Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shaun mc

Tour De France - Yorkshire

244 posts in this topic

Holme Moss for us two

Me too. Going up Saturday night and stopping about 2/3rds of the way up. Just me and a sleeping bag since camping is outlawed.

Going to Leeds in the morning and onwards to Holmfirth in the afternoon and trekking up the hill early evening.

if we miss each other when only a few yards away, I don't hold out much hope at weekend

You could always watch the stage as it sweeps into Lancashire - the junction of the A58 and B6138 at Blackstone Edge Reservoir - after the climb from Mytholmroyd (allegedly the longest continuous climb in England). The junction is a sharp bend which will slow the race down and allow plenty of time for viewing.

Me too. Going up Saturday night and stopping about 2/3rds of the way up. Just me and a sleeping bag since camping is outlawed.

Going to Leeds in the morning and onwards to Holmfirth in the afternoon and trekking up the hill early evening.

if we miss each other when only a few yards away, I don't hold out much hope at weekend

We're doing the same , so a group hug to keep warm is on the cards - I'll pm my mobile so we can make sure this time :)

Truck loads of equipment and support vehicles rolled into Hull this morning off the Zeebrugge ferry. They'd even brought the gendarmerie with them.

P&O are expecting large numbers of fans to arrive on the Zeebrugge and Rotterdam ferries over the next few days.

Apparently they are also expecting several grumpy Yorkshire folk heading in the opposite direction.

Just done the Costco shop for the weekend. Now I just have to work out how to fit that plus our 9 man tent, 6 chairs, three cool boxes, four rucksacks, bedding, three bikes, bike stand, tools etc into car. Getting a bit excited now.

I was a bit miffed when the route was announced and it completely bypassed Bradford proper, now I count it as a blessing!

I hope it all goes well and everyone has a good time, but I'm absolutely at ease with it being far enough away that it shouldn't cause chaos and I can saunter to the Bulls in peace. Typical NIMBY. :biggrin:

The Tour does cause traffic chaos, but by the very nature of the event, it doesn't last very long in one particular area.

Planning where to watch it tonight,if you see a bloke dressed as Obelix and a boy dressed as Asterix,come and say hello.

Truck loads of equipment and support vehicles rolled into Hull this morning off the Zeebrugge ferry. They'd even brought the gendarmerie with them.

P&O are expecting large numbers of fans to arrive on the Zeebrugge and Rotterdam ferries over the next few days.

Apparently they are also expecting several grumpy Yorkshire folk heading in the opposite direction.

Youngest got very excited last night when he saw the Astana team bus and mechanics van on the outskirts of Leeds.

Planning where to watch it tonight,if you see a bloke dressed as Obelix and a boy dressed as Asterix,come and say hello.

Marvellous

Youngest got very excited last night when he saw the Astana team bus and mechanics van on the outskirts of Leeds.

Getting exciting now innit?

Marvellous

Getting exciting now innit?

There's a real buzz about it all,Tour De France Soundtracks on repeat in the car!

Car packed and about to set off for the campsite near Kilnsey. Will be watching stage 1 at Kidstone pass and stage 2 at Blubberhouses.

I was a bit miffed when the route was announced and it completely bypassed Bradford proper, now I count it as a blessing!

I hope it all goes well and everyone has a good time, but I'm absolutely at ease with it being far enough away that it shouldn't cause chaos and I can saunter to the Bulls in peace. Typical NIMBY. :biggrin:

I've always found bypassing Bradford a blessing. ;)

Isn't having the Tour De France in England a bit like having the World Cup on the moon

Isn't having the Tour De France in England a bit like having the World Cup on the moon

Have you been snooping on Sepp Blatter's email correspondence again?

I didn't think he could ride a bike

I didn't think he could ride a bike

Not really,no.

Not really,no.

That reponse doesn't surprise me coming from someone who thinks Terry Webb is god

That reponse doesn't surprise me coming from someone who thinks Terry Webb is god

My response was to your usual low grade attempts at "humour"

Anyway,back on thread,in Leeds for teams presentation,then sorted for viewing first stage.Can't wait.

My response was to your usual low grade attempts at "humour"

Anyway,back on thread,in Leeds for teams presentation,then sorted for viewing first stage.Can't wait.

Don't stop out too late school in the morning

Don't stop out too late school in the morning

Poor attempt.Must try harder!