Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

The Joy Of The Guitar Riff tonight BBC 4 9pm

69 posts in this topic

and of course, the riff-master:

have to agree with some of the comments though......no Black dog (wtf?) and it's well known that he was partial to ripping off blues legends of the past....though the evolution of music through the years inevitably involves a fair amount of plagiarism

Since nobody else has done it I thought I'd bump the thread in the light of Radio 2's recent poll.

Here's the top 100 according to their listeners, with about a thirty second snippet of each. The rule was only one riff allowed per artist.

Enjoy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/chart/guitar-riffs

Interesting that Marquee Moon is there. I loved that whole album

I am pleased to see Shakin' All Over and the Rumble in there.

Great night at the Black Swan in Bradford.

Scottish trio the Lewis Hamilton Band ... absolutely top notch blues plus a bit of Hendrix and finishing off with a bit of  Deep Purple.

Topped off with a pretty poor pint in the Dime Bar and a bottle of Budvar in the Beehive. Walked home, exchanged good evenings with a few other night owls on the way. Got in, had a coffee, watched Sexy Beasts on BBC Whatever and thought it was pretty good.

Bradford, you've got to love it.

Quite a walk from the Beehive to Clayton, (especially half cut?)

On that chart Whole Lotta Love is #1. I don't strongly disagree but for me what makes that record is the bass. That reminds me, there's a Small Faces record called 'You Need Loving' (or similar) and its basically WLL without the riff.....very strange!

Since nobody else has done it I thought I'd bump the thread in the light of Radio 2's recent poll.

Here's the top 100 according to their listeners, with about a thirty second snippet of each. The rule was only one riff allowed per artist.

Enjoy.

thanks for that

Quite a walk from the Beehive to Clayton, (especially half cut?)

On that chart Whole Lotta Love is #1. I don't strongly disagree but for me what makes that record is the bass. That reminds me, there's a Small Faces record called 'You Need Loving' (or similar) and its basically WLL without the riff.....very strange!

you need love by the small faces is a song written by Willie Dixon and originally recorded by Muddy waters. Ive got a copy somewhere.

Whole Lotta Love is a rip off of that

To be fair though, I don't think there is a musician -alive or dead- who hasn't ripped off other people.

I can't quit you baby......etc

And regardless of that Led Zep 1 is one of rock and rolls greatest lps.

To be fair though, I don't think there is a musician -alive or dead- who hasn't ripped off other people.

I can't quit you baby......etc

And regardless of that Led Zep 1 is one of rock and rolls greatest lps.

the whole blues/rock genre has and does turn in on itself time and time again. Classic example-the bo diddley beat. 

It's a simple format, same with folk music.

Enjoy.

Cheers

That will keep me occupied for a while.

That top ten is probably the same as the 'banned riffs' list you find in guitar shops...

I can play Smoke on the Water on the bass. (Not the whole thing, literally the riff :D

Thinking of putting that on my cv.

Posted · Hidden by ckn, August 31, 2014 - No reason given

Thinking of putting that on my cv.

It's a start I suppose!

you need love by the small faces is a song written by Willie Dixon and originally recorded by Muddy waters. Ive got a copy somewhere.

Whole Lotta Love is a rip off of that

One of my all time favourite riffs is the Yarbirds' version of Train Kept A Rollin'. I don't know who did the original but I reckon you might.

There is a sort of link between that riff and the top 100 list because Jimmy Page had joined the Yardbirds by the time they reworked the tune for the film Blow Up. Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck, that must have been some twin guitar attack.

Motorhead do a great version of Train kept-a-rollin.

You can't knock Lemmy's rock 'n' roll instincts.

From the first album on Chiswick if I remember correctly.

Yep,last track on side 2.