Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mark richardson

m62 shut

42 posts in this topic

It took almost two thirds of the season to find the right combination of players to be a genuinely competitive force and in the space of a week all that progress has unraveled. Last seasons progress at least imploded over the course of the off season. Featherstone up soon and last years result was the one that gave the survival push real impetus. Somehow i don't think it will be the same this year. Swinton are a hostage to fortune AGAIN. Just when they were getting a grip of it all. 

Are you asking me who I mean by all parties,?

Salford! Watto!

Probably not much we could do about it so keep calm i wasn't blaming you or anyone else who does fantastic work for our club

Wayne

Parties was plural so was just wondering.. Massive bombshell from Watto, Salfords timing could have been so much better.

Parties was plural so was just wondering.. Massive bombshell from Watto, Salfords timing could have been so much better.

I don't know if we will stay up this season and I don't know what the squad will look like . I don't or even know the venue for home games next season. All I know is that whatever happens I will be there supporting the Lions . Any news on early bird season tickets ?

No news on season tickets yet, but something we'll look into as soon as practical. A couple of variables to take into account first.

That's what I said.

Wayne

There's not much we can judge Duffy off this year im afraid IMO, he has inherited a young side which was built around a veteran half-back/manager who has just left. So now, (do the maths) hes just got a young side... which in our division won't cut the mustard. He needs to get the players, and more specifically, the half-backs he wants in and get a full pre-season with his squad. Its back to square one right now, and the signs are looking ominous. Our goal should be to retain as many of the players as we can, and retain the coaching staff, and we will be there or thereabouts in the league below next year.

Sometimes bad things happen and its nobodys fault, we can't blame Watto, who has been more than loyal, for making a career move. We cant blame Duffy for the reasons mentioned above, and we cant blame the players who are young and have been used to playing along side an on-field general. All we can ask of Duffy is to keep morale and motivation high and work on that defense!

The club had no choice in the timing of Watto's departure.

I thought the letter from Watto indicated he wanted to stay on at Swinton to oversee a handover period but that it was not required. Indicates there was some element of flexibility in timing albeit may have been best for swinton to make a clean break and get someone in immediately.

I thought the letter from Watto indicated he wanted to stay on at Swinton to oversee a handover period but that it was not required. Indicates there was some element of flexibility in timing albeit may have been best for swinton to make a clean break and get someone in immediately.

Can someone confirm that was what or was not the case?

The club had no choice in the timing in as much that Watto's decision to join Salford was unexpected and came out of the blue. We accepted Ian's decision with our full understanding, and he offered to stay on for a month in recognition of the fact that we had been left without a first team coach at short notice. But we then appointed John Duffy fairly quickly, and felt that it was important that he was given our full backing.

Looking back now I think accepting his offer to stay on for one month and maybe keeping our winning streak going against town and Dewsbury could have been a better decision as not many more look winnable

But decisions have to be made and we have to just work with them

I really do wish Ian all the best but my loyalty is purely with Swinton so I only see it from the side that would best suit us.

However let's hope duffy can do it for us

Wayne

Looking back now I think accepting his offer to stay on for one month and maybe keeping our winning streak going against town and Dewsbury could have been a better decision as not many more look winnable

I really do wish Ian all the best but my loyalty is purely with Swinton so I only see it from the side that would best suit us.

Not been funny even if Watson had still been coach you wouldn't have beaten us Friday night

Wayne

I CAN see more victories this season as demonstrated in todays reults. They will however be dependant on the players made available and the abilites of the new coach.

Fingers crossed that they both go our way!

As Graham Fisher points out there would be no certainty that we would have won the Town and Dewsbury matches if Watson had stayed.  We lost plenty while he was in charge and it was not uncommon to hear supporters at matches saying Watto was too slow and couldn't move the ball fast enough and that he should not be playing anymore. That wasn't a view I agreed with as his leadership qualities on the field were so important to the team.

However, he has gone and we have a new coach and a new half back pairing so I think we should give them the opportunity to get on with the job and see what they can do for us.  We need a new on field leader to step up which is no easy ask but it's an opportunity for someone to make a mark. 

Not been funny even if Watson had still been coach you wouldn't have beaten us Friday night

Wayne

Maybe/maybe not but we would of been in a more stable position with wotto in.

Plus don't kid yourself, you wasn't all that. We just didn't turn up for at least 40 minutes of the match but you got the 3 points so that's all that counts

Wayne