Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mumby Magic

The Most Versatile "Utility" Player there has been?

63 posts in this topic

I think Bret 'The Spartan' McDermott played in every position in his career with the Cumbrian clubs.

I think Bret 'The Spartan' McDermott played in every position in his career with the Cumbrian clubs.

And probably got sent off in each of them.

Steve Ella and joe Lydon,both great players who could play any position in the backs and could do a job in the halves.

richard russell was pretty versatile seen him play full back centre hooker and loose forward, maybe in the halves too.

A blast from the past, but one of the most verstile players has to be Kevin o'Loughlin who played for Wigan (1963-75) in all 13 postions as well as both sub spots

Brett Delaney has played centre, second row, prop and loose forward. and all to a very good standard. 

Craig Hall seems to play in a few positions. so did Sam Panapa. 

I think most players can now play in more than one position these days. but these 2 seem to have good games wherever they are asked to play. 

What about players who've made dramatic mid-career positional moves? Peter Edwards, the former fringe Kiwi full-back, ended up as a very effective hooker at Doncaster, and I remember a lad called Mickey Edwards at Oldham who made the move from scrum-half to prop forward.

What about players who've made dramatic mid-career positional moves? Peter Edwards, the former fringe Kiwi full-back, ended up as a very effective hooker at Doncaster, and I remember a lad called Mickey Edwards at Oldham who made the move from scrum-half to prop forward.

Peter Edwards also played for Salford, and looked like a good player to me.

John Joyner was bloody brilliant as a centre, stand off and loose forward

He's almost the forgotten man of his era. What's he doing these days?

He's almost the forgotten man of his era. What's he doing these days?

I honestly don't know - saw him at Wembley last year and he looks very well and he's involved with local amateur RL at some level around the Cas area

richard russell was pretty versatile seen him play full back centre hooker and loose forward, maybe in the halves too.

sure I daw him play in every position apart from prop when at Oldham. Also Paul Round and Charlie McAlister played every position apart from half back for Oldham.

Neil Fox

Wing, Centre, Stand Off, Second Row & Prop

World Record Points Scorer

Nigel Bell. Signed for Trinity as a scrum half. Played SH, prop, second row and hooker.  Never gave less than 100% whichever position he played.

Billy Boston played every position except the front row ones.

That would go to Harvey Howard started as a winger and moved to prop

Ged Byrne must have played most positions and he did it for Wigan and Salford.

He also gets extra credit for his smoking habit and being the meanest window cleaner in Greater Manchester. Where do I collect my winnings?

Ged Byrne must have played most positions and he did it for Wigan and Salford.

He also gets extra credit for his smoking habit and being the meanest window cleaner in Greater Manchester. Where do I collect my winnings?

Ged was never a window cleaner, despite rumours to the contrary. Check his player profile in old programs, he was a Visual Technician.

:-)

Wellens has played every position except prop for Saints in his career. There's still time for him to complete the set with Brown in charge !

In a recent interview Danny Addy said he thought the only positions he hadn't now played were full-back and wing after Lowes deployed him at 'prop' for a bit in the last few matches.

danny addy is a superb utility player hopefully our next capture from the bulls 

That would go to Harvey Howard started as a winger and moved to prop

As did King Kurt

Johnathan Davies played every back position whilst at Widnes, as well as taking the kicking duties, and was brilliant in all of them.

As did King Kurt

Johnathan Davies played every back position whilst at Widnes, as well as taking the kicking duties, and was brilliant in all of them.

Sorensen was supposed to be seriously quick as a youngster.

Phil Blake.....an NRL / ESL.... eighties / nineties player played fullback,center,half, five eight, Loose forward, Hooker, Wing and excelled in all positions.

Always on the move

Manly

Warrington

Souths

Wigan

North Sydney

St George

Auckland

Canberra

Manly 2nd time around didn't play.