Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

27/06/14 - Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?   9 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Draw
    • St Helens

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

129 posts in this topic

People see what they want to see with these things. You could easily argue that Saints players spent pretty much the whole game wrapped around the attacker and might have been penalised into oblivion on another day, so the Bateman interference was if anything well overdue. All swings and roundabouts.

Hmm I'm pretty sure he did just drop the ball on that occassion, but nothing you don't see penalties given for almost every week.

He did give Bateman a penalty when he dropped the ball, then missed a pretty blatant forward pass. It's all swings and roundabouts though, and those were probably decisions which the touch judges were more responsible for.

He did seem to let the game flow which is always nice to see.

Sky said the touchy had signalled a Dan Marino pass

Bentham didnt hear it

Wane still claimed if Wigan got "Better Ref Calls" in the 2nd half

Bentham didnt hear it

Team - beaten tick

Referee - biased in our favour without whom we'd be slaughtered tick

Wane - terrible loser tick

Fans - all left early tick

It's a Browny bingo full house. :)

Bentham didnt hear it

Ah fair does, in that case I apologise to the touch judge!

It was a pity Wane slipped that comment in but he was otherwise very gracious in defeat and complimentary about our efforts. I think I have more respect for him after that one, although I do wish the camera wouldn't focus on him if he's going to eff. No doubt he'll have Wigan even more pumped up than usual for our next meeting if that's possible. You can really see what these games mean to him.

People see what they want to see with these things. You could easily argue that Saints players spent pretty much the whole game wrapped around the attacker and might have been penalised into oblivion on another day, so the Bateman interference was if anything well overdue. All swings and roundabouts.

Jeez a Wiganer moaning about slowing the play down

It's never enough to beat the team - we're out supported as ever...

Taken in the spirit I posted... :) 

Good game toneet, Saints were very dominant between 50 and 70 mins perhaps but Wigan could have snuck it in the end.

JB is just teasing I reckon.

Bloody fabulous win by Saints, that.  Wilkin and Hohaia really stepped up in the creating department in the second half, with Wilkin's kicking absolutely spot on.  Robes stepped up in driving forward, Wello stepped up at the back and front and everywhere.  That was the best game I've seen from Mosoe since he landed.  Our two 19 year olds, who didn't get a mention by the Sky team (Richards and Thompson) were excellent.  Even LMS didn't drop the ball, make a silly pass or give away a penalty.  And that last minute tackle by Percival (who only turned 20 this year) was outstanding, as well as his goal kicking.  I had no idea he could kick goals. 

Well, in spite of our yo yo season so far, I now know what Saints are capable of and I feel very encouraged.  I just hope we don't have anymore wounded after that game, and that Walsh isn't out for long as we struggle creatively when he isn't there.

What a second try by Tommy Makinson.  Wonderful.

Listened to it on Radio 5 and it sounded like a great contest. Congrats to Saints, although losing Walsh again must be a bit worrying for you. It really could have gone either way, and that's what a Derby (the one with a capital 'D' ;)) should be.

Bloody fabulous win by Saints, that.  Wilkin and Hohaia really stepped up in the creating department in the second half, with Wilkin's kicking absolutely spot on.  Robes stepped up in driving forward, Wello stepped up at the back and front and everywhere.  That was the best game I've seen from Mosoe since he landed.  Our two 19 year olds, who didn't get a mention by the Sky team (Richards and Thompson) were excellent.  Even LMS didn't drop the ball, make a silly pass or give away a penalty.  And that last minute tackle by Percival (who only turned 20 this year) was outstanding, as well as his goal kicking.  I had no idea he could kick goals. 

Well, in spite of our yo yo season so far, I now know what Saints are capable of and I feel very encouraged.  I just hope we don't have anymore wounded after that game, and that Walsh isn't out for long as we struggle creatively when he isn't there.

What a second try by Tommy Makinson.  Wonderful.

Excellently put, so rather than writing my own summary I'll just say I completely agree with everything you've said.

That was the best I've seen Wilkin play for years and it was great to see that Paul 'The Rock of Gibraltar' Wellens still has the goods. If only Stevo had come up with that one years ago...

I expect that try (both of them in fact) felt extra satisfactory for Makinson after Wane's comments before Good Friday.

I have been impressed with Percival since I first saw him last year. Said it then that has the potential to be a classic centre and possible England material if continues to develop and stay injury free.

I have been impressed with Percival since I first saw him last year. Said it then that has the potential to be a classic centre and possible England material if continues to develop and stay injury free.

Of course some folks of <ahem> a certain age will always think of him as 'Lance'.

Taken in the spirit I posted... :)

Good game toneet, Saints were very dominant between 50 and 70 mins perhaps but Wigan could have snuck it in the end.

JB is just teasing I reckon.

I know. It's a Pavlovian reaction by this stage.

JB is unhinged - letting him post a Wigan defeat is like letting Jimmy S loose in a morgue...

Both coaches seemed calm enough after the game, so this article is a little surprising...

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-warriors/wane-fumes-at-saints-boss-brown-1-6699976

I think it's funny!  I'd imagine if Nathan Brown did actually say all that he is reported to have said then he will be slapped with a fine, but he probably won't care because let's face it, he's right.  Bentham was poor at key moments this evening.  Wello (as captain) very calmly asked for consistency at one point when things were looking decidedly inconsistent but to no avail.  And for Wello to be calm when talking to the ref must mean the matter is serious!

I'm glad Brown has said something to be honest.  Stirs things up nicely, rubs salt in the wound, etc, especially given what Wane has said about us since he stepped up to head coach at Wigan. 

I also agree with your earlier comment re Makinson. Maybe we deliberately went right so often in order that he could get his revenge? ;)

I was just going to comment on that. I think we might hear a bit more about it early next week.

I certainly hope what's reported is accurate, if only because it'll mean that Brown is finally showing some fight in this great rivalry :biggrin:

I certainly hope what's reported is accurate, if only because it'll mean that Brown is finally showing some fight in this great rivalry :biggrin:

I totally agree with that! 

Having watched the entire game, I think he was right too. 

I think it's funny!  I'd imagine if Nathan Brown did actually say all that he is reported to have said then he will be slapped with a fine, but he probably won't care because let's face it, he's right.  Bentham was poor at key moments this evening.  Wello (as captain) very calmly asked for consistency at one point when things were looking decidedly inconsistent but to no avail.  And for Wello to be calm when talking to the ref must mean the matter is serious!

I'm glad Brown has said something to be honest.  Stirs things up nicely, rubs salt in the wound, etc, especially given what Wane has said about us since he stepped up to head coach at Wigan. 

I also agree with your earlier comment re Makinson. Maybe we deliberately went right so often in order that he could get his revenge? ;)

:biggrin:

If Brown is playing mind games and getting under Wane's skin then good on him. If it's a choice between this or the 'it's only two points' approach then I'd take this any day!

He did give Bateman a penalty when he dropped the ball, then missed a pretty blatant forward pass. It's all swings and roundabouts though, and those were probably decisions which the touch judges were more responsible for.

He did seem to let the game flow which is always nice to see.

Fair point, forgot about that one in the pain of defeat, clearly just lost control of the ball. If he really had wanted a Wigan win he could just've given Burgess the try though ;)

Fair point, forgot about that one in the pain of defeat, clearly just lost control of the ball. If he really had wanted a Wigan win he could just've given Burgess the try though ;)

I agree mate, I don't think he showed any bias one way or the other. They were just the type of calls that happen sometimes, and probably seemed more significant this time as things were so tense given the score, the time remaining, and the rivalry.

Quite brave of Brown to take on Wane like that - kudos.

Didnt Brown build up quite a rep at Hudds for moaning about refs?

;) Wane has made it quite obvious how much he hates Saints so perhaps payback time. Nerve-jangling to the end and well done to both sides for serving up a feast of a match. 

Tbh I thought Bentham let saints get away with loads. Obviously I am going to see it from a Wigan point of view but the holding down became ridiculous. It slowed the match right down. Game could have gone either way, only goal kicking being the difference. It's a shame there are not more teams of this calibre in super league so we can have more matches like this.