Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

Magic Weekend in Coventry?

69 posts in this topic

Where ever it goes people moan, Coventry doesn't inspire me not much there, stadium too small.

I'd love a Newcastle magic as the ground is in the city like Cardiff and offers an amazing experience.

Nottingham could be another option, not sure if this has ever been mentioned

No, but their stadia do. Coventry's doesn't.

There is no sign of an 'M' anywhere.

Midlands Magic.

Done.

A Lifeless and dreary stadium. They should demolish the place.

Small capacity of 32k. Not sure we should keep playing in smaller and smaller grounds is the way to go, although at least it is out of the 'heartlands'.

Appreciate the point about smaller stadiums but the intent should be to support Coventry Bears and increase awareness of RL in that area. Out of interest, how many Magic Weekends have sold more than 64k tickets? I think this is a real opportunity for the game to actually coordinate a new development in the game properly and boost the development of the game in a growth area...

Midlands Magic. Easy.

Midlands Magic.

Done.

Keep up, Wellsy.

Appreciate the point about smaller stadiums but the intent should be to support Coventry Bears and increase awareness of RL in that area. Out of interest, how many Magic Weekends have sold more than 64k tickets? I think this is a real opportunity for the game to actually coordinate a new development in the game properly and boost the development of the game in a growth area...

aye, my thoughts are that this event shpuld have smashed the 70k barrier and touching the 80k at least, instead we are getting crowds slightly larger than the first one that was held hundreds of miles away from, the 'heartlands'.

Im comfortable with this as a one off as it could bu used to support the Bears, but in reality it is hardly inspiring and is not about growing the event. I do however think that 65k in Coventry is better than 65k in Manchester.

As you can tell from the article linked in the first post, the excellent Etihad stadium is not an option. Coventry bidding for the event could spark other cities into offering their facilities for the Magic Weekend. Anywhere it does go should put the effort in, because the income from a horde of RL fans is not to be sniffed at.

Saracens played a game there a few years back, over 30k attendance. Would any 'magic' fixture come close in comparison?

Where next beirut?

Beirut bedlam?

A friend of mine is in her sixties; her partner is in his seventies. A few years ago they booked a coach trip and three day stay over New Years Eve at a hotel in Edinburgh. They were in their local pub telling this to another older friend who started off saying how he was going to be lonely on his own over the New Year and he asked them to see if there were any further vacancies at their hotel.

My friend rang the hotel who said they were fully booked but, within the chain, there were vacancies under the same deal at a partner hotel in Coventry. They decided to fall on their sword and switch to the Coventry hotel so their friend could also go.

A few days before christmas, the other bloke was taken ill and into hospital for tests. He cancelled his reservation and so my friend and her partner ended up spending a romantic Hogmanay in the glorious scenery and whirlwind dazzling nightlife of Coventry.

Surprisingly, she won't be the slightest bit interested in attending a Midlands Magic Weekend in Coventry!

:biggrin:

Keep up, Wellsy.

She ignored you. "No sign of an M anywhere."

I was making sure there was a sign ;)

No, but their stadia do.  Coventry's doesn't.

How about the Milady Godiva cheer leading squad.

What are the transport links like? Anybody been?

Awful. About three and a half miles from the nearest station. It's bang on junction 3 of the M6 so is easily accessible by car but the car park charges are normally extortionate.

Villa's a good ground, but are Aston Villa one of the clubs that hasn't got qualms about the state of their pitch after two days of non-stop Rugby?

Well, Villa Park is hosting a handful of games in the union World Cup in 2015 so it depends on the "incentive" that's dangled in their direction I suppose.

No, but their stadia do.  Coventry's doesn't.

Well, there's the M6!

The Ricoh Arena is truly awful, it's like visiting an out of town retail park.

The event would be great at the City Ground Nottingham, Bramall Lane Sheffield or St James' Park Newcastle.

All stadiums are close to their city centres, have 30k+ capacities, and like Coventry all have potential support bases through local established clubs (Outlaws, Eagles & Thunder).

The event would be great at the City Ground Nottingham, Bramall Lane Sheffield or St James' Park Newcastle.

All stadiums are close to their city centres, have 30k+ capacities, and like Coventry all have potential support bases through local established clubs (Outlaws, Eagles & Thunder).

Cant agree with any of that. Capacity apart, and in this brave new world of our shrinking and retrenching game, a full Ricoh is better than a 1/4 full Wemberlee...and the Ricoh is clean, modern, spacious, good parking, good links, good accommodation, etc.

MustardBoy, on 05 Jul 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

Cant agree with any of that. Capacity apart, and in this brave new world of our shrinking and retrenching game, a full Ricoh is better than a 1/4 full Wemberlee...and the Ricoh is clean, modern, spacious, good parking, good links, good accommodation, etc.

Can't agree with any of what? What are you talking about Wembley for? How odd! I never even mentioned the place, and totally goes against my point.

I said Sheffield, Nottingham or Newcastle... They're the perfect destinations in vibrant cities, and as with Coventry, RL interest and teams that could grow.

Hi all, new here. I have been reading this for a few days now with interest at the reaction to Magic weekend potentially coming down to Coventry. I am a Coventry City fan, but adopted fan of Rugby League so it wont suprise you I am about to offer full support for 'Midlands Magic' in Coventry.

We were fortunate to go to Cardiff for the World Cup but as most games, Wigan anyway, seem to be on Fridays getting up to Rugby league country is vitually impossible. Those who have attempted the M6 on a Friday will no doubt agree. Wigan are my adopted team, other half is from Wigan area and Wigan fan (sorry for any offense caused). I did offer support for Warrington/St Helens to create a bit of rivalry but I didn't go down very well :-).

Whilst we enjoyed the World Cup I was a real shame that the stadium was barely half full. When watching on Sky the previous Magic weekends, it can look a bit daft with a stadium half full at best. With my team, Coventry going through the worst run in its entire history I know what its like playing in front of a half empty stadium is like but can also vouch for a full to bursting Ricoh Arena. You wont get a better atmosphere, anywhere, fact.

This is a superb opportunity to showcase Rugby League to a brand new audience and the obvious boost to Coventry Bears it could give. Rugby League is a superb sport which should be much bigger than it currently is.

If Rugby League in this country is to grow into the sport it deserves to be gambles like this are needed and Rugby fans need to give full support. Think about it, its for 1 year not forever.

Is the Ricoh big enough, yes. Man City if you think is in Rugby League heartland and even with the recent attendance figures it could have accommodated most attendances.

I really believe after holding the Olympics and few years ago held 'take that' concerts for 3 or 4 days in excess of the 32,000 capacity for Football/Rugby etc we would cope down here.

Work is also to start on a train station on the railway line that cuts right through the site hopefully in August/September which should be complete by May

MustardBoy, on 05 Jul 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

Can't agree with any of what? What are you talking about Wembley for? How odd! I never even mentioned the place, and totally goes against my point.

I said Sheffield, Nottingham or Newcastle... They're the perfect destinations in vibrant cities, and as with Coventry, RL interest and teams that could grow.

You are new...or returning under a new name? The world does not just revolve around my posts and opinions, nor yours.

Hi all, new here. I have been reading this for a few days now with interest at the reaction to Magic weekend potentially coming down to Coventry. I am a Coventry City fan, but adopted fan of Rugby League so it wont suprise you I am about to offer full support for 'Midlands Magic' in Coventry.

We were fortunate to go to Cardiff for the World Cup but as most games, Wigan anyway, seem to be on Fridays getting up to Rugby league country is vitually impossible. Those who have attempted the M6 on a Friday will no doubt agree. Wigan are my adopted team, other half is from Wigan area and Wigan fan (sorry for any offense caused). I did offer support for Warrington/St Helens to create a bit of rivalry but I didn't go down very well :-).

Whilst we enjoyed the World Cup I was a real shame that the stadium was barely half full. When watching on Sky the previous Magic weekends, it can look a bit daft with a stadium half full at best. With my team, Coventry going through the worst run in its entire history I know what its like playing in front of a half empty stadium is like but can also vouch for a full to bursting Ricoh Arena. You wont get a better atmosphere, anywhere, fact.

This is a superb opportunity to showcase Rugby League to a brand new audience and the obvious boost to Coventry Bears it could give. Rugby League is a superb sport which should be much bigger than it currently is.

If Rugby League in this country is to grow into the sport it deserves to be gambles like this are needed and Rugby fans need to give full support. Think about it, its for 1 year not forever.

Is the Ricoh big enough, yes. Man City if you think is in Rugby League heartland and even with the recent attendance figures it could have accommodated most attendances.

I really believe after holding the Olympics and few years ago held 'take that' concerts for 3 or 4 days in excess of the 32,000 capacity for Football/Rugby etc we would cope down here.

Work is also to start on a train station on the railway line that cuts right through the site hopefully in August/September which should be complete by May

Welcome and nice first post.

One of the key things for the Magic Weekend is having the warm up pitch next to the ground to keep the flow of games going. Any idea if the Ricoh has this? Only ever visited Coventry once before but not the stadium unfortunately.

It doesn't matter where it's held, the key to the Magic Weekend are us!

If RL fans support the "event" and invite a non RL supporting mate then WE will grow the "event".

It doesn't matter where it's held, the key to the Magic Weekend are us!

If RL fans support the "event" and invite a non RL supporting mate then WE will grow the "event".

And RL fans will not support the event if it's not at a good venue, so the first part of your statement is complete nonsense to be fair! It's VERY important.

And RL fans will not support the event if it's not at a good venue, so the first part of your statement is complete nonsense to be fair! It's VERY important.

I meant in the country. I agree it needs to be in a good stadium.

Newcastle is the obvious place for the magic weekend. Lots of hotels, ground in the centre of the city, brilliant weekend out for spectators in a very welcoming city.

Huge car park adjacent to the ground to put on an entertainment village of some sort with live bands etc.

Obviously why the RFL haven't considered it!!!

Newcastle is the obvious place for the magic weekend. Lots of hotels, ground in the centre of the city, brilliant weekend out for spectators in a very welcoming city.

Huge car park adjacent to the ground to put on an entertainment village of some sort with live bands etc.

Obviously why the RFL haven't considered it!!!

most articles ive seen talks about Coventry or Newcastle.