Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cockney4league

First game you attended?

93 posts in this topic

I don't remember the first game I attended, I was only 13 days old...

The first game I remember however, was Batley v Doncaster in 1994. It was a promotion decider and the ground was absolutely packed. I watched most of the game from my grandad's shoulders, and went flying on two occasions: The first time was when my uncle Brendan got knocked out by a late high shot, and the second time was when he went over for Doncaster's opening try, setting up a memorable victory and with it promotion to the big league!

Good times :)

Leigh v Ryedale York, January 1992 at Hilton Park. John Woods broke the club record for points scored in a game. And it was all downhill from there...!

huddersfield v rochdale hornets at fartown 1987, all i remember was that rochdale won convincingly and that most of the crowd seemed to be from rochdale- i can still hear " curmmm on orrrnets" to this day.

it was at a time when the huddersfield club were on the brink of dying every week, with only a few hundred die hards still remaining on the crumbling fartown terrace.

it was an ex player-tony johnson, who did some youth stuff at our youth club that got us into it, we are still friends to this day and i still remind him of the day he met us in town and took us up to fartown for the first time.

after that, myself, brother and a mate started doing various jobs around the old place, starting off sweeping the terraces/picking up litter/car park attendants/scoreboard operators/ball boys/helping the kit man etc- all for free entry and a free coke and crisps in the supporters bar.

i like to think that the little bits we did went some way to help our club survive in those awful times.

Being a southerner (Berkshire born and bred) had to wait until I went to university in Bradford in 1981, Bradford Northern v Hull

After years of supporting Manchester City and watching them whenever I could, I had grown tired of watching a bunch of cheats throwing themselves to the ground and writhing in "agony" in order to get an opponent sent off. So, when faced with a Teaching Practice at a Rugby League playing school, I decided to go and watch a game for real. On holiday at my parents' house in Manchester, I checked the Manchester Evening News and found Rochdale Hornets v Oldham on December 26th, 1976 kick-off 3.00pm. A quick check with the A to Z and I arrived at the Athletic Grounds with time to spare.

At 2.55pm, out trotted the players. "What a load of puddings!", thought I. "They won't be able to run." By 3.05pm, I knew I had been wrong. These big lads could shift! At 3.10pm, just twenty yards in front of me (just across the speedway track), there was an almighty collision of a tackle. I thought, "He's not going to get up quick!" He did, though! And then played the ball before chasing off across the pitch. I stood, shellshocked, stunned, I couldn't believe what I had just seen. I've only been to one soccer match since that moment, when a friend dragged me along to Charlton v Derby. TGG is the only game for me and has been since ten past three on the afternoon of Boxing Day, 1976.

You know, there are some absolutely smashing stories in this topic … it would make a really good book if they were expanded, and personal pictures added etc …

Also, what is interesting to me is how many people are introduced to RL by their fathers/relatives. Just shows the importance of family … and I guess RL can be seen as one big family.

I might add that it was NOT a father or relative who introduced me to RL. My father died when I was VERY young, and my dear mum had little interest in sport, so I remained fairly oblivious to what was going on around me re footy until, at the age of 10, I changed primary schools to one where there were quite a few young RL fantatics - most of whom had been introduced to RL by their dads ! Been hooked ever since!

Did your mate enjoy the game? Was he converted????

He enjoyed the atmosphere as he didn't have a clue what was happening on the pitch.

And no he wasn't converted as he had no interest in any sport and only went to the game because we had been winding him up because he never went out without his girlfriend.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has no idea who David Beckham is.

Hmmm! When you can walk in Wigan (often even before!) you are taken to a rugby league match! My fave is Wigan winning the 1st WCC at Central Park! But I attended matches pre WCC.

Warrington v New Zealand at Wilderspool in 1979 (I think) as a little lad with my father.

Good times.

According to my late father it was Salford v Oldham at the old Watersheddings ground in the mid-sixties when i was four or five. Apparently i ran on the pitch at the end of the game and was returned to my Dad via the arms of Salfords fantastically named prop forward Charlie Bott.

My first match was St Helens v Featherstone(14-4) on a Wednesday night in 1982.

I went to a Bradford University open day earlier in the day and got talking to a lad who supported Oldham. I mentioned that I was into the round ball game and had only ever watched rugby league on TV. He said that if I ever saw a live game of RL I'd be hooked.

On the train on the way back to Liverpool, I saw in the paper that Saints were playing that night so got off at St Helens Junction and asked an old couple for directions to the ground. Having told me it was miles away they kindly gave me a lift.

The game wasn't particularly memorable but I recognised lots of players from TV like Griffiths, Arkwright and Glynn which was so different to watching lower division football where the players were pretty much unknown except to the diehards, yet played in front of similar size crowds.

Since then it has always been my second sport and I watch a decent amount of live matches each season in spite of living outside the heartlands.

My first match was at the Boulevard around 1975/76.  My parents used to go to watch Hull FC but after having myself and my younger sister waited until we were both old enough to have some kind of clue what was happening before taking us along which was when I was about 4 years old..  My earliest memory is of a scoreboard after we had well beaten Oldham 76-10 but research since suggests it was probably Whitehaven that we beat 47-10 on Monday 19th April 1976.  My memory has never really got any better since.

My dad took me to the GB v NZ tour match at Headingley in 1985, my only memory is of the great try scored after the cross-pitch full-length effort scored by Schoey maybe off a big forward pass.

First club match was Leeds v Widnes in the cup QF in 1986, Leeds won 5-0, no tries scored. I think I enjoyed it.

Celtic Crusaders vs Lokomotiv Moscow in the Challenge Cup on a freezing cold day in March 2006.

Don't remember a lot of the day apart from being sat behind Moscow's rather unimpressed chairman in the stand.

My first game was Rochdale Hornets v Oldham at the Athletics ground on the 27th of January 1962.

Oldham winning 17pts to 7.

Wakefield 23 Fax 3 on 14 Jan 1967.   Oupa Coetzer scored a length of the field try, running down field straight towards me (he stopped before he got to me).

Loved it.

Tuesday, April 14th, 1987 Widnes 62 Featherstone 16.  End of the season game.  I was out playing in the street and my dad called me over and asked if I wanted to go to the match.  Obviously chose a quiet game but I was just so thrilled to go.

October 1964 - Bradford Northern V York at Odsal. I can remember some of the players... Johnny Rae, Joe Levula, Brian Lord, Albert Wilkinson, Tommy Smales..

Smell of Wintergreen, orange slices in a bucket at half time for the players, coffee heavily laced with whiskey in the old wooden stand..

Even at my young age I found football a complete bore and still do - I got bitten by Rugby League that day in 1964 and never found the antedote..

some great names there from northerns past, my dad used to take me to a lot of bradford games because he was from the city and wanted me to become a northern fan but i fell in love with the mighty chemics...........BTW you mised out david stockwell one of the best stand offs of the 60's

Pretty certain mine was a Fax A team game against maybe Carlisle in the late 80's early 90's. Don't really remember much apart from it snowed and is still to this day the coldest I've ever been on a Saturday afternoon. On the upside i did get a Mars bar for my troubles!

I was 15 when I was taken to my first RL match - 1971 Leeds .v. Salford BBC2 trophy SF. My next game was in 1973 Featherstone Rovers .v. Salford Challenge cup round 1. Can't be many born and bred Salfordians whose first 2 RL matches were in Yorkshire. I fell in love with the game in 1975 and watched Manchester United Saturday and Salford Sunday until I gave up football in 1981, but I am seriously thinking of giving up RL again at the end of this season. 

Pretty certain mine was a Fax A team game against maybe Carlisle in the late 80's early 90's. Don't really remember much apart from it snowed and is still to this day the coldest I've ever been on a Saturday afternoon. On the upside i did get a Mars bar for my troubles!

Seeing the Carlisle A team of that era puts you in a fairly unusual category, there's not many of us about

Wigan v Hull KR in about 1993. Wigan won comfortably.

My first game was Workington Town vs Leeds in 1978.

I think the match finished in a 9-9 draw, and there was a horrific injury to one of the Town players( think he was called Mick? Burke).

The poor guy's career was finished and he ended up paralysed.

John Burke, signed for town from Wigan, lives ( or did) quite close to me, still confined to a wheelchair, John still always seemed to have a smile on his face, and i remember seeing him at a few Leigh past players dinners with Mick Stacey.

Seeing the Carlisle A team of that era puts you in a fairly unusual category, there's not many of us about

Agree mate but like I say, can't be sure it was them. pretty sure that one of my first 1st team games was against Carlisle in the Regal Trophy though. Also remember Fax playing the Aussies and Alan Langer kicking a penalty into touch which bounced of my head. My Dads mate wasn't too impressed and yelled out 'you s**t fat ###### Langer'. To which he turned round to and grinned like a cheshire cat