Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

smoking at stadiums

90 posts in this topic

Are you sure about that? For example, what about if someone only treats themselves to a gasper or two at the rugby? how is that any less responsible than having a few pints?

because there are no circumstances where smoking isn't harmful

Like I say, we're not exactly in a position to take the moral high ground. We serve fast food, beer, sweets, etc. We don't offer "healthy" side dishes and the like. It would be hypocritical to say "we ban smoking because it's not healthy."

Smoking indoors or in areas of high public concentration, yeah sure. But designated smoking areas, not an issue. Second hand smoke isn't an issue if you're going there for one!

We should try to be more accommodating to people, regardless of their (legal) habits.

see the other thread where junk food and so on are discussed

So we should also ban junk food from grounds too,if you want to go the whole healthy lifestyle route.

see other thread where this is discussed

yes we should

see other thread where this is discussed

yes we should

Mate,it's just people smoking.

Mate,it's just people smoking.

well spotted

well spotted

Thank you, I pride myself on my powers of observation.

Thank you, I pride myself on my powers of observation.

you'll do for me cock

I used to smoke.  Now I hate the smell of it. When I'm near someone smoking I can't believe I used to pay to inhale that stuff!  But smoking to excess doesn't cause bad behaviour in the way that drink does.  I've seen some appalling sights at rugby through too much alcohol.  As my mam used to say "when beer's in, wit's out"  I enjoy a pint or two at the weekend (well perhaps more than one or two) but I don't drink at the rugby because TBH I've a job following what's going on sober let alone after a couple of pints.  If I were in charge I'd ban alcohol, not sure about smoking.  Fev have banned it but due to one reason or another I haven't been to a game there for a while (holidays and on Sunday a bout of the runs!)  I remember the days of winter rugby, half time just as it was gettng dusk, you could watch the flicker of matches lighting in the stand opposite as they all lit up!  Them were t' days.

I used to smoke.  Now I hate the smell of it. When I'm near someone smoking I can't believe I used to pay to inhale that stuff!  But smoking to excess doesn't cause bad behaviour in the way that drink does.  I've seen some appalling sights at rugby through too much alcohol.  As my mam used to say "when beer's in, wit's out"  I enjoy a pint or two at the weekend (well perhaps more than one or two) but I don't drink at the rugby because TBH I've a job following what's going on sober let alone after a couple of pints.  If I were in charge I'd ban alcohol, not sure about smoking.  Fev have banned it but due to one reason or another I haven't been to a game there for a while (holidays and on Sunday a bout of the runs!)  I remember the days of winter rugby, half time just as it was gettng dusk, you could watch the flicker of matches lighting in the stand opposite as they all lit up!  Them were t' days.

they haven't banned it apparently

How many RL Stadiums still allow smoking?

this is a guess but I'd say the 'traditional' ones.

Yes. I'm fed up with people forcing me to eat their junk food and drink their beer , just like smokers force me to I breast their carcinogenic exhilations .

But if there's designated smoking areas at the ground, this won't be an issue. There are at many grounds. In fact, a lot of people don't even realise where they are. You'd have to go out of your way to breathe in smoke at the KC.

this is a guess but I'd say the 'traditional' ones.

Regards 'traditional ones' is that in terraced areas or throughout the stadium?

But if there's designated smoking areas at the ground, this won't be an issue. There are at many grounds. In fact, a lot of people don't even realise where they are. You'd have to go out of your way to breathe in smoke at the KC.

how do you think this squares up with the healthy life style message clubs promote in their schools and community work?

how do you think this squares up with the healthy life style message clubs promote in their schools and community work?

About the same as then serving beer and fast food.

It's all or none in my opinion.

because there are no circumstances where smoking isn't harmful

More so than drinking alcohol? I've not seen that study...

You lot sound like a barrel of laughs. A healthy lifestyle can incorporate some treats. You might choose to have that or those during the rugby. Just because they sell beers and pies at the rugby doesn't mean you have to ingest them all the time

I think l'ang's point is that, unless a smoker stands about 50 yards from the nearest person, people will always be affected by any smoke produced directly or second hand passively from them. Unless they're a clumsy bleeder, you're not likely to get splashed by alcohol, even if somebody is drinking right next to you.

Like has already been mentioned, if you willingly attend a none smoking facility, you should be prepared to do without smoking for as long as you're on the premises of said facility.

I once saw a bloke take a child of around 18 months old into one of the traps at the KC stadium. You could see the smoke coming out over the top of said trap for the duration of his cigarette. He then emerged stinking of smoke, still carrying the child who, presumably, had to "enjoy" the smoke as well. I found this behaviour appalling and an utterly selfish act.

(and before anyone asks, I was suffering with a touch of food poisoning at the time and, rather desperately, needed to spend a little time on my own... :ph34r: )

I stopped smoking years ago and the only pleasure i get is through passive smoking so please dont ban it

I think l'ang's point is that, unless a smoker stands about 50 yards from the nearest person, people will always be affected by any smoke produced directly or second hand passively from them. Unless they're a clumsy bleeder, you're not likely to get splashed by alcohol, even if somebody is drinking right next to you.

Like has already been mentioned, if you willingly attend a none smoking facility, you should be prepared to do without smoking for as long as you're on the premises of said facility.

I once saw a bloke take a child of around 18 months old into one of the traps at the KC stadium. You could see the smoke coming out over the top of said trap for the duration of his cigarette. He then emerged stinking of smoke, still carrying the child who, presumably, had to "enjoy" the smoke as well. I found this behaviour appalling and an utterly selfish act.

(and before anyone asks, I was suffering with a touch of food poisoning at the time and, rather desperately, needed to spend a little time on my own... :ph34r: )

I think they raises other issues then to be honest, like banning children from the smoking area. I agree, totally selfish.

But I think the result of "second hand drinking" is more than second hand smoking. I reckon it causes far more problems than smoking ever will.

If the facility allows smoking it isn't a non-smoking facility though is it?  If over 50% of the area is uncovered then smoking in that area is perfectly legal and so if the facility decide to allow smoking in that area then it's up to non-smokers to take it on the chin for 80 minutes.  Smoking isn't going to kill anyone over an 80 minute spell.  However, drink enough in 80 minutes and death is possible, and not necessarily to the drinker.  All it takes is one punch ...

Having said that, an effective alternative for smokers struggling with the tension at matches are e-cigs.  They're legal everywhere and even if a facility bans them you can easily get away with using them because they don't emit smoke and with a bit of clever handling, especially if using a cartomiser e-cig (rather than the liquid ones, which are bigger), nobody has a clue.  As an e-cig user I can confirm this as I got away with using them in Wembley and Cardiff during the world cup. Both are facilities which ban the use of e-cigs.

Our clubs just aren't organised enough on match days. You go somewhere like the Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane and they give pass outs onto an external concourse for smokers to go and indulge themselves away from the rest of the crowd. I've not seen anything similar in any RL stadium over here.

Having said that, an effective alternative for smokers struggling with the tension at matches are e-cigs.  They're legal everywhere and even if a facility bans them you can easily get away with using them because they don't emit smoke and with a bit of clever handling, especially if using a cartomiser e-cig (rather than the liquid ones, which are bigger), nobody has a clue.  As an e-cig user I can confirm this as I got away with using them in Wembley and Cardiff during the world cup. Both are facilities which ban the use of e-cigs.

I use e-cigs, and they're marvellous. Even my GP thinks so. That said, I was stood OUTSIDE at the Millennium Stadium for the World Cup and was approached by one of the stewards. "You're not going to believe what I'm about  to say..." said he, before pointing out that (even though I was OUTSIDE) I had to go even further OUTSIDE to the concourse.

Apparently they might "worry" some people (or a word to that effect) and make them think you're actually smoking; thus making loads of other people reach for the Embassy Number Ones.

This is how mental it's getting.

But I think the result of "second hand drinking" is more than second hand smoking. I reckon it causes far more problems than smoking ever will.

How does other people drinking affect you?

Drinking poisons the individual drinking; smoking poisons the smoker and the passive smokers in the vicinity.

Drinking to excess may cause bad behaviour the drinker, but only then might drinking affect others. One cigarette is all it takes to cause others bodily harm.

Give me 'annoyance' over tar in my lungs any day!