Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolford6

The Commonwealth Games

182 posts in this topic

See, i said that outfit was smart!

Looks good for the parade.

That's it, then. New telly shopping in the morning.

Samsung Ultra HD TV. Nice bit of kit.

Scotland's outfits look ok en masse.

I could be tempted myself.

I hope salmond  and his crew steer clear of what looks like being  very fraternal games

and now Rod feckin Stuart is going to ruin it all.

Rod Stewart's voice has actually deteriorated in the hour since he was last on stage.

The team parades were great, the rest lacked ambition, imagination and pretty much anything you could desire.

I know its really bad of me, but not into this Unicef stuff. Think its been overegged.

The team parades were great, the rest lacked ambition, imagination and pretty much anything you could desire.

harmless, enjoyable, fun, but probably forgettable overall.

The dogs seem popular though.

I know its really bad of me, but not into this Unicef stuff. Think its been overegged.

It is a good cause, but it has been shoehorned in a bit.

Rod Stewart's voice has actually deteriorated in the hour since he was last on stage.

His autotune has obviously failed.  Susan Boyle was given the wrong song and I think there was a timing issue that threw her completely.  They blew the chance of getting a bouncy bit with 500 Miles and The Proclaimers, instead they slowed it right down and killed it.

And the greatest song ever written

Freedom, Come All Ye

Sae come aa ye at hame wi freedom

Never heed whit the houdies croak for Doom

In yer hous aa the bairns o Aidam

Will fin breid, barley-bree an paintit room

Whan MacLean meets wi's friens in Springburn

Aa thae roses an geeans will turn tae blume

An a black laud frae yont Nyanga

Dings the fell gallows o the burghers doun.

Could have been written with a Commonwealth gathering in mind.

His autotune has obviously failed. Susan Boyle was given the wrong song and I think there was a timing issue that threw her completely. They blew the chance of getting a bouncy bit with 500 Miles and The Proclaimers, instead they slowed it right down and killed it.

The Proclaimers were never going to get within 500 miles of the opening ceremony.

2nd half seems to have gone down much better on twitter.

Been some very nice moments, and the screen has provided some great visuals.

that's great...but what does it mean?  its defeated Google translate. is it about a Letter from America that went astray by 500 miles?

Anyway, I thought the opening ceremony is great, really, apart from the incessant "rugby sevens" nonsense

The "can't unscrew the bloody baton" bit was a highlight.

Apparently John Barrowman kissed another man during the opening...  thinking back, I realised that I saw it and my mind just didn't mark it out of place.  I'm quite happy with myself for that :)

The kiss seems to have made a number of unimportant people quite unhappy though.  Ah well.

I thought the first hour was pretty cringeworthy, but got into it once the teams appeared. There was some momentum then. The moment's silence was touching too

Apparently John Barrowman kissed another man during the opening...  thinking back, I realised that I saw it and my mind just didn't mark it out of place.  I'm quite happy with myself for that :)

The kiss seems to have made a number of unimportant people quite unhappy though.  Ah well.

To be fair, finding John Barrowman annoying is usually nothing to do with sexuality.

I enjoyed what I saw of it.

Now looking forward to having swimming, bowls, netball and hockey on whilst I work ...

... I'm also trying to locate the U20 handball streams. I'm sure the work internet can cope.

so no Frankie Boyle or Jerry Sadowitz then.

I see.

Now that the somewhat regrettable OC is out of the way, time for some good Day 1 sport, including Bradley Wiggins back on the track again.

some of the 'background' and 'colour' stuff is pure vomitsville arizona

Apparently, there are more Commonwealth countries which criminalise homosexuality than those which do not. 

A Tweet I spotted, and wondered why I hadn't thought exactly the same "So Emeli Sande REALLY wasn't there...? Does anyone live down her street? Is it worth knocking and checking she's alright?"

Now that the somewhat regrettable OC is out of the way, time for some good Day 1 sport, including Bradley Wiggins back on the track again.

England are caning Canada at bowls and Ghana at table tennis.  We're about smash Wales at hockey.

I am enjoying all this massively.

And working.  I am obviously also working.

Welsh soccer star Mark Hughes's daughter plays hockey for Wales