Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Viking Warrior

best game you ever saw

48 posts in this topic

mine was at houghton road sthelens when runcorn highfield beat keighley by 50 points to end a 2 1/2 year losing streak

Easy, Wigan vs Manly 1986 World Club Challenge. Not one try, but a riveting game.

Saints v Brisbane WCC or NZ v Tonga 1995 WC or Carlisle beating Cas in the Regal Trophy in 1994

England v NZ in the semi final

Possibly the most amazing and hesrtbreaking game I ever saw

Failing that 1st test

Wembley

That semi-final last year was up there as one of the the most thrilling I've seen in decades. Agonising at the end, but two teams giving and risking everything for a big noisy crowd - fabulous!

Yep, that semi for me too.

Closely followed by the 2008 WC final.

From a Wire point of view, the CCSemi against Wigan at Widnes is a highlight. Semi finals are more nerve-wracking, disappointing and/or enjoyable than any others.

England v New Zealand at Wembley last year.

The 2002 SL Grand Final.

Fev v York in the Challenge Cup in 2004. (We beat them 4 times that year)

In no particular order!

England v New Zealand as others have said, and a happy rather than painful one: Warrington 15 Australia 12 at Wilderspool in 1978.

I'd have to say England v NZ at Wembley last year. I've followed the game for over 50 years but I doubt you'd see more skill, effort, bravery and drama in one game than there was in that one.  The end was heartbreaking, but that's sport there have to be winners and losers.  James Graham sat on the ground, bleeding, utterly shattered summed up our lads' effort for me.  You can't give more than your all, and those lads gave 110% (both sides)  I think the downside was the final, NZ had clearly nothing left in the tank.  England would probably have been the same.

Failing that 1st test

Wembley

absolutely right. I have never been more exhilarated, and emotionally drained after a game.

I'd have to say England v NZ at Wembley last year. I've followed the game for over 50 years but I doubt you'd see more skill, effort, bravery and drama in one game than there was in that one.  The end was heartbreaking, but that's sport there have to be winners and losers.  James Graham sat on the ground, bleeding, utterly shattered summed up our lads' effort for me.  You can't give more than your all, and those lads gave 110% (both sides)  I think the downside was the final, NZ had clearly nothing left in the tank.  England would probably have been the same.

That's the thing about that match - both teams gave everything and both made it a stunning game. That Kiwi try with the over-shoulder no-look pass from the touchline was just as brilliant as anything England did. Okay, whoever won would have been somewhat drained for the final, but what a match.

Last year's England NZ semi and the 1990 Wembley test are good picks. Also Australia NZ at the Stoop and Lebanon Cook Islands at the Millennium Stadium would be on my list, but for me Wales v. Samoa at the Vetch in 1995 is the Daddy

hull kr v oldham 2nd devision premiership final at old trafford. oldham 29 to 6 down 5 minutes into the second half then winning 30 To 39 with five to go and hanging on to win. i can remember tommy martyn cart wheeling up the touch line after scoring the winner.

Wigan v Bradford 2007 Play Offs. Wigan losing 30 - 6 and then go on to win 30 - 31.

Had to have a think about this. The 1985 Cup Final and the WC semi-final are up there, but, bizarre as this may seem to some people, it has to be our 72-6 loss (!) at Whitehaven on 14th. September 1986, as we didn't effectively have a club a week earlier and now we were up and running again.

Apart from a lot of the games referred to above, Aus-NZ in the World Cup semifinal 1995.

And Hoyland Vikings' against the odds victory against Rotherham in the South West Yorkshire Cup Final - 2002, I think it was.  Great entertainment on so many levels.

Agree with the World Cup semi final, for commitment and effort it can't be beat.

The best game I've been at live would be last season when Fev beat Sheffield with a try in last few minutes which I think sealed the league leaders shield for the fourth year in a row.

I'd also mention the 98 grand final between Fev and wakey, I was 11 years old and even tho Fev lost it was that game that made me fall in love with the rovers, I've never felt emotion like it a rugby game.

I have seen a lot of brillianbt games, and the RLWC semi final was up there. However for me, the best game I have ever seen is the Challenge Cup semi-final between Leeds and St Helens in 2003. 

I don't support either team, but the game was incredible.  26-20 to Saints with a minute to go.  Leeds scored in the corner, and sinfield goaled with the last kick, from the corner on his wrong side.  in extra time a lot of players were cramping, and Danny McGuire hit a drop goal, and then scored a superb solo try to win it.

Incredible match.

I have seen a lot of brillianbt games, and the RLWC semi final was up there. However for me, the best game I have ever seen is the Challenge Cup semi-final between Leeds and St Helens in 2003. 

I don't support either team, but the game was incredible.  26-20 to Saints with a minute to go.  Leeds scored in the corner, and sinfield goaled with the last kick, from the corner on his wrong side.  in extra time a lot of players were cramping, and Danny McGuire hit a drop goal, and then scored a superb solo try to win it.

Incredible match.

That was an epic. Absolutely loved it.

Incredible match.

There was also the 1995 World Cup Semi Final between Aus and NZ which went to extra time and Matthew Ridge missed a long range drop goal - I could have muddled some details!

That stadium has seen some right classics.