Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shaun mc

Tour De France - Yorkshire

244 posts in this topic

Am thinking of going to see this at some point - probably the Saturday stage

Trying to get an idea of how large an event it actually going to be and whats the likelihood of just being able to turn up to any point on the stage. Signs have gone up on the M6 stating long delays east over the 2 days

Think Skipton will be busy as its possible to base yourself there for 2 nights and see both the Saturday and Sunday stages

Was thinking of trying to get to one of the climbs on Saturday - where's best? 

Staying in Holmfirth over that weekend, accommodation arranged six months ago. probably watching in Thongsbridge. Many roads will be closed -see local press for details. Vehicular travel near route will be virtually impossible and long walk will be the order of the day. Organisers expecting spectators in Holme valley to number hundreds of thousands.

Let's see if I've got this right.

Your proposing to go and stand on the side of the road to watch a group of men go cycling past you in brightly coloured Lycra?

You are going to travel X distance to watch 30 seconds worth of cyclists huff and puff past you?

Mmmm"...........seems strange to me. Still everyone to their own.

Let's see if I've got this right.

Your proposing to go and stand on the side of the road to watch a group of men go cycling past you in brightly coloured Lycra?

You are going to travel X distance to watch 30 seconds worth of cyclists huff and puff past you?

Mmmm"...........seems strange to me. Still everyone to their own.

It's not much of a spectator sport but it's not 30 seconds. I saw part of a stage yonks ago in France and it took over an hour for everyone to come past.

Anyone thinking of going up to the top of Buttertubs Pass?

Its a decent climb so should be a good spectacle at the top

Now looking for ways to get in there with the wife and dog in tow. Could be an early start and a long walk in.

Have emailed a couple of farms that are offering parking

Holme Moss for us two

Seeing as I can't be arsed googling it, can anyone tell me if it is going near Sowerby Bridge on Saturday 5th July? I have to work that day and don't want to get caught out. Ta

Holme Moss for us two

Set off after Saturdays game then, if what I am being told is right. We're going to the game, then to Holmfirth overnight...but it's a long walk to the top!

Staying in Holmfirth over that weekend, accommodation arranged six months ago. probably watching in Thongsbridge. Many roads will be closed -see local press for details. Vehicular travel near route will be virtually impossible and long walk will be the order of the day. Organisers expecting spectators in Holme valley to number hundreds of thousands.

Apparently it is expected there will be c. 60,000 spectators on Holme Moss.

I postponed my visit home because of this event.Not that I have anything against the tour , I just think my home town will be a bit congested for a few days

60,002 since AMH has said they are going there.

60,002 since AMH has said they are going there.

We're doing similar to you - the game then hoping his lad will give us a lift up there at some ungodly hour - beer blanket and 60,000 bodies to keep us warm - we're not paying the prices they're charging to camp on official sites. 

We're staying with friends ( yes, I know, but it's true!) next door to where we used to live..ex Head of Greenhead College years ago. He tells us of many road closures in the Valley ...suggests parking well up on greenfield road and walking across! Examiner publishes details of road closures, it seems.

Which is one reason we won't be joining them. Done the whole waiting for hours on an Alpine pass thing. We're off to the spectator hub in Sheffield on the Sunday.

The climb up Jenkin Road in Sheffield could be interesting. The gradient maxes out at 33%. Might not be a lot of room on the pavement for spectators though.

Seeing as I can't be arsed googling it, can anyone tell me if it is going near Sowerby Bridge on Saturday 5th July? I have to work that day and don't want to get caught out. Ta

No it isn't, though roads in the area are likely to be very busy and will be closed at 6.30am Sunday morning.

I'm planning on walking up to somewhere around the top of Cock Hill (between Oxenhope & Hebden Bridge) to watch, as it means I won't need to consider trying to move the car.

Also thinking of taking my alu step ladders....seriously!

So I can see over folks in front and I can sit on the platform.

Anyone thinking of going up to the top of Buttertubs Pass?

Its a decent climb so should be a good spectacle at the top

Now looking for ways to get in there with the wife and dog in tow. Could be an early start and a long walk in.

Have emailed a couple of farms that are offering parking

that's my neck of the woods.

Local campsite has 1500 tents booked in. We're expecting 20,000+ in and around the tubs (Tour organisers figures). Road closed from 6pm Friday but we're expecting severe problems from Wednesday evening onwards as most people are booked in from Thurs. We have a 3 day festival in Muker alongside the campsite at Usha Gap which has sold 3,000 tickets so the bottom end of the tubs (where I live) is going to be heaving.

Fortunately we have 4 police officers drafted in staying in a local hotel, so if there's a problem at least there's someone to wave their arms around.

What I can tell you is that you will not be allowed to park your car anywhere along the route so if you do park expect to be there a long time.

Were going up Thursday for a cycling/music/food festival on the route. Riding the route on Friday and watching the two stages over the weekend. The roads will be a nightmare on Saturday and Sunday.

To those who don't think it's much of a spectacle, you are so wrong. Give it a go.

that's my neck of the woods.

Local campsite has 1500 tents booked in. We're expecting 20,000+ in and around the tubs (Tour organisers figures). Road closed from 6pm Friday but we're expecting severe problems from Wednesday evening onwards as most people are booked in from Thurs. We have a 3 day festival in Muker alongside the campsite at Usha Gap which has sold 3,000 tickets so the bottom end of the tubs (where I live) is going to be heaving.

Fortunately we have 4 police officers drafted in staying in a local hotel, so if there's a problem at least there's someone to wave their arms around.

What I can tell you is that you will not be allowed to park your car anywhere along the route so if you do park expect to be there a long time.

Thanks for the info

Can't get off work early on Friday or at all, so it may have to be a campsite - some are still offering places (unless there aren't up to date of course)

Had email from Hawes Auction Mart and they stil have parkng spaces, but have to be there before 6am

Sounded the wife out about sleeping a while in her estate car if its an overnight but not on a campsite - its a Passat and we aren't tall - but the reply was a no. Hmmm

The Muker Festival looks good and still has spaces

Weather looks as though it will turn downhill Thursday which will affect the decision whether we camp or not

Was in Liège in 2012 for the prologue. Great fun, really good event to be a part of and because they were doing a very short time trial around the city it made for good viewing and you got a good sense of the result/competition. Whether I'd be so excited about seeing them whizz past once when they've got 100 or 200 more miles to go, I'm less sure.