Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superten

could fans run a club

80 posts in this topic

Could fans run a club? help spread the game . I was interested in response Bradford got when in crisis . Lets say if something was set up to help run and fund a club like south wales scorpions for example ( Ive selected this team as there bottom of the league and based in an area where RL are desperate to get established) OK  so here goes as a member you pay a monthly fee say £20 for 12 months which equals £240 a year .Imagine if you could get 10,000 members world wide . In return as a member you would get a members pass to all home games ie season ticket . An exclusive members badge . Every home match day programme sent to you . A new shirt every season of your choice either home or away . A members monthly prize draw with cash prizes .Any other ideas ?

Could this be done ?   

It has been done.

Hunslet Hawks are now a supporter owned club who pay yearly memberships and the club is slowly getting out of debt and improving the club (media wise and sponsorship portfolio)

try the website 

Could fans run a club? help spread the game . I was interested in response Bradford got when in crisis . Lets say if something was set up to help run and fund a club like south wales scorpions for example ( Ive selected this team as there bottom of the league and based in an area where RL are desperate to get established) OK  so here goes as a member you pay a monthly fee say £20 for 12 months which equals £240 a year .Imagine if you could get 10,000 members world wide . In return as a member you would get a members pass to all home games ie season ticket . An exclusive members badge . Every home match day programme sent to you . A new shirt every season of your choice either home or away . A members monthly prize draw with cash prizes .Any other ideas ?

Could this be done ?   

i tried exactly that at oldham roughyeds...but it got shot down by other supports groups and overzealous fans...

even of a relatively small membership group of 500 paying £20 a month puts £120,000 a year into the club..

It has been done.

Hunslet Hawks are now a supporter owned club who pay yearly memberships and the club is slowly getting out of debt and improving the club (media wise and sponsorship portfolio)

try the website 

really I didn't know this . When did it get set up as iv been to Hunslet several times in recent years and never seen anything about it .

The people who run clubs even the biggest clubs are fans

Hunslet independent supporters trust. HIST. Have owned and run the club for the last two years Rochdale are also run by their supporters trust

yeah but its £15 a year to be a member of HIST....not £15-20 a month 

Ken Davey is a fan, Ian Leneghan is a fan, Marwan Koukash is a fan etc

which clubs aren't run by fans?

I like the membership idea.

Some take it to far though, My Football Club at Ebbsfleet by all accounts was a bit of a disaster although I think they learned and moved on to Slough having modified the scheme.

I'd put up some money for sure in monthly membership if a club put together an imaginative enough package and the payment method was easy, in my case I'd probably be more attracted to a club outside of the heartlands, but do have soft spots for a number of Championship clubs.

fans as a "collective group"

Hunslet independent supporters trust. HIST. Have owned and run the club for the last two years Rochdale are also run by their supporters trust

The fans aren't running Hunslet Gary Hetherington is

I suspect HIST would disagree.

fans as a "collective group"[/quote

Same thing are the people on the boards of these clubs not fans?

They are

And anyway hetherington is a fan

Hull FC. Pearson knew sod all about rugby when he bought the club.

As his choice of coach perhaps shows. (with apologies to OF for nicking his copyright material  ;) )

He knew enough not to buy Hull KR.

He knew enough not to buy Hull KR.

Ha, ha! Well done John. But both you and I knew enough not to do that, so it's not saying much, really.  :D

Ha, ha! Well done John. But both you and I knew enough not to do that, so it's not saying much, really.  :D

They offered me HKR, but then this old geezer with a beard and a pointly hat gave me a good price on these magic beans.... ;) 

They offered me HKR, but then this old geezer with a beard and a pointly hat gave me a good price on these magic beans.... ;)

This is exactly what happened to Pearson. He ate the beans that the wizened man gave him, then bought Hull FC. Three days later he woke up in hospital with a monster headache and a huge black hole in his bank balance.

The moral of the story: don't eat the magic beans.

So he's a fan then

If FC don't improve a lot next season, they must be favourites for first ever membership in the middle 8. Maybe Pearson should have bought HKR instead. They look a better bet and don't have to share their stadium with a Premier league team with all the problems that brought to Wigan.

[/quote

Same thing are the people on the boards of these clubs not fans?

are you being thick for the sake of it?

this thread is about whether fans,hundreds or thousands of fans,as a collective group..ie a supporters trust,can run a club....its pretty simple

If FC don't improve a lot next season, they must be favourites for first ever membership in the middle 8. Maybe Pearson should have bought HKR instead. They look a better bet and don't have to share their stadium with a Premier league team with all the problems that brought to Wigan.

Aye. Wigan are really struggling at the DW.

are you being thick for the sake of it?

this thread is about whether fans,hundreds or thousands of fans,as a collective group..ie a supporters trust,can run a club....its pretty simple

And the people I have mentioned amongst many others are fans

Please try to curb the crass personal comments