Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boxhead

Marwan Koukash: I'll turn rugby league into a global sport

171 posts in this topic

The man hasnt even got Salford into the top eight of a fourteen team competition and you lot think the sun shines out of his head

The man hasnt even got Salford into the top eight of a fourteen team competition and you lot think the sun shines out of his head

The way they are currently performing they might just sneak into the playoffs and then anything can happen.

Give him a chance. Even chelsea didn't win owt in the first season of abramovich ownership

He's turned around a club who would have been a strong relegation contender this season, and the team should be better next year. That's a damn good start. Instant changearounds don't happen with sports teams - even the billions behind Chelsea and Manchester City (with no salary cap) took time to take effect.

The mans a complete failure, His trouble is he doesn't know his place, What's he doing messing about with Horses anyway, he should be racing Whippets and Pigeons.

The mans a complete failure, His trouble is he doesn't know his place, What's he doing messing about with Horses anyway, he should be racing Whippets and Pigeons.

Can't trust a man who never worked down t'pit.

Marwan is clearly an intelligent guy, he's built up a multi million pound empire for goodness sake.

The task is large but at least he is trying, the amount of people who seem to shoot him down because he is trying to expand the sport and gain media attention is baffling.

Marwan is clearly an intelligent guy, he's built up a multi million pound empire for goodness sake.

The task is large but at least he is trying, the amount of people who seem to shoot him down because he is trying to expand the sport and gain media attention is baffling.

Well, not all media attention is good... 

That's because some people are afraid of change, particularly if they think it might impact on their cosy little league.

Futtocks is right ,How can you trust a bloke who has made Billions, and not a penny of it from being down't Pit, What does Rugby league want with Blokes who have Billions, Sooner he leaves us to get back to winter and one big League, the better.

Think I'm in the (significant) minority , but i simply don't buy that he's "great for the sport". Yes, he has money. Yes, he has saved Salford. Yes, he has a "huge" media presence and(allegedly) a grand vision to make the game global. But the constant sniping against the RFL and "toys out of the pram" attitude if he doesn't get his way don't strike me as responisible, or well judged. He strikes me as little more than an egotistical loudmouth, who will move out of the game just as soon as he came crashing into it...just as soon as he gets bored or finds something else to interest him for a moment.

Think I'm in the (significant) minority , but i simply don't buy that he's "great for the sport". Yes, he has money. Yes, he has saved Salford. Yes, he has a "huge" media presence and(allegedly) a grand vision to make the game global. But the constant sniping against the RFL and "toys out of the pram" attitude if he doesn't get his way don't strike me as responisible, or well judged. He strikes me as little more than an egotistical loudmouth, who will move out of the game just as soon as he came crashing into it...just as soon as he gets bored or finds something else to interest him for a moment.

So just because he has the odd tantrum it wipes out all the goid things that even you have said about him.

IMHO he says things to get reaction and lets be honest after 18 years of SL you would have thought the game would have progressed so that we already had marquee players well before Koucash arrived. As a businessman he sees things differntally to the bods in charge and is not afraid to chsllenge the status quo.

As for him being egotistical, could you point out a billionaire that you know who is not egotistical.

I like Marwan Koukash's aspirational approach. After all, unless the sport expands it will contract - and that will ultimately mean its demise. He recognises that the game's current geographical and "socioeconomic" situation is poor. There just isn't a big enough "supporter pool" to sustain it long term.

To take RL to uncharted territory IS the only way forward. Dubai, Singapore, Mumbai... do them all. And give these places free rights to broadcast Super League and NRL matches, too. I mean, most of them are halfway between here and Australia, so ideal for club challenge matches.

Good luck to the fella.

This is a bit off topic but I was reading Owen Farrels twitter page yesterday, in one tweet he thanked Nike for a load of free golf equipment. In his profile he mentions Nike and Redbull, for just doing this he probably gets loads of free stuff.

What is the RL equivalent, a player thanking their local tatooist for their most recent eye sore??

Nandos and Costa.

Smash a feed, boom!

"I like Marwan Koukash's aspirational approach"

as , I am sure, do the vast majority of fans...apart from a few who seem to be keen on returning our game to swamp from which it emerged all those years ago. 

"I like Marwan Koukash's aspirational approach"

as , I am sure, do the vast majority of fans...apart from a few who seem to be keen on returning our game to swamp from which it emerged all those years ago. 

a few?

I've had a pop or two and made hilarious witticisms ever since he stepped foot in the game as I'd admire him more if he just knuckled down and got on with it, which he seems to be doing now after 12/18 months of bluster.

It really is a case of actions speaking louder than words IMO.

I've had a pop or two and made hilarious witticisms ever since he stepped foot in the game as I'd admire him more if he just knuckled down and got on with it, which he seems to be doing now after 12/18 months of bluster.

It really is a case of actions speaking louder than words IMO.

I disagree and think he has been delivering! The signings of Morely, Chase (both about 12 months ago now) and more recently Locke et al have all been steps forward for the club, and only now Harris has managed to start getting the structure in the team working are some people taking notice.

I don't mind the bluster and bravado either, it gets us column inches in the papers, and though some people would argue it isn't good publicity again I disagree, it isn't a drugs/bubbling/violence scandle its someone arguing about the future of the game who is passionate about it. OK he's trying to get his own way, but again we don't have to see that as a bad thing.

So just because he has the odd tantrum it wipes out all the goid things that even you have said about him.

IMHO he says things to get reaction and lets be honest after 18 years of SL you would have thought the game would have progressed so that we already had marquee players well before Koucash arrived. As a businessman he sees things differntally to the bods in charge and is not afraid to chsllenge the status quo.

As for him being egotistical, could you point out a billionaire that you know who is not egotistical.

George Soros immediately spring to mind. Almost everybody is egotistical in some form, though very few show it so publicly and selfishly as Koukash does.

George Soros immediately spring to mind. Almost everybody is egotistical in some form, though very few show it so publicly and selfishly as Koukash does.

selfishly?  I just don't understand. What do you want him to do?   I think we have to take the whole package.  

Surely there is no doubt that he has rescued Salford and slowly but surely his efforts and his  money have started to turn he club round. What a great time to be a Salford supporter, young or old..... I sxthat it? Maybe that's not what you want?

Surely there is no doubt that he has rescued Salford and slowly but surely his efforts and his  money have started to turn he club round. What a great time to be a Salford supporter, young or old..... I sxthat it? Maybe that's not what you want?

You're not wrong. What he's done is given the club hope. OK, it's not been plain sailing this year but if you go back 1 year and compare it to the current set up, don't think many will deny there's a decent improvement there. We've gone from rock bottom to playoff contender, not amazing, but not bad. Go back 2 years and you'd be surprised it's not Salford in London or Bradford's shoes.

Also, a nice touch from Salford for the Leeds game also they are renaming the South Stand as The Shed in honour of the old ground and have reduced tickets to £10 (£5 concessions) for the occassion. People might knock how he goes about his business but you can't really knock the effort he brings in trying to make Salford contenders.

selfishly?  I just don't understand. What do you want him to do?   I think we have to take the whole package.  

You appear to be confusing Salford with Koukash, they are not the same thing. Koukash was being discussed and how he conducts himself publicly. Koukash is slowly learning that outside the club he bought he has to co-operate with people without upsetting people. This might be the reason he has made renewed attempts to buy an NRL club if he does he might drop Salford like a lead balloon because  his reaction when he does not get his own way indicates his frustration will end up getting the better of him.

not almost mate, but all of us

You appear to be confusing Salford with Koukash, they are not the same thing. Koukash was being discussed and how he conducts himself publicly. Koukash is slowly learning that outside the club he bought he has to co-operate with people without upsetting people. This might be the reason he has made renewed attempts to buy an NRL club if he does he might drop Salford like a lead balloon because  his reaction when he does not get his own way indicates his frustration will end up getting the better of him.

There's a lot of if's and might's in that!

Let me offer another unsubstantiated thought to go with yours. If he does buy an NRL club, maybe he will revolutionise the way clubs are run and force the standards of the ESL up? 

You might be right but just for saving Salford, he's got my vote.

You appear to be confusing Salford with Koukash, they are not the same thing.  In my opinion, they are , certainly at present and for the foreseeable future.

. Koukash is slowly learning that outside the club he bought he has to co-operate with people without upsetting people.   Really? If so, it makes you wonder how he made it as far as he has in life.