Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doghead

Rugby League's popularity riding high (Merged threads)

83 posts in this topic

Maybe his opinion is a little bit 'glass is half full' but then so it should be from the chief exec.

I don't think the game fully capitalised on the good vibes from the World Cup but it's hardly been an unmitigated disaster since then either.

Big question for me is how they will deliver on the below statement -

RFL was working with other partners to produce an improved calendar for international competition that will benefit the national team 

Hard to judge it obviously until some actual concrete fixtures start appearing

"And Wood told the AGM in St Helens that the RFL was working with other partners to produce an improved calendar for international competition that will benefit the national team."

Does it involve no home internationals for 3 years by any chance?

Big question for me is how they will deliver on the below statement -

RFL was working with other partners to produce an improved calendar for international competition that will benefit the national team

Who are these partners?

If it's the NRL we could be waiting a while for any international fixtures. If it's the RLIF, could this explain why we haven't seen big Nige for a while. He's been locked away in a dark room talking to himself!

I found this a very interesting point:

"In the 16-19 age group participant levels rose by 16%, at adult level there was a 52 per cent increase and university Rugby League participation increased by 20 per cent."

With teams folding at the 16-19 age group according to posters on here and a decent amount of adult games not going ahead in both seasons, I am not sure I can take that as gospel...

Meanwhile, RFL chief executive Nigel Wood reported a profit for 2013 of £120,000 - almost double that of the previous year - from a record turnover of £34million. (That's a huge 0.35% Net)

It is the 12th successive year that the governing body has made a profit.

Wood said the popularity of rugby league was at an all-time high, with almost 39 million people watching the game live - either at the ground or on television - which was more than 40 per cent up on 2012, and claimed that participant levels increased across all categories. (Yawn!!!!!!!)

More spin than the rear wheels on a Formula 1 car!!!

does seem hard to believe some of these claims. this thread will be epic.

Didn't we make profits that ran into the multiples of millions a few years back

if the RFL didn't put millions back into the game then the profits would be millions instead of £120k

"Wood said the popularity of rugby league was at an all-time high, with almost 39 million people watching the game live - either at the ground or on television - which was more than 40 per cent up on 2012,…"

Surely that's due mainly to the 2013 RLWC, which would have provided a one-off boost to crowds, viewing figures etc, yes?

so why are the attendances down at almost very club?????

Its not often I defend the RFL but governing bodies should not report large profits  - if they do then they are failing in their duty. Money earned by the game and held by the governing body should be distributed back into the clubs and community game and not retained centrally.

i agree plough the money into junior rugby to help develop our stars of the future 

Totally agree with Lord Charles the RFL is all about spin from the senior figures in the game. The truth never gets in the way of self preservation when Nigel Wood speaks.

The game is a business that is being run by people who are out of their depth. Our competitors Rugby Union and the NRL have made massive strides in the last ten to fifteen years. Why? very simple ....... professional leadership.

We are going nowhere with Barwick, Wood and Rimmer. By the way what exactly does Brian Barwick doing on a daily basis?

Not much for investment, expansion or for a rainy day.

forget expansion fat nige has 

I think I am right in saying £2million of profit from the World Cup was moved to the RLIF.

Wood said the popularity of rugby league was at an all-time high, with almost 39 million people watching the game live - either at the ground or on television - which was more than 40 per cent up on 2012, and claimed that participant levels increased across all categories

Active Peoples Survey from 2006-13, tells its own tale..............

Cricket - 195,200 particpants in 2006 down 3% to 189,400 in 2013

Football - 2,021,700 participants in 2006 down 4% to 1,939,700 in 2013

Rugby Union - 185,600 participants in 2006 down 10% to 166,400 in 2013

Golf - 889,100 participants in 2006 down 13% to 772,800 in 2013

Rugby League - 73,700 participants in 2006 down 34% to 48,700 in 2013

I think I am right in saying £2million of profit from the World Cup was moved to the RLIF.

Can't remember if that's the actual figure, but yes it was a few million

Can he not be sued for blatant lying?

Would you rather he was telling the world that everything's awful, and that we should just pack up now? That'd really please the sponsors.

Active Peoples Survey from 2006-13, tells its own tale..............

Cricket - 195,200 particpants in 2006 down 3% to 189,400 in 2013

Football - 2,021,700 participants in 2006 down 4% to 1,939,700 in 2013

Rugby Union - 185,600 participants in 2006 down 10% to 166,400 in 2013

Golf - 889,100 participants in 2006 down 13% to 772,800 in 2013

Rugby League - 73,700 participants in 2006 down 34% to 48,700 in 2013

What time period was Wood talking about? I assume he wasn't lookig at the above period.

His statements were vague enough to be true.

39m viewers last year could easily be the highest on record, as pointed out, a technicality due to the WC, however if it is higher than previous WC years then that is a positive.

He then said participation increased - I suppose we'd need to see 2012 vs 2013 to judge that.