Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shaun mc

Tour De France - Yorkshire

244 posts in this topic

On the 9.10 train from Bradford to Skipton tomorrow morning.

Don't stop out too late school in the morning

Oh irony where art thou?

I'm working in the morning and I'll miss the start. The Giants are playing Salford in the afternoon, so I'll be off to that, but there will be TdF coverage on the big screen at the ground.

On Sunday, I'll dander down the road for the festivities and to watch the race from outside of the Ring of Feathers, maybe with a pint of EPO  in my hand. It should be a good day. 

There are a lot of TdF related events, displays, decoration etc evident in Calderdale. Lots of campervans, tents etc are already in evidence.

It'll be many years before this event returns to this part of the country, so try to experience everything about it as much as possible, because it won't be there for very long.

Me too. Going up Saturday night and stopping about 2/3rds of the way up. Just me and a sleeping bag since camping is outlawed.

Raining heavily this afternoon. Might be best to take a polythene sheet to lay beneath you.

The race passes within 50 metres of our house and our road is closed, so we are having a street party.

The 'caravan' is supposed to be a great spectacle too and the weather is now set fair for this part of Leeds.

I'm not a big fan of the sport but it's history on my doorstep and everyone round here is really looking forward to the carnival.

wonder why they didnt put middleton and belle isle on the route

They can't pedal quickly enough to get through miggy and belle isle.200 stolen bikes in cash converters!

Enjoy to anyone whos going today. Were just about to set off for Harrogate. Im told Leeds station is packed already

EPO is, of course, a TdF commemorative beer...................

Talking of which, I had a very nice pint of Black Sheep Velo last night.

Brilliant crowds in Otley; we do enjoy a big sporting event in the UK.

The county of Broad Acres looks fantastic on telly.

Hoping for a few Tim Taylors le champion in the local tonight as a warm up for viewing le tour tomorrow. :D

Just spotted the giant yellow jersey on the church in Skipton for the Tour t'France. Good crowds, too.

This Dry stone walling history programme keeps getting interrupted by some cyclists...

...and yellow sheep!

Just got back from the de neutralized start at Harewood,fantastic atmosphere and huge crowds,made getting up at 4.30 worth it.

I watched most of the race on TV and I have to say with the sunny weather to help that Yorkshire looked gorgeous.  (Although someone might want to tell the commentators that most dry stone walls are well over 100 years old!)  I loved all the work the towns and villages put into the Tour theme, stuff like the big yellow jersey with the sheep on a bike stuck on one side of a church tower, the yellow sheep, the big yellow sheep on a bike painted on a car park in the middle of one village (I lost track of which one).  The crowds were amazing too, not just in number but in enthusiasm.  I liked how some farmers had joined in by offering up camp sites and car parks.  Hopefully they'll have earned a bit of extra cash for doing so!

Such a massive pity though that Mark Cavendish crashed so close to the finish line in Harrogate.  I was really getting in to the sprint finish until that bloke who won made an attack and spoiled it all!

Hopefully day two will be as good as day one.

It is a lovely part of the country. I spent a few days not far from there, in Richmond, a few months ago and Swaledale is ludicrously beautiful.

It is a lovely part of the country. I spent a few days not far from there, in Richmond, a few months ago and Swaledale is ludicrously beautiful.

Yep spent over a year in Catterick and loved Richmond plus the surrounding area; couldn't bring myself to buy a home there though... Family would disown me! :)

Yep spent over a year in Catterick and loved Richmond plus the surrounding area; couldn't bring myself to buy a home there though... Family would disown me! :)

Like Hebden Bridge, the main problem with Richmond is that, whichever direction you walk, it always seems to be uphill! The disused Richmond station has been redeveloped into a cafe/cinema/local speciality goods/art gallery/community centre-type place. It is a very nice, airy interior space, although the restaurant's nothing special.