Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

Ade Gardner to switch codes?

66 posts in this topic

I think the Beeb is saying he is keen to change codes when it doesn't look like he has said any such thing. Is there a ban on RL players being picked for the olympic sevens?

He should get in touch with Latin Heat and play for them!

I just saw the video on the BBC site and he says (not verbatim) "I got in touch with them over there to mention I would be available, looking for a free holiday more than anything"

Not sure how popular union is over in Brazil, though i know the world sevens is scheduled to be played there the year before the Olympics, though more to drive the sport to the uninitiated as it nears inclusion in the Olympics the following year. That and the fact Brazil is one of the major emerging markets, so theres money to be made there (despite the abject poverty in parts of the country, bit like India). Luckily for union, they have the money and foresight to do such things.

Two things we lack.

Good luck to Ade Gardner if he does make it into their Olympic squad.

Dont think he is one that would be welcomed back

He's not leaving just trying to get a cameo gig at the Olympics for his country of heritage. Do you read anything before posting?

I for one would not begrudge anyone a chance to be invovled in the olympics AND get a free jolly to Rio.

A few years back I heard that my old PE teacher had ended up in Brazil as coach to their union team. There must be worse jobs in the world! 

There is actually scope for a rugby league player to get in the GB 7s squad.  If it were the commonwealth games then the individual associations would just choose their current 7s squads but because it's going to have to be a GB-wide effort it will be an independent coach choosing the squad.  I see nothing wrong with a rugby league player having a few weeks off to go play 7s then coming straight back to his RL club.

There is actually scope for a rugby league player to get in the GB 7s squad.  If it were the commonwealth games then the individual associations would just choose their current 7s squads but because it's going to have to be a GB-wide effort it will be an independent coach choosing the squad.  I see nothing wrong with a rugby league player having a few weeks off to go play 7s then coming straight back to his RL club.

It would be nice for the players but how many clubs would really be willing to let players go. I doubt any would.

Its looks like the players can come and go as they please nowadays games becoming a joke

Its looks like the players can come and go as they please nowadays games becoming a joke

How is it becoming a joke? If a players contract is up no one can stop him leaving, if he wants to leave and a team gets some money for him, great. If he wants to come back and someone wants to sign him then fair play. Don't see a problem myself. It's just a job at the end of the day.

Who is going where?

If he goes and plays in the olympics for two weeks, fair dos.

I actually think that it should be encouraged - it'd be tough to schedule in a two week SL break, but it'd give us a chance to show off the RL boys compared with the RU boys without getting bogged down in real rucking and mauling...

Why shouldn't they?  A professional RL player will probably have about 5-6 years maximum at top earning capacity, following their lower income as a younger player and reducing earnings in their last couple of seasons, and even then only if he's one of 2-3 in a squad who a club will stretch for.  90%+ of professional RL players will earn less than a middle manager in a moderately sized company.  All for a career that can end in one poorly timed hit or slip snapping a ligament on a greasy pitch or even just slipping down the stairs at home.  Then you have the inevitability that most professional players will have long-term complications from joint injuries, muscle problems, concussion issues, mental health issues or so on.

If a professional player can earn more money to extend his career or provide for his retirement then you have to be a particular sort of pedant or **** to begrudge him that.

Who is going where?

If he goes and plays in the olympics for two weeks, fair dos.

I actually think that it should be encouraged - it'd be tough to schedule in a two week SL break, but it'd give us a chance to show off the RL boys compared with the RU boys without getting bogged down in real rucking and mauling...

What would be your reaction if say five players from the club you supported decided to go

Like I say, I think there should be a break in SL that year. Then I'd be more than happy. Good for them. Represent their nation at the olympics? Who wouldn't want to.

Admittedly, if there wasn't a break it'd irk a little, but still - I think I could understand their choice.

Why shouldn't they? A professional RL player will probably have about 5-6 years maximum at top earning capacity, following their lower income as a younger player and reducing earnings in their last couple of seasons, and even then only if he's one of 2-3 in a squad who a club will stretch for. 90%+ of professional RL players will earn less than a middle manager in a moderately sized company. All for a career that can end in one poorly timed hit or slip snapping a ligament on a greasy pitch or even just slipping down the stairs at home. Then you have the inevitability that most professional players will have long-term complications from joint injuries, muscle problems, concussion issues, mental health issues or so on.

If a professional player can earn more money to extend his career or provide for his retirement then you have to be a particular sort of pedant or **** to begrudge him that.

Dont think he would earn much money playing in that circus but if thats the attitude of players no wonder the game is on its knees there was more loyalty when it was part time

Like I say, I think there should be a break in SL that year. Then I'd be more than happy. Good for them. Represent their nation at the olympics? Who wouldn't want to.

Admittedly, if there wasn't a break it'd irk a little, but still - I think I could understand their choice.

so you're saying the SL should take a break so it's players can go play a different sport

Dont think he would earn much money playing in that circus but if thats the attitude of players no wonder the game is on its knees there was more loyalty when it was part time

Gardner's played pro RL for what, 13 years? And in the twilight of his career you're criticising him for considering the chance to represent his Mother's country in their home Olympic games?

This one aint about money I'm afraid, and I completely understand him wanting to go. In fact I think I'd judge him more if he didn't watch to go!

Fair play to him, I hope he has an amazing time and does well for Brazil, I'll be supporting them!

Lionheart has to be on a wind up.. seriously.

Would it be ok for Lionel Messi to take two week off from Barcelona to play table tennis for Argentina because thats exactly what Ade Gardner wants to do. Tell me the difference?

Would it be ok for Lionel Messi to take two week off from Barcelona to play table tennis for Argentina because thats exactly what Ade Gardner wants to do. Tell me the difference?

Are there many transferable skills in table tennis from football then?

Whats that got to do with the price of eggs

I see. 

I think we're done here.