Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

The Joy Of The Guitar Riff tonight BBC 4 9pm

69 posts in this topic

What a complete waste of time this programme was, confusing riffs with motifs and melodic lines - The Shadows!?!. So much missing from the programme and so much that shouldn't have been there at all. And the suggestion that Chuck Berry invented the guitar riff is ludicrous - have the producers not heard of Blues and Jazz?

Spot on. The idea was good, but the execution was a mess.

That's something I'm definitely going to have to check out.

I've got it on an album, called 'wrote this song for you' I think. It's a very interestiing album

What a complete waste of time this programme was, confusing riffs with motifs and melodic lines - The Shadows!?!. So much missing from the programme and so much that shouldn't have been there at all. And the suggestion that Chuck Berry invented the guitar riff is ludicrous - have the producers not heard of Blues and Jazz?

the nearest thing to a riff on Apache is Bruce Welch's rhythm licks, as good a piece of rhythm guitar playing as you will ever hear.

I agree with you about the show. They should have chosen Bo Diddley rather than Chuck Berry, and I don't know where on earth they got some of the stuff from. I had a good time watching it though-mostly: cab sacv, good company and all that.

L'Ange, do you have a group line-up for that Fogerty song? 

the nearest thing to a riff on Apache is Bruce Welch's rhythm licks, as good a piece of rhythm guitar playing as you will ever hear.

I agree with you about the show. They should have chosen Bo Diddley rather than Chuck Berry, and I don't know where on earth they got some of the stuff from. I had a good time watching it though-mostly: cab sacv, good company and all that.

Nice to see Link Wray getting a mention, but overall it was an unfocussed attempt at what, with the BBC's archives, could have been a great programme..

L'Ange, do you have a group line-up for that Fogerty song? 

I downloaded the album, so I haven't got the literature. I think it just says with dave Grohl' I've read stuff about it. It's a google away and grabbed a bit more info, but I forget now.

I downloaded the album, so I haven't got the literature. I think it just says with dave Grohl' I've read stuff about it. It's a google away and grabbed a bit more info, but I forget now.

A cursory search suggests that it wasn't just Grohl, but all the Foo Fighters on that track.

A cursory search suggests that it wasn't just Grohl, but all the Foo Fighters on that track.

I think you are correct

Proper hipster thread this. Don't know what people were expecting but the programme was alright. You are never going to please everyone and for every artist they feature there are many more where you could say 'why is such and such there over thingabebob'. I guess its down to who they can get interviews with and what footage they have access to.

It did make me reach for my neglected Epiphone and check out a few tabs. Job done.

Interesting fact regarding Smells Like Teen Spirit. The famous riff that the program attributed to Kurt Cobain was actually written by Grohl according to Kurt Cobain's official biography. 

Interesting fact regarding Smells Like Teen Spirit. The famous riff that the program attributed to Kurt Cobain was actually written by Grohl according to Kurt Cobain's official biography. 

...and some people also theorise that that riff was inspired by 'More than a Feeling' by Boston.

...and some people also theorise that that riff was inspired by 'More than a Feeling' by Boston.

that is the ultimate air instrument song

you can do them all

Classic Pedal Steel Riff ... the last minute and a half  from Al Perkins:

I thought Pete Kleinow played pedal steel on that album.

This version of the track is actually taken not from The Gilded Palace of Sin but from The Last of the Red Hot Burritos ... an album that has never been reproduced as a cd.   

[boo!! Sulk]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_of_the_Red_Hot_Burritos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Perkins

Listed on Amazon as a CD, either on its own or as part of a double-pack.

I'll check it out. I've had my vinyl copy for 40 years and hardly ever play it any more.

the band have all said in numerous interviews that it was Kurt trying to rip off the pixies....not sure if the sound city doc is a repeat of one i saw earlier this year with Dave grohl rescuing the neve desk....if it is then it was really good imo

the band have all said in numerous interviews that it was Kurt trying to rip off the pixies....not sure if the sound city doc is a repeat of one i saw earlier this year with Dave grohl rescuing the neve desk....if it is then it was really good imo

'More than a Feeling' and Boston in general may not to be everyone's musical tastes, but it's a cracking riff. As far as copying the Pixies, I think that's more the quiet/loud/quiet pattern (think 'Monkey gone to Heaven', for instance) that the Pixies were known for, rather than the main riff itself.

Trivia: apparently Kurt's favourite cover version of 'Teen Spirit' was the Weird Al Yankovic version.

And yes, 'Sound City' has been on BBC4 before and does feature Grohl resuing the Neve console.

I've got it on an album, called 'wrote this song for you' I think. It's a very interestiing album

Thanks for that, I really like it.

Wouldn't the album be called 'Wrote A Song For Everyone' as in the song on Creedence's Green River album?

Thanks for that, I really like it.

Wouldn't the album be called 'Wrote A Song For Everyone' as in the song on Creedence's Green River album?

That's the feller

Some interesting interpretations on it

bloody hell I'd have some of that

Been an annual event for about 12 years now, all the pubs in the town have acts on during the day on "the trail" then at night its down to the main stage for the headline acts. Good fun, plenty of beer and great music, what more could you want ? Over the last few years they've had headline acts such as Chuck Berry, Robert Cray, Buddy Guy, John Mayall, Jools Holland, Gary Moore etc. The only downside is that it is in Maryport :tongue:

Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave) = riffsmith: