Sign in to follow this  
Futtocks

Radio thread

I mostly listen to speech radio, which means mainly BBC Radio 4, 4 Extra, 5, 5 Sports Extra and World Service. If I want music, I plunder my own collection or go online, because I'd rather explore by myself.

Yesterday I got round to listening to the first episode of the new Colin Murray show Blood On The Tracks. It's a music show based on the Fighting Talk format and it was really good. I think the second episode was last night.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Yesterday I got round to listening to the first episode of the new Colin Murray show Blood On The Tracks. It's a music show based on the Fighting Talk format and it was really good. I think the second episode was last night.

This was on Radio 2 but is also a podcast. Pilot series of four episodes - been getting good feedback looking at Twitter etc, but not sure where it would go in the schedules long term considering they are revamping their entire evening output next month. 

Also Colin Murray's "At Home" series on 5 Live - again on podcast - has been well worth a listen over the past few months. 

Edited by Amber Avenger

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, Futtocks said:

I mostly listen to speech radio, which means mainly BBC Radio 4, 4 Extra, 5, 5 Sports Extra and World Service. If I want music, I plunder my own collection or go online, because I'd rather explore by myself.

I have an on site radio de walt, I told one of the lads if I put speech radio on it doesn't use the battery up as quick as the music stations due to all the instruments plugged in, oh don't worry theres some right dim wits on some of the jobs I go to.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

didn't know if I should have posted this in the blood pressure thread but hours and hours and hours and hours of "golf on the radio" on 5 live!!!! what????

A good cure for radio-addiction.

for those who cant face getting up on a morning to another awful day - GOOD NEWS - chris evans has decided to sod off from radio2- if only dermot o dreary would follow suit  the world would be so much better to wake up to

58 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

for those who cant face getting up on a morning to another awful day - GOOD NEWS - chris evans has decided to sod off from radio2- if only dermot o dreary would follow suit  the world would be so much better to wake up to

Who’s your money on to take over?

I am going for another safe pair (or pairs) of hands, either a male/female double act or a female on her own. 

Edited by Mark S

Simon Mayo might need sweetening after having Drive time taken away otherwise I’d put money on one from Laverne/Ball/Cox or maybe two birds one stone Wiley 

I'm thinking that a female presenter will get the gig this time around.

Evans added a million extra listeners to Wogan's peak, so he's not getting the diplomatically--disguised boot (unlike his brief stint on Top Gear).

21 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Simon Mayo might need sweetening after having Drive time taken away otherwise I’d put money on one from Laverne/Ball/Cox or maybe two birds one stone Wiley 

Lauren Laverne has just been promoted to 6 music Breakfast (with a pretty cushty 7.30am start time!) so won't be her. The smart money seems to be on Sara Cox, she's generally pretty well recieved when she covers for Evans. Solves the no females on daytime problem, and allows them to dismantle the pretty disastrous and dreary drivetime experiment, as Jo Whiley could replace Sara Cox on her evening show. 

Edited by Amber Avenger

57 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Who’s your money on to take over?

I am going for another safe pair (or pairs) of hands, either a male/female double act or a female on her own. 

david hamilton

Bernard Cribbins has just been on Radio 5, interviewed by Danny Baker. If you missed it, you missed out. In tremendous form and chock full of anecdotes. Fire up the iPlayer.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Bernard Cribbins has just been on Radio 5, interviewed by Danny Baker. If you missed it, you missed out. In tremendous form and chock full of anecdotes. Fire up the iPlayer.

Thanks for the heads up 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, Futtocks said:

did he have red brown or no sauce?

Rylan Clarke has landed  his own show on radio 2- honestly that station just gets worse and worse, more and more pap pop and presenters that know as much about music as I know about glassblowing - what happened to the days when a dj knew something about musical culture? another gibbering windbag just like dermott o dreary and graham Norton, poor old Brian Mathew must be spinning in his grave

On 10/13/2018 at 10:38 AM, Futtocks said:

My parents went to our local (Heptonstall) bowling club for a night out. Mr Cribbins was there. He was as miserable as owt.

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Rylan Clarke has landed  his own show on radio 2- honestly that station just gets worse and worse, more and more pap pop and presenters that know as much about music as I know about glassblowing - what happened to the days when a dj knew something about musical culture? another gibbering windbag just like dermott o dreary and graham Norton, poor old Brian Mathew must be spinning in his grave

You can't call him O'Dreary more than twice.

You could have had Rylan Clarke's job.

Welcome to 2018 where Gary Lineker and Danny Baker have a podcast recorded in Lineker’s kitchen.

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Are there any actual DJs on Radio 2 except Johnny Walker and maybe Bob Harris? They all seem to be 'slebs

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Are there any actual DJs on Radio 2 except Johnny Walker and maybe Bob Harris? They all seem to be 'slebs

You may not like Zoe Ball, Jo Whiley, Ken Bruce and Sara Cox but they have been DJs for a very long time. Steve Wright is also sobbing now. But he's a dull sod so I don't mind that.

28 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You may not like Zoe Ball, Jo Whiley, Ken Bruce and Sara Cox but they have been DJs for a very long time. Steve Wright is also sobbing now. But he's a dull sod so I don't mind that.

Ken Bruce is quality throwaway "just listen and relax" radio, absolutely Radio 2 in a nutshell.  Same with Jo Whiley, a proper promoter of quality music, sometimes towards music that's not in my taste but she certainly ensures a wide catchment that currently fits right at target Radio 2 audiences.

Replacing Chris Evans with Zoe Ball is actually moving Radio 2 closer to its core.  Same with Sara Cox, she's been a Radio 2 stalwart for years doing stand-in and generally going down well with the Radio 2 audience, she'll do fine in the evening commuting slot.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I'd forgotten about them to be honest but would only class Ken Bruce as a DJ anyway.