Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickD

The new league structure - discussion, hopes, fears

31 posts in this topic

Disappointed. The bonus point system made more than a few games a tad more exciting in the final quarter. One only has to think back to both Leigh and Fev away last season. Think it's good for the speccies, but why should they count?

It's all RU with you isn't it Grumpy? I think you're just a third columnist.

:P

The BP system was quite fun really, although it actually had very little tangible effect over the years. It will probably be remembered with the same fondness as the John Player Trophy is now.

I wake up every day and thank the gods for Rugby Union BSJ - without it there would be no Dewsbury Rams - or indeed Rugby League. :onthequiet: And where would we all have been without the Eton schoolkid who picked up the football and ran off with it  - and his games masters "nice try lad" comment.

Wasn't it Webb Ellis at Rugby school.

Cheers Roger.

Wasn't it Webb Ellis at Rugby school.

Cheers Roger.

No, that was a myth created by the RFU (about a Rugby school pupil GOR - Eton had a completely different game which included scrummaging against a wall followed by tormenting the working classes for 20 years; not a very edifying spectacle) after the breakaway to try to reinforce their credentials of origin and surpress the "professional game" along with the hoary-handed oiks who played it.

HTH

GOR has a tenuous point regarding the games origins but, as we all know, if their had been no breakaway we would all be watching RL, not union.

I wake up every day and thank the gods for Rugby Union BSJ - without it there would be no Dewsbury Rams - or indeed Rugby League. :onthequiet: And where would we all have been without the Eton schoolkid who picked up the football and ran off with it  - and his games masters "nice try lad" comment.

Not too sure about that, grumps. Don' forget that, despite the fact that RL came from union, the whole union system was just a stepping stone along the way, since a few of our clubs were playing some kind of 'handling football', long before the RFU came into existence and codified the game to gave it its first national rules. I don't think it's stretching things too far to say that, if there had been no RFU, the already existing clubs would have formed some other kind of union or league in order to have regular fixtures and then there may well have been no RFU. Of course, it's equally true to say that without the union influence, 'rugby' would undoubtedly be a totally different game to the one we enjoy now.

No, that was a myth created by the RFU (about a Rugby school pupil GOR - Eton had a completely different game which included scrummaging against a wall followed by tormenting the working classes for 20 years; not a very edifying spectacle) after the breakaway to try to reinforce their credentials of origin and surpress the "professional game" along with the hoary-handed oiks who played it.

Gosh, I'm agreeing with Johnny.  :fie:  The Webb Ellis thing is, indeed, nonsense as it implies that Football was played with the feet alone in 1822 and Webb Ellis had this great idea about picking it up.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Football was primarily a handling code and was called football because it was played by people on foot.