Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LOYALION

John Duffy Interview

32 posts in this topic

Marshy1,I understand the BOD`s difficulties with the change in personnel after the Barrow game,but could someone in the posted the fact that Leigh had recalled their loan players - reason unknown!

The team announcements at Sedgley Park cannot be herd on the half way line so we had no idea of who number 22 was when he entered the pitch as a substitute.Again it would be nice to have known before match day that Ryan Maneely was in the squad.

These are minor problems compared with keeping the club iexistencece but every little helps.

Marshy1,I understand the BOD`s difficulties with the change in personnel after the Barrow game,but could someone in the posted the fact that Leigh had recalled their loan players - reason unknown!

The team announcements at Sedgley Park cannot be herd on the half way line so we had no idea of who number 22 was when he entered the pitch as a substitute.Again it would be nice to have known before match day that Ryan Maneely was in the squad.

These are minor problems compared with keeping the club iexistencece but every little helps.

Points taken and thank you .

What I think people often forget is that at the tail end of 2013 we had hardly any players, our Chairman retired, the club owed a large amount of money to creditors and our club was on the verge of extinction!

It was a distinct possibility that Swinton Lions might have played their last match.

A band of dedicated (or you could read mad!!) volunteers (and for that read unpaid and very little time to spare outside their usual work and family commitments) pulled together and put together an emergency plan to keep the Lions going.

In the main it is still those dedicated few that are holding things together. Additional assistance has been brought in when it has ben offered (such as John Roddy joining the Board recently).

It was unfortunate that Salford swooped in for Watto but it happened. Don't forget that when something like that happens to a club like ours it's not very easy for everyone to drop their day jobs and go out looking for a replacement....it's not like the club have any full-time staff sat around that can suddenly spend a large amount of time investigating who's out there, who can be brought in etc etc.

Communication is very important but I'd rather have the Board spending their time sorting out a replacement for Watto and looking to replace those players who have been recalled by Leigh. If they can then sit back (sort out their day-job stuff that's piled up whilst doing Swinton business) and take stock and give us a press release a few days after the event then I think we need to understand why there might be a delay in getting that news out to us fans and why, for example, Salford, with their paid full-time staff can get news out quicker than us.

So, yes there is room for improvement but we have come a million miles on the comms front since this time last year. I think we should just understand and appreciate the resources our club has available, there are probably a lot of the top amateur clubs which have more man-hours available to them than we do.

If any supporters can provide any assistance then it is more than welcome.

If you don't know what you can do to help then ask, volunteer....or bring someone new to each of the remaining matches (we need to boost attendances and bring money in), join the Trust (£2 per month), buy a Trust T-shirt, a programme, Golden Gamble tickets etc. Yes it is all money, but the club can't exist on fresh air and those money-tree seeds I bought haven't sprouted yet!

Apologies for the mini-rant but let's all just appreciate what we've got and stick your hand up (or in your pocket) if you want to help us get back to being the big, successful club we once were.

Anyway....Supporters' Trust Meeting 8:00pm tonight at the White Lion as usual. Get along and join if you haven't done already (bring your bank details or cash/cheque with you) and you can come in!

I agree with most things you say Paul. I have praised the group of people who got together to keep the club alive. I have acknowledged all the effort put in by the coaching staff and players. I bring 2 extra speccies per game and I have joined the Trust and pay a lot more than the minimum payment per month. I have also put my hand up in the past to work for free for the club (and got spit in my eye whilst I did). Fair play to all who are fighting for our survival.

I asked after the Worky game what had happened to the Leigh loan players and it would have taken 1 min to post that they had been recalled. That wasn't done. There you go. I've got over it so let's all move on and get on with the job of cheering the club to wherever we end up!

LL you are a great example of someone who is trying to do what they can for the club. If only everybody could bring 2 extra to every match we'd have attendances of over 1200 which would be over £10k more per match! We know that won't happen overnight and there are a variety of reasons why (which I think we've probably all touched on on this forum before!!), but it's a start.

I'd hope that it was the old regime that turned your help down.....believe me it was very hard work for the Trust then also but now that the Trust are involved again in the running of the club it's much better (though harder work in other respects)....and since we elected two of our committee members onto the Board we have a good say and are much more able to hear what's going on.