Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolford6

The Commonwealth Games

182 posts in this topic

Looking forward to the opening ceremony tonight.

Looking forward to this.  We applied but only got tickets for one session so aren't going up.  It's great sport so I'm well prepared to ignore the sneers about which countries aren't there etc ...

Welsh boxer Fred Evans barred for having a recent conviction for a public order offence. This seems a bit unfair as the case has been fully settled and his involvement wasn't deemed to warrant a custodial sentence.

Welsh boxer Fred Evans barred for having a recent conviction for a public order offence. This seems a bit unfair as the case has been fully settled and his involvement wasn't deemed to warrant a custodial sentence.

Agreed.  Having read a bit about it, looks like a Home Office decision in defiance of the wishes of the Welsh and British sporting bodies.  Shame to see the Home Office doesn't support rehabilitation.

One of my school mates is doing the lighting for that, apparently he did London Olympics too and is quite famous in the concert/event lighting world.

That seems particularly harsh.

Opening ceremonies don't usually bother me, but, listening to Radio Scotland today, and the enthusiasm of the people who they have been interviewing, there does seem to be a buzz and a sense of anticipation about the city today.

Of course, nothing, but nothing you will see at Celtic Park tonight will match what happened on that glorious day of May 17. :)

Apparently, Frankie Boyle, on Twitter, has thanked all visiting athletes and spectators for temporarily raising the life expectancy of Glasgow.

Based on the first few minutes, this is a very bad opening ceremony indeed.

"Come enjoy yourself but make sure you're thinking of those kids in the Commonwealth who aren't as lucky."

And now the opening sequence actually looks slick by comparison. We're talking Eurovision standard here.

Ah, its fine you miserable buggers! Although there is an over-reliance on the use of the video screen.

I'm sure her majesty's limo was hopping like a lo-lo.

ha, I said the same

I'm doing very well in the opening ceremony bingo

scots terrier - check;

piper with bearskin - check;

redheads -check;

Billy Connolly - check;

Barrowlands - check;

kilt - check;

Nessie - check;

Ewan McGregor - check;

Duke of Wellington, traffic cone - check;

Just need

haggis;

pint of heavy;

coo;

for a full house.

Are the comentators on a bonus for using the term 'rugby sevens' as much as possible?

Well done Hazel, nice mention for RL tgere as PNG come out!

I'm doing very well in the opening ceremony bingo

scots terrier - check;

piper with bearskin - check;

redheads -check;

Billy Connolly - check;

Barrowlands - check;

kilt - check;

Nessie - check;

Ewan McGregor - check;

Duke of Wellington, traffic cone - check;

Just need

haggis;

pint of heavy;

coo;

for a full house.

John Barrowman mentioned hairy coos a few times in his intro song.

Is it just me that feels a wee bit older hearing that Liz McColgan's daughter is competing in these games?

Ah, its fine you miserable buggers! Although there is an over-reliance on the use of the video screen.

Well, quite, what do people expect on a Commonwealth Games budget? Shipyards rising out of the Parkheid pitch? James Bond? David Beckham? (seriously, if Beckham makes an appearance I shall do something I'll regret).

Well, quite, what do people expect on a Commonwealth Games budget? Shipyards rising out of the Parkheid pitch? James Bond? David Beckham? (seriously, if Beckham makes an appearance I shall do something I'll regret).

It's inevitable that Beckham will appear at some point, it's a sporting occasion with plenty of cameras around.

I noticed a Tongan waving a Celtic shirt about and seemingly getting agitated because he wasn't getting the reaction he expected. How to judge your audience.

It's inevitable that Beckham will appear at some point, it's a sporting occasion with plenty of cameras around.

That's it, then. New telly shopping in the morning.