Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

graham fisher

Briggs to Sheffield

47 posts in this topic

Indeed. I wonder what would be the reaction of some if the club announced that a key player had been re-signed but, as a consequence it would cost £200 for a season ticekt in future. No doubt they would loyally subscribe.

I'm more surprised that dewsbury can match his contract at fev for 18 month! Could make a rock for your own back with that offer if I was an existing rams players agent I'd be rubbing my hands together as dewsbury must have plenty of dosh ;)

No we are expecting a reasonable income next season from the new TV deal, modest but consistent gates as well as a number of commercial activities.

Fortunately we don't just rely upon 500 hardy souls turning up every fortnight, then we would be in the mire.

Ah the extra 200 make all the difference BSJ. I suppose you'll be swooping for one of the Burgess boys then to blast you to the top of super league

No we are expecting a reasonable income next season from the new TV deal, modest but consistent gates as well as a number of commercial activities. Fortunately we don't just rely upon 500 hardy souls turning up every fortnight, then we would be in the mire.

Swinton are aren't they? Oh l see what you are getting at. ;)

l must say l do enjoy it when you rise to PM's ramblings. I consider you to be most articulate, intelligent and in the main, rational. When you lose it, there is hope for us all!

No we are expecting a reasonable income next season from the new TV deal, modest but consistent gates as well as a number of commercial activities.

Fortunately we don't just rely upon 500 hardy souls turning up every fortnight, then we would be in the mire.

There seems to be a lot of interest in what we are spending,not. You never know BSJ with the money we've saved on the Briggs deal we might go for Miles Greenwood!!!!

Its unfortunate that we were unable to keep kyle long term but that my friends is the nature of the game for clubs such as ours and Batley .When you make what you feel is a fair and affordable offer to a player and then another club comes along and blows you out of the water there is little you can do about it except accept it and move on . We have to also accept that some similar positioned clubs have a greater income generated from their supporters and good luck to them . Our  lottery and squadbuilder in recent years has been on a downward spiral as has our sponsorships . It is quite amazing that our club can be competative in this divisions  company  considering how our income compares to some of the other clubs .Considering the ground improvements made and ongoing, and the calibre of players we have been able to attract a huge amount of respect and gratitude is due to the people running our club and the time ,effort and money that they have committed in the face of many adversities should be applauded.

If it were possible to be made public the lengths that the management have gone to in order to try to keep our best players and indeed add to the squad then perhaps a little more understanding may be forthcoming from certain quarters .  Some of the comments earlier on this thread concerning kyle briggs are to say the least disappointing and wildly off the mark .

I am assured that the club will strive to improve both on and off the field and as much support that fans can supply will be greatly appreciated , whether it be financial support large or small or alternativly for those with limited resources just by supporting . 

Its unfortunate that we were unable to keep kyle long term but that my friends is the nature of the game for clubs such as ours and Batley .When you make what you feel is a fair and affordable offer to a player and then another club comes along and blows you out of the water there is little you can do about it except accept it and move on . We have to also accept that some similar positioned clubs have a greater income generated from their supporters and good luck to them . Our  lottery and squadbuilder in recent years has been on a downward spiral as has our sponsorships . It is quite amazing that our club can be competative in this divisions  company  considering how our income compares to some of the other clubs .Considering the ground improvements made and ongoing, and the calibre of players we have been able to attract a huge amount of respect and gratitude is due to the people running our club and the time ,effort and money that they have committed in the face of many adversities should be applauded.

If it were possible to be made public the lengths that the management have gone to in order to try to keep our best players and indeed add to the squad then perhaps a little more understanding may be forthcoming from certain quarters .  Some of the comments earlier on this thread concerning kyle briggs are to say the least disappointing and wildly off the mark .

I am assured that the club will strive to improve both on and off the field and as much support that fans can supply will be greatly appreciated , whether it be financial support large or small or alternativly for those with limited resources just by supporting .

Couldn't agree more GFDU it's not the 1st time & it won't be the last time that we've lost out on a good player but we move on,I'm sure Mark & Glenn will have other players lined up!!!

All those people that are behind the scenes giving time and money get a big thanks from me. I'm sure we would all be surprised to see how much money the directors put in. I'm sure RL clubs could consume as much money as you are willing to throw at them. Without MS we would have nothing.

Great observations from GFDU.

However, we still seem to have a minority of Fans who expect the club

to sign quality players and pay £10 per match to watch them!

Without the unstinting support of a (very) few individuals (especially MS over

a long period of time),the club would not even be in a position to consider

approaching the quality of player we have this year and signed for next year.

In addition the same individuals are the source of the Ground Developments which

to date have cost what Wayne Rooney earns in 3 -4 days!

Brummie Eagle

Perhaps your Chairman is trying to protect the feelings of the members of

your existing Championship winning squad, who are now Dead Men Walking according

to a quote from Mr A?

I am sure MS did the maths before issuing a public Statement. Perhaps the Eagles

will issue a Club Statement to verify the length of the deal etc to clear up any

confusion.

Indeed. I wonder what would be the reaction of some if the club announced that a key player had been re-signed but, as a consequence it would cost £200 for a season ticekt in future. No doubt they would loyally subscribe.

Well TBH BSJ, yes I'd pay it, but I suspect I'd be in a minority. Think I've already given more than that price hike to AR this season, so it wouldn't be a problem, but I suspect the current financial climate is squeezing more than a few supporters. Agree with GFDU and Wilsden though, as Winston might of said "never in the field of championship rugby was so much owed by so many to so few - for b uggar all return" . I doubt we'll ever again have the best team in the championship, but at least we have one - for which I'm grateful.

They have said how long the deal is, 2 and a half years

Its not the length of the deal thats important its he amount of remuneration over the period of time thats relevant .,

I think we should put this to bed,Briggs has gone good luck to him let's concentrate on the players that's there & push on till end of season!!!

Its not the length of the deal thats important its he amount of remuneration over the period of time thats relevant .,

Dunno about that.  I reckon they're both important.  £500000 a year is better that £500000 over 50 years.

I think we should put this to bed,Briggs has gone good luck to him let's concentrate on the players that's there & push on till end of season!!!

Couldnt agree more.  You'd think we had Briggs on a 3 year contract the way some of the debate has gone..

Have to add my thanks to those who prop up our great club too and we might ponder (as others have suggested) the money spent on the ground this year.  We must easily have one of the nicest little grounds around now and its OURS!!!  Anyone who wasted £16 quid to try and watch the match at the Greyhound track in February would appreciate what we have....

Without criticising anyone at the club I have been a member of Squadbuilder since it started and have been told frankly nothing about how the money has been used. No information, no real recruitment drives to try and get more members. Maybe looking at what other clubs do differently might be worthwhile. Likewise with the Lottery, how much promotion does the club do? Appreciate that clubs time is very limited for promotion but lottery and Squadbuilder does not seem to be pushed very hard.

Without criticising anyone at the club I have been a member of Squadbuilder since it started and have been told frankly nothing about how the money has been used. No information, no real recruitment drives to try and get more members. Maybe looking at what other clubs do differently might be worthwhile. Likewise with the Lottery, how much promotion does the club do? Appreciate that clubs time is very limited for promotion but lottery and Squadbuilder does not seem to be pushed very hard.

Yep, me too MR.

I suppose that the complex structure of the club - mixing a privately shareheld company with a charitable organisation - makes the separation of the finances difficult, but some information would still be welcome.

Likewise with the Lottery, how much promotion does the club do?

Best thing we did was merge our lottery with Sheffield United's.  Bigger headline prizes attracts more people, no prize money costs, and by the time we'd done all the admin, the lottery was breaking even at best.

There was a proposal a few years ago to have a joint lottery scheme for all Championship clubs but mutual distrust put paid to that.  It's a good example of the areas where clubs could be working together for mutual benefit ..... but they don't.