Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

The Joy Of The Guitar Riff tonight BBC 4 9pm

Later the same night, 'Sound City' is very much worth watching. If it's too late a start, record it.

looking forward to that.

It's all been rather predictable so far, for the most part.

It's all been rather predictable so far, for the most part.

well yes, and there were some massive omissions. I still enjoyed it. Chuck Berry but not Bo Diddley, no Wild Thing, blah blah

The programme that followed it about Sound City recording studios was ghastly, so many up their own ass multi millionaire mediocrities talking about their 'art'. Every time I see a member of so called fleetwood mac I expect them to come out with some drivel about the emotional tensions involved in the recording of Rumours. A pox on all of em

The Friday night music programmes on BBC4 have the potential to be great tv, but most ends up a little disappointing.

The BBC must have 100's of hours of archive that they can show, but most ends up being a collation of dodgy miming performances from Top of the Pops, with the odd gem from Whistle Test or another source thrown in. And their TOTP archive must be shrinking with all the dodgy goings-on by their presenters, that they now can't show.

Still better than Eastenders or Corrie or Location, Location et al though.

It was nice to see Dave Davies get a word in

Well played that man

The forgotten man.

Next Friday on BBC4 - Prom concert, Northern Soul, Motown at the BBC and a documentary about Prince.

well yes, and there were some massive omissions. I still enjoyed it. Chuck Berry but not Bo Diddley, no Wild Thing, blah blah

The programme that followed it about Sound City recording studios was ghastly, so many up their own ass multi millionaire mediocrities talking about their 'art'. Every time I see a member of so called fleetwood mac I expect them to come out with some drivel about the emotional tensions involved in the recording of Rumours. A pox on all of em

I trust you exempt Peter Green (the founder of FM) from that.

I trust you exempt Peter Green (the founder of FM) from that.

That's why I said so called fleetwood mac

I didn't know it was on so missed it. My favourite guitar riffs are the Eric Clapton riff from Layla and (presumably) Ronnie Wood's on "Cindy Incidentally"

I didn't know it was on so missed it. My favourite guitar riffs are the Eric Clapton riff from Layla and (presumably) Ronnie Wood's on "Cindy Incidentally"

Repeted at 11:30pm tonight.

My bull ###### detector was twitching throughout the programme but it nearly exploded when somebody started talking about Sonic Youth's 'avant-garde tuning'.

Pretty sure Clapton didn't actually play Layla.....I think it was one of the Alman Brothers. .Duane I think. I could possibly be wrong there tho...(yes I know its unlikely ;) )

Pretty sure Clapton didn't actually play Layla.....I think it was one of the Alman Brothers. .Duane I think. I could possibly be wrong there tho...(yes I know its unlikely ;) )

Allman played the solo on 'Layla', I'd assume Clapton played the riff, as the two run concurrently at times during the song.

Later the same night, 'Sound City' is very much worth watching. If it's too late a start, record it.

Just watched that. I really enjoyed it.

Just watched that. I really enjoyed it.

A rule of thumb - if it's got Tom Petty in it, it's probably good.

The exception that proves the rule is the movie 'The Postman'.

Tom petty is one if my main men

But I thought the programme was ghastly

It also had the added bonus of a few brief contributions from my boyhood rock hero, John Fogerty.

It also had the added bonus of a few brief contributions from my boyhood rock hero, John Fogerty.

his stuff still sounds fresh. I listen to it a lot.

Fortunate Son is one of the best protest songs of the era. There is a very good new(ish) version in which he duets with Dave Grohl.

What a complete waste of time this programme was, confusing riffs with motifs and melodic lines - The Shadows!?!. So much missing from the programme and so much that shouldn't have been there at all. And the suggestion that Chuck Berry invented the guitar riff is ludicrous - have the producers not heard of Blues and Jazz?

I'm pretty sure that John Fogerty once said that he had dozens of good songs but wouldn't put them out. He didn't need the money and would be obliged to issue them  under longstanding contracts that he wasn't happy with.

his stuff still sounds fresh. I listen to it a lot.

Fortunate Son is one of the best protest songs of the era. There is a very good new(ish) version in which he duets with Dave Grohl.

That's something I'm definitely going to have to check out.