Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

smoking at stadiums

90 posts in this topic

Legally, the mark is more than 50% enclosed.  So, if a stand has no sidewalls, it's legal to smoke there.  If it has sidewalls, that's more than 50%, so you can't smoke there.

Clubs can, of course, increase the restrictions, but not reduce them.

If the facility allows smoking it isn't a non-smoking facility though is it?

I was talking about a none smoking facility, therefore it's a none smoking facility.

.  As an e-cig user I can confirm this as I got away with using them in Wembley and Cardiff during the world cup. Both are facilities which ban the use of e-cigs.

You must be very proud of yourself. What if somebody had accidentally dropped a glass bottle on your head in spite of them being banned from the stadium but they "got away" with smuggling it in?

Apparently they might "worry" some people (or a word to that effect) and make them think you're actually smoking; thus making loads of other people reach for the Embassy Number Ones.

This is how mental it's getting.

I don't think it's "mental", it's a very good point.

But I think the result of "second hand drinking" is more than second hand smoking. I reckon it causes far more problems than smoking ever will.

The second hand smoking I'm talking about is where people inhale smoke either directly from another person's cigarette or the smoke they exhale.

You don't see many drinkers gargle their alcohol then spray it out over everybody near them.

They should bring back the John Player Trophy and have them birds giving cigs away

correct.

I once copped for a blender. This lass came up to me in the car park and asked me what cigs I smoked. I told her John player and have me the blender. I was lying of course.

So:

number 1 - I can't see where it says that drinking alcohol, even under those guidelines, does not harm the body.

number 2 - doesn't mention harm nor the lack thereof

number 3 - a review for a book published in 1981. You can drink and stay healthy does not say that the alcohol does not cause harm - just that you can manage that harm to acceptable levels. Which is basically the message from the rest

In any case, none of those compare smoking to drinking and the harm caused by each. I would wager that the harm done to the body by one gasper isn't that much worse than one pint.

Smoking is a bit like sex the next best thing to doing it is watching someone else doing it

I think l'ang's point is that, unless a smoker stands about 50 yards from the nearest person, people will always be affected by any smoke produced directly or second hand passively from them. Unless they're a clumsy bleeder, you're not likely to get splashed by alcohol, even if somebody is drinking right next to you.

Like has already been mentioned, if you willingly attend a none smoking facility, you should be prepared to do without smoking for as long as you're on the premises of said facility.

I once saw a bloke take a child of around 18 months old into one of the traps at the KC stadium. You could see the smoke coming out over the top of said trap for the duration of his cigarette. He then emerged stinking of smoke, still carrying the child who, presumably, had to "enjoy" the smoke as well. I found this behaviour appalling and an utterly selfish act.

(and before anyone asks, I was suffering with a touch of food poisoning at the time and, rather desperately, needed to spend a little time on my own... :ph34r: )

your second para is important

what I'm really concerned about is the duality of values regarding the message clubs try to get across in their education and community schemes and what they find perfectly acceptable on match days.

So:

number 1 - I can't see where it says that drinking alcohol, even under those guidelines, does not harm the body.

number 2 - doesn't mention harm nor the lack thereof

number 3 - a review for a book published in 1981. You can drink and stay healthy does not say that the alcohol does not cause harm - just that you can manage that harm to acceptable levels. Which is basically the message from the rest

In any case, none of those compare smoking to drinking and the harm caused by each. I would wager that the harm done to the body by one gasper isn't that much worse than one pint.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/alcohol/art-20044551

if alcohol was banned at rugby league grounds I would be fine with it.

Can people live without a pint for a few hours,alcohol is hardly part of a healthy lifestyle.Yet that is sold at grounds.

The clubs make big profits from the bar sales.

They wouldnt make anything by allowing smoking.

Selective moralising methinks  ;) ??

The non-smoking fascists aren't happy enough that they have got smoking banned in a lot of public areas, they want the ban extended and they won't stop whining until they get what they want.

My club's stadium has a smoking area.... if a total ban on smoking was enforced they would lose me as a club supporter.

Our clubs just aren't organised enough on match days. You go somewhere like the Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane and they give pass outs onto an external concourse for smokers to go and indulge themselves away from the rest of the crowd. I've not seen anything similar in any RL stadium over here.

The Stoop used to do that as did the Millennium Stadium until they got all snooty.

I use e-cigs, and they're marvellous. Even my GP thinks so. That said, I was stood OUTSIDE at the Millennium Stadium for the World Cup and was approached by one of the stewards. "You're not going to believe what I'm about  to say..." said he, before pointing out that (even though I was OUTSIDE) I had to go even further OUTSIDE to the concourse.

Apparently they might "worry" some people (or a word to that effect) and make them think you're actually smoking; thus making loads of other people reach for the Embassy Number Ones.

This is how mental it's getting.

It's just stupid.  I used mine in the stadium when watching the games and nobody said a thing because nobody could tell.  I use them all over the place, regardless of whether the organisation has restricted them (and they're entitled to restrict pretty much anything on their own premises regardless of whether the thing they're restricting is legal or not).

It'll be interesting if the next government decide to follow through on turning e-cigs into medicine.  All those places that have given in to a few noisy know-nowts will have to about face as no organisation can refuse a person taking their medicine.

The non-smoking fascists aren't happy enough that they have got smoking banned in a lot of public areas, they want the ban extended and they won't stop whining until they get what they want.

My club's stadium has a smoking area.... if a total ban on smoking was enforced they would lose me as a club supporter.

if it's more important to you to poison yourself and those around you and stink to high heaven than watch a rugby league game then that's up to you.

Do you actually know what a fascist is?

It isn't even what the thread is about.

It's just stupid.  I used mine in the stadium when watching the games and nobody said a thing because nobody could tell.  I use them all over the place, regardless of whether the organisation has restricted them (and they're entitled to restrict pretty much anything on their own premises regardless of whether the thing they're restricting is legal or not).

It'll be interesting if the next government decide to follow through on turning e-cigs into medicine.  All those places that have given in to a few noisy know-nowts will have to about face as no organisation can refuse a person taking their medicine.

I agree SL. They don't stink and they only give out water vapour. My daughter has  quit smoking and now given up on e cigs. I'm very grateful on her behalf.

Maybe the smoking areas in grounds could be covered in anti smoking propaganda.

if it's more important to you to poison yourself and those around you and stink to high heaven than watch a rugby league game then that's up to you.

Alcohol, drugs, some food, botox ... geez, lots of things can be poisonous and you're quite right, human beings should be free to poison themselves if they choose to.  That's part of the freedom we should continue to have in this free country of ours.

As for causing people around to smell.  Well, if we're going to take that particularly dumb argument to its logical conclusion then we should be banning car exhausts (which of course also poison people), beer (nothing like coming home with clothes reeking of stale beer), fish (pooh!), cabbage (yuk!), all Chinese and Indian food, Widnes ...

Maybe the smoking areas in grounds could be covered in anti smoking propaganda.

As a former smoker I can inform you with certainty that not a single smoker would notice it.  The problem is that there has been way too much anti smoking propaganda in recent years.  The noise has been so loud that smokers are now deaf to it all. 

As a former smoker I can inform you with certainty that not a single smoker would notice it.  The problem is that there has been way too much anti smoking propaganda in recent years.  The noise has been so loud that smokers are now deaf to it all. 

I'm sure

but in the context of the thread it would be valid.

Well all I can say to this thread is where does it end, as an ex-smoker I don't mind if people want to smoke ,as for the argument it pollutes the air, where do most of you live out in the wilds, you've only to step out of your front door to see and sometimes smell the polluted air. What do you say to these companies that spew out their fumes or bus companies polluting the air with diesel fumes, and what do you say to the people that work in those industries and suffer with the aftermath of working in those industries.

Well all I can say to this thread is where does it end, as an ex-smoker I don't mind if people want to smoke ,as for the argument it pollutes the air, where do most of you live out in the wilds, you've only to step out of your front door to see and sometimes smell the polluted air. What do you say to these companies that spew out their fumes or bus companies polluting the air with diesel fumes, and what do you say to the people that work in those industries and suffer with the aftermath of working in those industries.

you miss the point entirely which is about the dichotomy of teaching healthy lifestyles in clubs' schools and community programmes and allowing smoking.

There are many anti pollution campaigns going on worldwide and locally.

But I would start by not allowing polluting industries and buses onto the terraces of rugby league grounds.. There are laws governing the working conditions of those who work in all forms of industry: suggest you google 'health and safety at work act'

The non-smoking fascists

Why destroy any credibility you may have had in this discussion by typing the above?

you miss the point entirely which is about the dichotomy of teaching healthy lifestyles in clubs' schools and community programmes and allowing smoking.

There are many anti pollution campaigns going on worldwide and locally.

But I would start by not allowing polluting industries and buses onto the terraces of rugby league grounds.. There are laws governing the working conditions of those who work in all forms of industry: suggest you google 'health and safety at work act'

As I said earlier - there doesn't have to be a dichotomy. Just as with booze, the odd gasper isn't going to permanently screw you up. The difference being, if you wake up and take a swig of vodka, go in to work lashed up and go and have four or five (or more) pints during the day, you're soon on the way to your P45. It isn't the same with smoking, so people are more prone to doing an awful lot of it.

I would hazard a guess (but I don't think any studies have been done on this - where would you get the funding!) that two or three smokes a week would have very little effect on the overall level of health of an adult.

Do you actually know what a fascist is?

It isn't even what the thread is about.

I choose to poison myself, it's not illegal. I enjoy a smoke and if it means I have to walk to a smoking area I'll walk to it. I also have ways of dealing with my nicotine craving when needed.

Smokers choose to poison themselves, as it not illegal, but the ant-smoking fascists won't be happy until smoking tobacco is made illegal...

Have you actually read the law with regards to smoking in public places... it makes quite interesting reading.

I choose to poison myself, it's not illegal. I enjoy a smoke and if it means I have to walk to a smoking area I'll walk to it. I also have ways of dealing with my nicotine craving when needed.

Smokers choose to poison themselves, as it not illegal, but the ant-smoking fascists won't be happy until smoking tobacco is made illegal...

Have you actually read the law with regards to smoking in public places... it makes quite interesting reading.

I fail to see where your man mysterioso's nationalism is coming to the fore in his dislike of people tabbing away on the terraces...

i aint a problem with people smoking so long as am not sat at side a them,their choice what they spend there hard earned cash on,i quit about 8 years ago on the national no smoking day as i spent a couple a days in leeds lgi after 2 heart attacks.best cure for smoking is looking at the screen as they fit stents and do other work on your pipeworks,and then a few days looking at the ceilings work a treat and i have never given a thought to cigs again, but to be fair all these folks who think the e cigs dont bother anybody around them are wrong, i sat in a crowd at owlerton for the racing and two folks nearby had one these e cigs that puff out steam with smoke vapours in, it smelt like cherry flavoured camel dung and it were been puffed on every few minutes rather than a cig every hour maybe. anyways someone did ask a steward to see the puffs a smoke and they ended up out on the terrace and everyone seemed happy after that. really gets me when i go to local hospital and folks are sat outside with drips up and in a bad way sat smoking in doorway.thats as bad as it gets for me.but their choice.