Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Railway End

Representing 3 Countries

7 posts in this topic

On the "versatile utility players" thread, JohnM suggested Sam Panapa and provided a link to Wikipedia.

It appears Panapa played for 3 countries, New Zealand, Western Samoa and Tokelau.

Are there any other players to achieve such a feat?

The great Alfredo Di Stefano played for Argentina, Spain and Colombia!

Did he play for Les Catalans? ;-)

Did he play for Les Catalans? ;-)

If only. Just think if Warrington had signed him they would have had Bevan and Di Stefano on the wings.

But for those youngsters under 30 who's only knowledge of football is the Premier League, David Beckhams haircuts and Richard Keys I am talking about a legend who played the game when hard men were like granite and the likes of Keane, Viera would be as effective as Lord Snooty against them .... Oh god, these youngsters wont know who Lord Snooty is .....

I think in RL it has happened a few times. 

Current player Eddy Pettybourne at Wigan?  He has played for Samoa and the USA, and has also been in the full Kiwis squad - although I dont think he actually played a test for NZ.  It is not impossible that he could do so in future though.

I will have a think, but i suspect there might be others.

(Tony Puletua has played for NZ, Samoa, and 'The Exiles' in Test matches, although obviously this isn't 3 countries.  David Faiumu has done the same.)

Harrison Hansen played for England at youth level before playing for New Zealand and then Samoa.

I think in RL it has happened a few times. 

Current player Eddy Pettybourne at Wigan?  He has played for Samoa and the USA, and has also been in the full Kiwis squad - although I dont think he actually played a test for NZ.  It is not impossible that he could do so in future though.

I will have a think, but i suspect there might be others.

(Tony Puletua has played for NZ, Samoa, and 'The Exiles' in Test matches, although obviously this isn't 3 countries.  David Faiumu has done the same.)

It would take the sudden retirement of their top couple of hundred forwards.