Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolford6

The Commonwealth Games

182 posts in this topic

I'll start this topic off with an early contender for Worst team Outfit.

Step forward Scotland!

article_img.jpg

:haha:

They look like a gay and lesbian society's scottish dancing troupe.

Anyway, Becky James and Mark Cavendish out of the cycling; the Aussies are quietly rubbing their hands.

Anyway, Becky James and Mark Cavendish out of the cycling; the Aussies are quietly rubbing their hands.

That post takes on a very different message when you put it in the context of the one just before it.

No, I think the Scottish outfit looks like the sort of thing that was designed by a committee .... one which was concerned not to present any image of aggression or undue nationalism.

Can you imagine a the look you'd get if you asked a Scottish serviceman or football supporter to wear that outfit?

:biggrin:

If I was Alex Salmond, I'd be trying to make out that it was designed by an English fashion house.

There would be a few "interesting" events if the men were to compete in those outfits.  The high jump would need very careful camera angle coverage.  The gymnastic events would all have to be scheduled for after 10pm and there might be extra scoring for presentation.

Dearie me... The shirts are ugly, the tartan's insipid, but the combination of the two is hideous!

I quite like it!

Not much point in just having a smart kilt and shirt that you see everywhere and at any Scottish wedding.

This is meant to be unique, recognisable and stand out.

They are rank,but what's with the hippy lady in the middle ?

The Manic Street Preachers come from Blackwood. It's definitely the sort of outfit that Nicky Wire wouuld wear.

Mind you, this is his usual attire:

NickyWire12PA140910.jpg

There would be a few "interesting" events if the men were to compete in those outfits.  The high jump would need very careful camera angle coverage.  The gymnastic events would all have to be scheduled for after 10pm and there might be extra scoring for presentation.

It is years since I've attended a Highland Games but, as far as I remember, the only athletes who compete in kilts are 'the heavies', ie those who toss the caber, throw the weight over the bar and throw the hammer. The latter is the only one where, owing to the rotation movement, there is a risk of revealing what should remain hidden. The solution? Usually a pair of lycra shorts.

As for the costumes themselves, they are for an opening ceremony that is designed to be a relaxed affair, despite the blazing conditions likely to be found in the east end of Glasgow in summer. The days of blazers and slacks have long gone.

I suspect the whole design and colour scheme is a reflection of Glasgow City Council's desire to portray a softer, more gay-friendly image, rather than the hard-man reputation it has been saddled with in the past.

And, on that note, a gay friend has sent me an alternative proposal for a Scottish uniform, but I'm not sure it would be acceptable under the site's terms and conditions.

Aside from the eye catching team cozzies, anyone going to see any of the actual sporting events?

Aside from the eye catching team cozzies, anyone going to see any of the actual sporting events?

Not in the flesh - still job-hunting. But I will definitely be watching it on TV. The London-based national media will sneer, but that says more about them than about the Games.

From Manchester (2002) onwards, the Commonwealth Games have been excellent and entertaining sporting events. The less said about some of the earlier ones, the better - the 1994 games in Victoria (Canada), for instance, felt like a school sports day, only without the atmosphere.

I'm sure Glasgow will host the Games with pride and verve.

Not in the flesh - still job-hunting. But I will definitely be watching it on TV. The London-based national media will sneer, but that says more about them than about the Games.

From Manchester (2002) onwards, the Commonwealth Games have been excellent and entertaining sporting events. The less said about some of the earlier ones, the better - the 1994 games in Victoria (Canada), for instance, felt like a school sports day, only without the atmosphere.

I'm sure Glasgow will host the Games with pride and verve.

Don't they always about anything that happens beyond their precious capital? If not sneer, treat patronisingly (see some coverage of the TDF in Yorkshire) :dry:

My main memory of the Victoria games was Yvonne Murray's look of incredulous delight when it was announced that her gold medal would be presented by Roger Bannister... who turned out not to be that Roger Bannister, but some Canadian Athletics committee member.

She recovered well.  :biggrin:

I'm taking the family up.

Seeing a session of badminton (for favoured playing sport) and a session of athletics. Looking forward to it. Used to spend a lot of time in Glasgow with work 10+ years ago and always enjoyed my time up there.

I'm taking the family up.

Seeing a session of badminton (for favoured playing sport) and a session of athletics. Looking forward to it. Used to spend a lot of time in Glasgow with work 10+ years ago and always enjoyed my time up there.

Excellent. I didn't get any athletics tickets in the draw, nor quite a few other sports I applied for including the rugby 7s (eek, burn the heretic!! ), which should hopefully mean most of the venues will be full for many events.

However, I did get tickets for weightlifting, artistic gymnastics and ... lawn bowls!

I'm looking forward to the trip up to Glasgow at the end of July. Should be fun! :)

I worked at a building refurbishing project on an industrial estate in Cambuslang, Glasgow and could hardly understand a word any of the local people said. They  coudn't understand my Welsh accent either.

There was a Morrisons supermarket half a mile away; I used to go for my dinner every day after a disastrous attempt to order from a mobile sandwich truck. In the supermarket cafe, I'd just point to a picture on the menu board to say what I wanted.

I only ever got change or cash machine money in Scottish notes.

Despite not one person I met ever breaking into a proper smile, they were actually very nice people.