the principle that anyone could play regardless dof background, there's a lot of slights against the perceived class of Guardian readers on this thread. What happened to that inclusivity? Our sport is for everyone!

Most readers of the guardian would find RL barbaric on a par with fox hunting or badger baiting

Most readers of the guardian would find RL barbaric on a par with fox hunting or badger baiting

Possibly, but we do actually rather enjoy tormenting trolls.