Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

Magic Weekend in Coventry?

squith83    23

a few years ago i went to a monster truck show at pride park, derby. i was very impressed with the ground and facility and all the staff were really friendly. there seamed to be plenty of space around the ground and lots of food outlets and pubs close by. looking at footballgroundguide.com it has good reviews, is in close proximity to rail links and has a capacity of over 33,000. 

when i was there it was a great atmosphere, and would be a superb place to host a magic weekend. 

CoventryRL    12

Welcome and nice first post.

One of the key things for the Magic Weekend is having the warm up pitch next to the ground to keep the flow of games going. Any idea if the Ricoh has this? Only ever visited Coventry once before but not the stadium unfortunately.

Thanks for being made welcome.

There's a few council pitches around the area & a large island next to the Ricoh which has grass in the middle of it but I can't see players being to happy about having to clean up after the local dogs have been around before starting pre-match training.

Seriously though, there is no permanent warm up pitches next to the stadium but having been to St James Park many years ago and looking on google there is nothing there either. I'm sure both sites would be able to accommadate something thats would keep all clubs happy.

If you type in postcode CV6 6GE in google & click 'maps' you will be able to see just how much space there is around the Stadium.

Futtocks    5,868

Newcastle is the obvious place for the magic weekend. Lots of hotels, ground in the centre of the city, brilliant weekend out for spectators in a very welcoming city.

Huge car park adjacent to the ground to put on an entertainment village of some sort with live bands etc.

Obviously why the RFL haven't considered it!!!

Have Newcastle ever shown even the slightest interest in hosting the event?

I agree, the city would be a great place for a big event like this, but unless the Football club want us using their stadium, it's just speculation.

BBR    181

Shame, I guess you can only go where you can get but Magic in Cardiff had run its course and I fear that the attendance next year will be rather embarrassing as people will have got used to making little effort to just roll up in Manchester.

Tre Cool    539

Meh... hardly an 'exotic' location. I still think we should use the Olympic Stadium as there won't be any London representation in SL and it will be a good pr boost to be the first major event at the stadium after the Olympics and before the rah rahs. ;)

I agree with Jeff Mangum here, but it's probably not considered, the RFL are frightened of taking too many major RL events to London.  Challenge Cup + the odd international during a World Cup is all we'll ever get.

Coventry would actually be good, my worry is that it isn't a draw for a weekend away due it's image problem, despite it being a pretty decent city

BBR    181

Shame Bristol hasn't got a suitable stadium as I think the public there would buy into it and Bristol council are excellent for getting behind events. 

Maybe the brave option would be for Barcelona?

Eldujo    55

I meant in the country. I agree it needs to be in a good stadium.

For that reason, I'd rule out Sheffield. Nice city, good ground location but the stadium is a bit of a dump unless there's been major renovations since I last visited about 10 years ago.

Wolford6    971

For that reason, I'd rule out Sheffield. Nice city, good ground location but the stadium is a bit of a dump unless there's been major renovations since I last visited about 10 years ago.

There is no longer any stadium

Futtocks    5,868

I think he was referring to the Don Valley Stadium.

Eldujo    55

I think he was referring to the Don Valley Stadium.

Whooosh, sorry, went straight over my head.

It could always be held at the dog track the Eagles are currently using then. We could do whippet racing at the end of each game to keep the flat cappers entertained.

roughyedspud    1,207

Wembley's desperation to repay the massive overspend that the stadium build incurred would make it very expensive indeed. Add travel and accomodation costs for most of the potential crowd and you are looking at a marginal gamble.

Liverpool or Newcastle would be worth considering, but are the cities/Football clubs interested?

correct me if im wrong but was'nt wembley built for a agreed price and and the builders met the cost of any overspend??

MustardBoy    3

You are new...or returning under a new name? The world does not just revolve around my posts and opinions, nor yours.

You quoted me, then rambled on about Wembley... So ###### off!