Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jannerboyuk

Four nations and premier sports

31 posts in this topic

Strange, I thought the BBC had those. Or is it shared?

I guess BBC may only have the England matches though

From http://www.rugbyleagueontv.co.uk/

BBC

Four Nations Tournaments - England Matches LIVE (2014-2016)

Premier Sports

Four Nations Tournaments - All Matches LIVE (2014-2016)

On past form, the BBC may well show highlights of the non-England matches.

From http://www.rugbyleagueontv.co.uk/

BBC

Four Nations Tournaments - England Matches LIVE (2014-2016)

Premier Sports

Four Nations Tournaments - All Matches LIVE (2014-2016)

On past form, the BBC may well show highlights of the non-England matches.

So if England reach the final :) then only matches on PS not on BBC will be Aus v NZ, Aus v Sam and NZ v Sam. Result.

So the BBC are not going to bother covering the Final if England are not in it? jeez

Mistake imo. It should be shared between Sky Sports and BBC. 

Ah well, I suppose we should look forward to the blanket coverage on BBC News, plenty of adverts between their shows, features on Breakfast shows etc.

It is all well and good stating that but didn't SKY want exclusivity on the World Cup et al or nothing et al?

It is fundamentally important that the BBC show ALL England RL internationals now and in the future if we are to grow the sport in this country in terms of popularity and commercially. It is why I am very worried that the RFL have signed the game's life away with the new SKY TV contract which states internationals are part of the package. I haven't seen any detail on what it entails, but if it includes end of season England internationals, Wood, Rimmer et al need to be shot...

It is all well and good stating that but didn't SKY want exclusivity on the World Cup et al or nothing et al?

It is fundamentally important that the BBC show ALL England RL internationals now and in the future if we are to grow the sport in this country in terms of popularity and commercially. It is why I am very worried that the RFL have signed the game's life away with the new SKY TV contract which states internationals are part of the package. I haven't seen any detail on what it entails, but if it includes end of season England internationals, Wood, Rimmer et al need to be shot...

I don't massively disagree, but I don't think we should be giving all England games to the BBC unless they are actually committed to tournaments.

All this deal is doing is building up the England team, but bth the figures will be low as they will be tucked away on a Saturday morning.

Sky have happily shared international rights before, the issue since the World Cup was that they wanted every England game on the BBC meaning Sky get none of the pie there. 

Sky have been a very good partner for RL and International RL, are far bigger than Premier can ever be, and tbh I'd rather have seen us playing more and more games so that both the BBC and Sky can have a share of the pie.

RU and Football are happy to have their national teams on both channels.

Just noticed Aus v England is a 5am kick-off our time!

Think I'll get a 2 month subscription to Premier Sports starting after we come back off holiday in September. the 2 month sub will cover NRL Play-off and Grand Final and the Four Nations. Then I can watch the World Cup games I taped which won't show now that I don't have a sub

Will Vossy be commentating for Premier Sports or will we be getting the biased view of Warren, Gould etc?

BBC have the England internationals up to and including the 2017 World Cup. 

Ah well, I suppose we should look forward to the blanket coverage on BBC News, plenty of adverts between their shows, features on Breakfast shows etc.

Have I woken up in 2013...?

BBC have the England internationals up to and including the 2017 World Cup.

I know - it is post-2017 I am worried about... Do you have any inside information of what the new SKY TV detail entails? 

I don't massively disagree, but I don't think we should be giving all England games to the BBC unless they are actually committed to tournaments.

Whilst I appreciate timings will be very early when games are down under, exposing people to the game is fundamentally vital and the best tool for that is the BBC. Yes it needs worthwhile exposure and I don't mind it being shared with SKY (see 2011 Wembley Four Nations) but England are the game's best tool to broaden the appeal of the game in the wider public conscience and boost its commercial value. I think the viewing figures in the World Cup proved it.

Will Vossy be commentating for Premier Sports or will we be getting the biased view of Warren, Gould etc?

I reckon BBC coverage for the England games and Nine coverage for the other games. They won't send their own team over when they can just steal the feed IMO.

I know - it is post-2017 I am worried about... Do you have any inside information of what the new SKY TV detail entails? 

Whilst I appreciate timings will be very early when games are down under, exposing people to the game is fundamentally vital and the best tool for that is the BBC. Yes it needs worthwhile exposure and I don't mind it being shared with SKY (see 2011 Wembley Four Nations) but England are the game's best tool to broaden the appeal of the game in the wider public conscience and boost its commercial value. I think the viewing figures in the World Cup proved it.

They did, but just looking at some analysis I did, which admittedly is based on some big assumptions suggests that we could have given Sky exclusive rights to a couple of England games in the WC and the additional audience numbers that we pick up from the other games that they show over Premier would cover much of the loss from the couple of England games.

This is based on the average Premier Sports game getting 10k and an assumption that an average Sky WC game would have got 150k (excluding England games). 

I think the amount of coverage hours would have been massive compared to what we did get - as we would have had far more coverage on Sky Sports News, Sky News etc. especially around some of the Pacific Island stories and their extraordinary games.

Obviously we don't know what happened with negotiations but if we did position it as all England's games must be on terrestrial TV then I think we shot ourselves in the foot, as I think a partnership with Sky where they also get some England games (which they have done time after time) we would get additional income and coverage.

S4C will be covering all the Welsh games.

;):tongue:

Appreciate the joke but it does annoy me that S4C used to show a lot more rugby league than it does now.

I reckon BBC coverage for the England games and Nine coverage for the other games. They won't send their own team over when they can just steal the feed IMO.

Do Channel 9 have sole broadcast rights for Australia and New Zealand? If Sky NZ are involved we may get Vossy and Hallingan once more.

<Snip>

I think I understand what you are saying but I have to disagree as I think the major benefit of having BBC coverage is widening the number of people exposed to the game. SKY certainly would have got much better viewing figures than Premier and If exclusivity from SKY wasn't an issue, I'd question that logic for the reasons you state. However, SKY would limit the access to the wider population that the BBC on a Saturday afternoon gives. We moan and whine we don't get enough exposure and SKY is a factor in that as it isn't open to the masses, which I personally think is a far greater need for the sport.

I think I understand what you are saying but I have to disagree as I think the major benefit of having BBC coverage is widening the number of people exposed to the game. SKY certainly would have got much better viewing figures than Premier and If exclusivity from SKY wasn't an issue, I'd question that logic for the reasons you state. However, SKY would limit the access to the wider population that the BBC on a Saturday afternoon gives. We moan and whine we don't get enough exposure and SKY is a factor in that as it isn't open to the masses, which I personally think is a far greater need for the sport.

I agree with that, but this is why I think there was a middle ground, BBC and Sky have shared coverage for quite a few tournaments, right back to 2000 WC.

Shared opener and Semi, one England group exclusive each, bid for the qf - SKy with the NZ and Aus games that Premier had - that is pretty attractive and gets plenty of terrestrial coverage too.

There is no reason to think that Sky wouldn't share coverage as long as they got some England action, as they have history of doing that.

EDIT: the reason I have no confidence that these were the best deals is that 2017 is already sold in this country. I suspect the value of the 2017 tournament would be far more attractive if it was sold now compared to this time last year.

I agree with that, but this is why I think there was a middle ground, BBC and Sky have shared coverage for quite a few tournaments, right back to 2000 WC.

Shared opener and Semi, one England group exclusive each, bid for the qf - SKy with the NZ and Aus games that Premier had - that is pretty attractive and gets plenty of terrestrial coverage too.

There is no reason to think that Sky wouldn't share coverage as long as they got some England action, as they have history of doing that.

EDIT: the reason I have no confidence that these were the best deals is that 2017 is already sold in this country. I suspect the value of the 2017 tournament would be far more attractive if it was sold now compared to this time last year.

Dave, I do think we are in agreement on the topic in general; I just don't think England should be on SKY who'll have a much smaller viewing market; the brand is the biggest tool we have to generate interest and you target that at the biggest market, which is through the BBC.

I wholeheartedly agree about the deals and I frankly have no confidence in the RFL. We have such a wonderful sport, which is exciting and enthral king, but have no idea of how to develop or organise it.

Dave, I do think we are in agreement on the topic in general; I just don't think England should be on SKY who'll have a much smaller viewing market; the brand is the biggest tool we have to generate interest and you target that at the biggest market, which is through the BBC.

I wholeheartedly agree about the deals and I frankly have no confidence in the RFL. We have such a wonderful sport, which is exciting and enthral king, but have no idea of how to develop or organise it.

The problem is that if you want Sky to support the international game, you have to give them something. We could still have had England on the BBC 4 times plus potentially the final. You have to give them something though. 

As much as I enjoyed the Premier Sports coverag, it is a really small time deal, and it depresses me that we have it again this winter, with no HD coverage of some games in the 4N. The RL season will end at the Grand Final according to Sky.

The problem is that if you want Sky to support the international game, you have to give them something. We could still have had England on the BBC 4 times plus potentially the final. You have to give them something though. 

As much as I enjoyed the Premier Sports coverag, it is a really small time deal, and it depresses me that we have it again this winter, with no HD coverage of some games in the 4N. The RL season will end at the Grand Final according to Sky.

What makes you think that everyone wants to/can afford to subscribe to Sky?

Their interest in the internationa game has been lukewarm to say the least so why give it to them on a plate?

Finally, in who's gift is the awarding of this contract?