Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Viking Warrior

best game you ever saw

48 posts in this topic

There was also the 1995 World Cup Semi Final between Aus and NZ which went to extra time and Matthew Ridge missed a long range drop goal - I could have muddled some details!

That stadium has seen some right classics.

Extended highlights of that match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8c7swBFamY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOIEzOMVD0E

NZ v Samoa in the WC last year, brilliant entertainment. Also Featherstone v York in the CC 2004 as Gav mentioned. A man down, a lower league and scored in the last minute to get into the QFs as an NL2 side, great stuff!

Been to some great Wigan v Saints games (not so much recently), and had a surreal out of body experience due to over-excitement at a Cas-Leeds game at Wheldon Road when it looked like Iestyn Harris was about to score a winner (his hat-trick try I think) for Leeds (Cas-Leeds would be my general choice for almost guaranteed entertainment).

But the best would be the 'voluntary tackle' grand final. A good game, a great finish, and made all the better by Jimmy Lowes' massive whinefest.

I can't include the WC semi because it still makes me feel sick to think of it. F'in Sinfield!

I wish I'd been at the 'wide to west' game, that must have been something, although I suspect you had to be watching it on TV to get the full impact of Matt Elliot falling off his seat at the end.

1st cc Leeds v Wigan February 1957 OR RLCC final 1965 Hunslet v Wigan Or the Cup final that Terry Webb mentioned Hull v Wigan

Great thread VW - my choice is a game I think you may have been at

2007 NL1 Grand final at Headingley Cas v Widnes

Now that WAS a game

The 1992 thrashing of the Aussies at Melbourne, what a day (and night) that was.

Closer to home, the 0-0 draw between Whitehaven and Workington in 1993 was a belter. No points but a game that had everything else, including the best tackle I ever saw by Des Drummond on David Seeds.

Wigan vs Leeds, 2003 play-offs

I will never forget that game a man sat next to me was smoking so rather than catch cancer and die i left the ground after 10mins

for me as a wakefield fan, 1998 1st div grand final at huddersfield against fev. was the most draining game i have ever been to. had everything in it.

1999 super league v st helens at oakwell in barnsley. saint undefeated in first 9 games and we turned them over in our first season in super league. lyton scott with a drop goal and tommy matryn missed penalty with last kick of the game, albeit from within his own half. 

as a rugby league fan 1995 world cup semi aus v nz was awesome, as already said before. i remember it like it was yesterday. matthew ridge on his wrong foot from about half way just missing with a drop goal will live with me till i die. 

Now that WAS a game

I was there that day, in the new stand cheering for Cas.

1st cc Leeds v Wigan February 1957 OR RLCC final 1965 Hunslet v Wigan Or the Cup final that Terry Webb mentioned Hull v Wigan

That Wigan v Hunslet was a great game and Hunslet could have won it. A home grown squad with one Welshman against a star studded team of talents.

it was the first time I saw losers go on a lap of honour and boy did they deserve it.

There was also the 1995 World Cup Semi Final between Aus and NZ which went to extra time and Matthew Ridge missed a long range drop goal - I could have muddled some details!

That stadium has seen some right classics.

Aye a belting game. The stadium has seen some cracking games and on occasions these have involved the Giants...

Now that WAS a game

trust you kenny

and who can forget the 1989 WCC between widnes and canberra raiders tremendous fight back by the chemics to win 30-18

Already stated the best game I've seen from a rugby point of view but on a personal level,Leeds v Manly WCC 2012.Seeing my son walk onto the field with Jamie Lyon,brought a tear to my eyes.

as quite a few have stated already eng v nz world cup semi last year, but from club level has to be for me 2010 northern rail cup final batley bulldogs v widnes ,the underdogs winning with superb kick to the corner by gareth moore for alex brown to leap into the air to catch the ball and go over in the corner for the winning try will always live on in my memory

I was the game I enjoyed most as the same time as everyone else, when I was young.

2011 Northern Rail Cup Final, Tom Armstrong scoring in the last 20 seconds to beat Halifax when we hadn't been winning at any point during the game. Similarly the 2006 Northern Rail Cup Final, 12-0 down to a Hull KR side who were unbeaten all season and ended up winning 16-12 on a baking hot day including a try from the late Dana Wilson (RIP). Never felt so drained as the 2004 Grand Final though, somehow dragged it to extra time and then ran away with it with a few tries. Spent the second half in tears as I remember us getting relegated as a 7 year old in the 93/94 season and so had virtually grown up watching us outside of the top flight (and much further down at times) and we'd finally got back there.

Agree with most on here, England v NZ WC semi-final at Wembley was the highest intensity and most engrossing match I have ever seen live.

For entertainment then the 1988 2nd Division Premiership Final at Old Trafford - Fev v Oldham - was one that I remember really fondly as a kid (despite the last gasp disappointment). Rovers were 22-0 down after 50 minutes before coming back to lead 26-22 with a few minutes to go. A late Oldham try won it but still great memories.

2005 Challenge Cup Final, when FC beat Leeds. I was an exhausted, emotional wreck by the end of it.

York City Knights v Hull KR January 26th 2003 First game for the Knights after Wasps went bust 9 months earlier.