Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Greg Johnson for England!

43 posts in this topic

and Makinson has 20 from 22 appearances despite the pretty poor service he's had from Turner most of this season

Indeed. I was just trying to make the point that I don't think Hall is at his best this season from what I've seen of him and isn't, as he has been in past seasons, head and shoulders above other contenders for an England place. From what I've seen he looks a bit overly bulky and not quite as quick as he's been in previous seasons. 

Hall is Hall and will get picked.

Charnley is faster than Johnson.

Makinson isn't fast enough or good enough.

Burgess is injured we find out today whether it's a six or ten week lay off.

Charnley is faster than Johnson and the point is? Does this mean we should call up Dwayne Chambers to the England squad?

Charnley is faster than Johnson and the point is? Does this mean we should call up Dwayne Chambers to the England squad?

No, but when you take into account he is scoring more than one try per game so far this season and scored 46 tries from 37 appearances last season it is certainly relevant.

I think we should play as many kids as are good enough in the 4 nations. Get them ready for the next World Cup, when Hall, Cudjoe etc will be too old and too slow!

Nobody should question Halls inclusion in the England squad. He has consistently scored tries against Southern Hemisphere opposition.

The other wing spot for me is Joe Burgess. Excellent under the high ball and exceptionally quick. Always looks for work and is solid in defence. Only his first season in SL also.

No, but when you take into account he is scoring more than one try per game so far this season and scored 46 tries from 37 appearances last season it is certainly relevant.

But his defence has been awful leading to him being dropped at club level and even since his recall his decision making, tackling and positional sense are suspect.

Nobody should question Halls inclusion in the England squad. He has consistently scored tries against Southern Hemisphere opposition.

The other wing spot for me is Joe Burgess. Excellent under the high ball and exceptionally quick. Always looks for work and is solid in defence. Only his first season in SL also.

For me the sky's the limit for joe burgess, every now and then players burst onto the scene and you just know they are top drawer international quality.

adam swift and jack owens are alos ones to put in the frame 

adam swift and jack owens are alos ones to put in the frame

I like both players but at this stage I'd earmark them as competent SL players for years to come who will always lack that special something needed for international rugby.

Charnley is overrated. He scores bagful of tries, but his defence is poor. I wonder if he'd even make the squad if he played for say Widnes. Joe Burgess is fearless and I think if you put him up against the Aussies, he wouldn't look out of place. Most of the Australia team is over 6ft, so if we could have two tall wingers that would help us. 

Charnley is overrated. He scores bagful of tries, but his defence is poor. I wonder if he'd even make the squad if he played for say Widnes. Joe Burgess is fearless and I think if you put him up against the Aussies, he wouldn't look out of place. Most of the Australia team is over 6ft, so if we could have two tall wingers that would help us.

I think charnley is a good domestic player but just not international quality while burgess looks like he would be both

I like the look of Manfredi as well, I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops

I like both players but at this stage I'd earmark them as competent SL players for years to come who will always lack that special something needed for international rugby.

sorry but i think both have the necessary skill and potential to go forward 

sorry but i think both have the necessary skill and potential to go forward

Disagree

Disagree

both swift and owens are far better players than johnson and have proved their credentials over the last three seasons just just a dozen or so games 

Disagree

Swift is by far the more promising of the two, but he's very lightweight. Now Manfredi looks to be the full package. It'll be interesting to see how he develops.

Zak Hardaker seems the obvious answer for me. Gives us cover all along the back line and halves.

He is great defensively and attacking and would be the clear choice imo for fullback if not for Tomkins.

He also gives us great flexibility and a good option for running set plays and keeping them guessing