Sign in to follow this  
Futtocks

Radio thread

Sunday the 6th, at 7:15pm on Radio 4, the reformed cast of 'Absolutely' return to the airwaves. That's Pete Baikie, Morwenna Banks, Moray Hunter, Gordon Kennedy and John Sparkes. No Jack Docherty, though.

I expect we may well see the return of the Stoneybridge Town Council, Morwenna's horrid little girl, Frank Hovis, Gwyn, Denzil and Calum Gilhooley.

From today's 'Absolutely Radio Show'.
Gwyneth: Denzil, are putting those shelves up yourself?
Denzil: No, that would be disgusting. I are putting them up on the wall.  :biggrin:

For those who like that sort of thing New Order are playing live from Maida Vale in a minute. Also available to watch on the live stream.

For those who like that sort of thing New Order are playing live from Maida Vale in a minute. Also available to watch on the live stream.

Radio 1?

ah found it - Radio 6 - cheers

Sorry, I meant to put Radio 6 music :blush:

Also, it's the culmination of a full week of these live sessions (The Staves and Mercury Rev being two of the others) but the only one I've been able to catch due to work stuff. :angry:

lol, cheers but I get:

but i'll have a search for it - hopefully it will be on there somewhere  :D

YouTube

Edited by terrywebbisgod

The News Quiz, currently giving a shoeing to the RUWC, thanks to Terry Christian (of all people).

Radio 4 Comedy To Hull and Back is really rather good. Written by Hull stand-up Lucy Beaumont, featuring Hull's Maureen Lipman. Apparently, it's a repeated series but I didn't catch it first time around.

Tonight, 6:30pm on Radio 4 - I'm sorry, I haven't a Clue returns.

Okay, that was odd... I've just heard a Radio 5 trailer for 'The News Quiz', with Miles Jupp comparing it to Rugby League.

It went something like "Widnes Vikings versus Castleford Tigers, only with both teams sitting down and making jokes about current events instead of playing Rugby League"

Most unexpected. I thought I was having some sort of auditory hallucination.

It was just after the news and sport at 3pm.

Edited by Futtocks

Okay, that was odd... I've just heard a Radio 5 trailer for 'The News Quiz', with Miles Jupp comparing it to Rugby League.

It went something like "Widnes Vikings versus Castleford Tigers, only with both teams sitting down and making jokes about current events instead of playing Rugby League"

Most unexpected. I thought I was having some sort of auditory hallucination.

It was just after the news and sport at 3pm.

Here it is, at 1:05:45.

Friend of RL, Martin Kelner was sacked from Radio Leeds on Friday. Like him or not,his first hand account of it is well worth a read. Certainly deserves a lot more respect than he got. http://www.martinkelner.com/martin-kelners-blog/My_Sacking_and_a_Plausible_Plan_for_BBC_Local_Radio.shtml

Edited by Amber Avenger

Friend of RL, Martin Kelner was sacked from Radio Leeds on Friday. Like him or not,his first hand account of it is well worth a read. Certainly deserves a lot more respect than he got. http://www.martinkelner.com/martin-kelners-blog/My_Sacking_and_a_Plausible_Plan_for_BBC_Local_Radio.shtml

That link isn't working for me.

I see Danny Baker, who got "refreshed" out of the BBC London schedule has Tweeted in support. Which is a damn sight more sympathy than he got from Kelner at the time.

http://www.martinkelner.com/wtitten-by-martin-kelner/My_Sacking_and_a_Plausible_Plan_for_BBC_Local_Radio.shtml - Think it went down after I posted - up at this slightly different link now

It's a very good and (I think) very accurate piece of writing.  Local radio doesn't really seem to exist beyond the idea of it much any more.

I know it's not good to be so nostalgic but I contrast coming home from the football (and rugby) in days when local radio had correspondents at multiple games and sports and getting a decent round up for an hour or so before "normal" programming returned with today when (down here at least) commentaries of anything but football are online only (accessible via links you have to know about) and at 5.05pm we cut straight to an extended, rambling, pointless, cheap phone in.

It's a very good and (I think) very accurate piece of writing.  Local radio doesn't really seem to exist beyond the idea of it much any more.

I know it's not good to be so nostalgic but I contrast coming home from the football (and rugby) in days when local radio had correspondents at multiple games and sports and getting a decent round up for an hour or so before "normal" programming returned with today when (down here at least) commentaries of anything but football are online only (accessible via links you have to know about) and at 5.05pm we cut straight to an extended, rambling, pointless, cheap phone in.

Funnily enough the one thing that Radio Leeds does have going for it is its sports coverage - to the point where I'm surprised RL is covered as widely as it is, reports from multiple games on a Sunday and a decent round up - not because of any sort of anti-RL BBC agenda, but purely because I know on other BBC local stations, sports coverage is as cut back as drastically as you describe.