Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

BORIS JOHNSON

82 posts in this topic

I'd be surprised if the idea wasn't resurrected at some point.

This country does need an international hub airport adjacent to London.

Trying to expand Heathrow is like trying to fit a quart into a pint pot.

I'd be surprised if the idea wasn't resurrected at some point.

This country does need an international hub airport adjacent to London.

Trying to expand Heathrow is like trying to fit a quart into a pint pot.

I would imagine that it would cost an astronomical amount to build an island airport in the Thames.

The construction design would require a huge amount of engineered infill pus auxilliary road and rail bridges, sewage systems, electrical supply, telecommunications etc. It would also compromise flood control measures.

Presumably,  it would be cheaper to build a third airport, with fast-rail links, in Northwest Kent.

I would imagine that it would cost an astronomical amount to build an island airport in the Thames.

The construction design would require a huge amount of engineered infill pus auxilliary road and rail bridges, sewage systems, electrical supply, telecommunications etc. It would also compromise flood control measures.

Presumably,  it would be cheaper to build a third airport, with fast-rail links, in Northwest Kent.

About £100bn to build it apparently.  Boris has apparently already spent well north of £5m of taxpayer's money on pursuing this idea.

You'll note that it's quite a feat for a politician to be so passionate about building all over an area of the country over which he has absolutely no control whatsoever ...  good politicking though and it keeps him in the public eye as some wronged visionary.

About £100bn to build it apparently.  Boris has apparently already spent well north of £5m of taxpayer's money on pursuing this idea.

You'll note that it's quite a feat for a politician to be so passionate about building all over an area of the country over which he has absolutely no control whatsoever ...  good politicking though and it keeps him in the public eye as some wronged visionary.

You'd probably make that sum back from developing the 2,000 acres vacated at Heathrow. And then there's the land not actually part of Heathrow but is unusable because it sits between it and the entrance to London.

That said, it would require a level of vision, planning, commitment and resources not seen since the second world war. 

Mark my words: post #75. This is FAR from over, though maybe, by the time they sort it all out, well have moved on to teleportation.

Perhaps he'll do more when he becomes an MP for an area of North London.  Know anyone that lives there Frank?

well my daughter used to live in North West London when she was working on upgrading the tube for the Olympics. She lives in Peckfield now.

My son's girlfriend  lives in Romford.

unless it's someone who's constantly on tour with his band, you've lost me as her on Taggart was always saying,