Sign in to follow this  
Futtocks

Radio thread

how did Mike Harding lose the folk gig on R2?

Have you just woken up?  ;)

The usual reasons for change in broadcasting- the management wanted a fresh, new approach...blah, blah.......

In fairness Mark Radcliffe's show is pretty good and he is genuinely interested in roots, folk and traditional music etc.

Harding has an internet based show now.

The Saturday afternoon drama on R4 these past few weeks has been the Martin Beck killings.  I keep missing who the main voice is but the assistant in Neil Pearson who's normally decent on the radio, and is again here.

Well worth catching up with on the iPlayer.

The Saturday afternoon drama on R4 these past few weeks has been the Martin Beck killings. I keep missing who the main voice is but the assistant in Neil Pearson who's normally decent on the radio, and is again here.

Well worth catching up with on the iPlayer.

Middle Class-ometer has just gone off the scale.

And to think you once had connections to Bradford.

Middle Class-ometer has just gone off the scale.

And to think you once had connections to Bradford.

I'm not the one listening to Paul Temple.

I'm not the one listening to Paul Temple.

By Timothy, you're right.

To be fair I have good memories of R4 plays. I was once 'working' for a guy who insisted on stopping 'work' and listening to the afternoon play etc and drinking vodka. What a doss

By Timothy, you're right.

To be fair I have good memories of R4 plays. I was once 'working' for a guy who insisted on stopping 'work' and listening to the afternoon play etc and drinking vodka. What a doss

Some of them are so far beyond awful as to be laughable, mind.  Vodka would be the only way of making it to the end.

Ah, found an old disc with my recordings of the Lee Mack Show on it. A Radio 2 comedy show from about ten years ago with two special guests each week, one singer and one comedian, but with both guests taking part in the sketches. Pretty good and, being non-topical, not dated.

Tuesday night appears to be music night on Radio 4 Extra, with programmes about Duane Eddy and Tiny Tim this evening.

Duane Eddy is still alive.

:yes:

So's Tiny Tim obviously, though he mostly posts on the Cross Code Forum.

From the description, the Duane Eddy programme is an interview with the great man, rather than a quick run through the hits by a presenter. It should be rather good.

Ah, found an old disc with my recordings of the Lee Mack Show on it. A Radio 2 comedy show from about ten years ago with two special guests each week, one singer and one comedian, but with both guests taking part in the sketches. Pretty good and, being non-topical, not dated.

The Lee Mack Show is available on rotation on 

http://rokradio.com/british-comedy-channel-program-guide/

Along with lots more splendid stuff (and a fair helping of awfulness).

can't do without my daily fix of RADCLIFFE AND MACONIE on six.

That's worth the licence fee alone.

However, I find Chris Hawkins voice weird.

Who's that bloke from Leigh?

On Radio 4 Extra today at 8:30pm, Phill Jupitus presents 'This are 2 Tone', a 30 minute documentary of the famous record company.

Sherlock Holmes season on 4Extra. Couldn't sleep last night so had Study in Scarlet on Radio Iplayer. Holmes was Robert Powell (IIRC) and pretty good he was too.

Listened to the remake of the 'missing' Hancock episodes. Have to admit they have done a blooming great job. Not entirely sure about the guy who plays Sid James but the others are spot on, particularly Hancock who you could mistake for the real thing. On iPlayer.

Listened to the remake of the 'missing' Hancock episodes. Have to admit they have done a blooming great job. Not entirely sure about the guy who plays Sid James but the others are spot on, particularly Hancock who you could mistake for the real thing. On iPlayer.

I've got them on series record with Radio Downloader, but you have to have an old version of the software to record BBC programmes. I agree that the performances are impressive.

There was also an odd but entertaining drama called Hancock's Ashes, which was an imagined encounter between Willie Rushton, trying to take Hancock's ashes back to England, and an Australian airport official. Worth a listen, even if the actor playing Willie doesn't maintain the voice perfectly throughout.

Thank you Johnoco and Futtocks.  I will give both of them a whirl.

Unfortunately woke up this morning to the terminably unfunny:

• Arthur Haynes Show - early cringe comedy
  • It sticks out half a mile (a dreadfully misconceived Dad's Army spin off)
  • The Burkiss Show - just awful, and ran for a number of series that suggested possession of polaroids of senior commissioning editors at the BBC

I really enjoyed though the 4 extra Alex Ferguson thing about Uncle Freddie.

Got to agree about the Burkiss Way, just not very good.

I will admit to enjoying 'Meet The Huggets', although I aren't entirely sure why.

There.

The Burkiss Way was an attempt to carry on with the style of I'm sorry I'll read that again. Dreadful puns and a general silliness which is harder to carry off than you might think.

ISIRTA is just horribly dated and is an outlet for the dreaded outpourings of Bill Oddie without any reining in.

Early recordings of ISIHAC ditto.

I'm feeling splendidly censorious tonight!

I have tried and I have tried to listen to The Burkiss Way but all it has done is confirm for me that Nigel Rees needs a massive kicking.