Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mumby Magic

The Most Versatile "Utility" Player there has been?

63 posts in this topic

Bit of fun time.

The game now has seen many positions become very similar (if any difference at all). "Back in  the day" there were notable differences like certain size per position etc.

In terms of the thread question I am meaning to a good level not just played that position in a team. eg Now Keith Mumby wasn't the most versatile but saw service to a reasonable extent at Full back, S/off and Loose Forward and played for GB in the Centre.

For unusual versatility I'll pick a very recent candidate and nominate Tony 'T-Rex' Williams' recent stint playing half back for the Canterbury Bulldogs while the regular halves pairing were playing State of Origin.

He made a decent fist of it too. Must be the largest half of all time. 

For unusual versatility I'll pick a very recent candidate and nominate Tony 'T-Rex' Williams' recent stint playing half back for the Canterbury Bulldogs while the regular halves pairing were playing State of Origin.

He made a decent fist of it too. Must be the largest half of all time. 

Largest half of all time has to be Karl Pryce, surely? He had the odd game there for Bradford.

Sam Panapa was a very good all-rounder for Wigan.

Ellery Hanley.

I'm not sure that he was ever a utility player. I would have said his career and positions progressed and he excelled in all of them, but consecutively, rather than concurrently.

Kurt Gidley at Newcastle springs to mind. At various stages of his career I've seen him play, Full Back, Wing, Centre, Stand Off, Scrum Half, Hooker and Loose Forward.

It's this versatility that saw him play for NSW IMO.

In the British game I think Jordan Tansey has covered all the back line positions.

In a recent interview Danny Addy said he thought the only positions he hadn't now played were full-back and wing after Lowes deployed him at 'prop' for a bit in the last few matches.

Chev Walker must have covered a few positions in his time.

Largest half of all time has to be Karl Pryce, surely? He had the odd game there for Bradford.

Sam Panapa was a very good all-rounder for Wigan.

I'll give you Karl Pryce by height, think T-Rex wins by weight though. 

Also, there was a piece on Tommy Gallagher in the last Rugby League World which mentioned he played everywhere bar one position, can't remember which.

Chev Walker must have covered a few positions in his time.

Indeed but my point was to a decent standard!!! My point earlier was about to a good level. The odd sub appearance as prop doesn't make him established in that position. Tansey's a good shout.

Stanley Gene

Halfback, centre, hooker, loose forward

Entertaining as hell no matter where he played

Stanley Gene

Halfback, centre, hooker, loose forward

Entertaining as hell no matter where he played

Had forgotten about Stanley.... Good call!

The fact this thread got to 12 posts and nobody had mentioned Richard Whiting is appalling.

Sam Burgess and Sonny Bill Williams can play anywhere except scrum half and hooker. 

Ellery Hanley could play anywhere except prop and so could, at a push, John Holmes and Henry Paul.

Lee Gilmour

Played as an international winger, 2nd rower, Centre and probably had a few minutes in other roles as well

jonny Hepworth

all the back positions plus hooker and loose forward

very under rated player.

during any given game these days players move all over the place. 

Didn't Phil Veivers play in a fair few positions? He certainly played Full Back, Loose Forward, Stand Off and Hooker while at Huddersfield. I.m sure i read somewhere he played every position but Prop while at Saints although i could've dreamed that.

Richard whiting.

Me. In my time in both codes I played, hooker, prop, second row, back row, scrum half and wing. (of course I wasn't much good at any of them!)

Greg Inglis is pretty versatile.

He has been  the stand off of the year a couple of times in the NRL

Has won the NRL Centre of the year

Has represented Australia at Fullback and Centre.

Has represented Qld on the Wing.

He may well end up as a Lock as he gets older.

So he has played at top level across the backs other than Scrum Half,

A (somewhat) related question that the US sports writer Bill Simmons used to ask regarding basketball is if you had to have a team of just one player, which player would you pick?

Hard to argue against Inglis, although not sure about his kicking. From Super League it's a tougher question, although I'd be quite tempted by Daryl Clark.

Steve peters for Saints was the ultimate utility player. From memory I'd say he played every position in the backs except winger. He also did that most seasons. I'm pretty sure he also played loose forward second row and hooker in his time.

Roger Simpson, the ex Bradford Northern, Batley and GB man played in every single position from 1-7 at various stages of his career. One of my favourite Batley players of all-time - only about 5'5 and 11 stone but had terrific pace, strength and footwork.