Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom Coates

Rams release Grayston

118 posts in this topic

On one hand, I am here to communicate the official line, but on the other hand, I am a fan of the club who merely volunteers to help them out - and as such I am entitled to my opinion.

And broadly speaking, my opinion is that a coach who has delivered what he has in the last two years, has attracted the players to the club that he has and has us higher in the league structure than we've been in 14 years should be supported.

Yes, we're not yet safe from relegation, but there are five teams relegated. If this was any other season when the bottom two / bottom one was relegated then we'd be easily safe. Only the top four in the division are safe at the moment, and that we are the best outside of that group currently is a great achievement.

Glenn clearly believes that in the interim there are better players in Jordan's position. By securing Ben Hellewell and Sam Wood for the rest of the season we'll probably have Pryce at full-back. As much as a lot of people love to hate him, Karl has played very well in recent weeks and has scored and created some vital tries.

Again, this is likely an interim solution. We are not a club that relies on dual-reg, but under the current circumstances the best short-term solution in our coach's opinion is to secure two high-pedigree players and allow a player down in the pecking order to leave the club.

Yes, Glenn "could have selected him", but he's the coach and he preferred to pick someone else. Again, he is the guy who watches the team train three times a week.

There are only 17 places to be filled each week and we employ a coach to fill those places. Unfortunately, being a member of Squadbuilder does not entitle you to a phone call every Sunday morning for a discussion about selection and tactics.

We've all seen Jordan play a handful of times. Yeah, he played well against Crusaders and he can take a great kick-off, but comparing him to Eddie Rombo....!? Come on!

Allowing Jordan to leave will let him put himself in the shop window and if he is good enough then I'm sure another Championship club will sign him up for 2015.

We are developing a reputation as a club that doesn't leave its players to vegetate on the sidelines. We have no second team and if a player is not being picked then Glenn has a difficult to decision to make. And he's choosing to let the player play! I'm sure he'd much prefer to keep them all at the club.

Seemingly, many of you would rather us keep him on board as 18th man every week. Who benefits from that?

And as for Darren Rogers (and any other player for that matter) - off you go then - you enlightened lot, what happened with him? I'd love to hear "the truth" as you all seem to know better. You might want to swap a few PMs beforehand to make sure your stories match up.

Evertrinatonian, Reg Gasnier - thanks for your support. It's a shame things didn't work out with Jordan, and we all wish him the best for the future.

Can't believe the negativity surrounding the release of Tonks and Grayston. Tonksy as been a good servant to the club but if any supporter would have had him as a regular in the second row/loose forward ahead of the current occupants then you need to start having a word with yourselves. Grayston looks like he has potential but can we afford to play potentials at this crucial part of the season and further more next season, when it will be a hell of a lot tougher. Obviously his potential hasn't been recognised by SL and he is going to Batley. It was never going to be easy this year and I have been well impressed with the way we have performed and that is down to GM and the decisions he has made. We have played 7 games so far this season against the teams above us and won 4 and who knows how we will fare at Fax. We are not going to be relegated and are progressing steadily both on and off the field. I would say there is only one coach in this division doing a better job than GM at the moment with the same limited budget as ours and that is Paul Cooke. There will be more players released before or at the end of this season, some of whom will be fans favourites, more players will be brought in, that has to happen otherwise the moaning will begin again when we get tubbed every week because we are fielding a team of favourites and potentials.  

Unfortunately, being a member of Squadbuilder does not entitle you to a phone call every Sunday morning for a discussion about selection and tactics.

That won't be an official club comment will it Tom?

Members of Squadbuilder donate money to the club without any strings or requirements other than the trust that their money will be put to good use. That is why some have been questioning their future contributions. To suggest otherwise is frankly juvenile.

On one hand, I am here to communicate the official line, but on the other hand, I am a fan of the club who merely volunteers to help them out - and as such I am entitled to my opinion.

And broadly speaking, my opinion is that a coach who has delivered what he has in the last two years, has attracted the players to the club that he has and has us higher in the league structure than we've been in 14 years should be supported.

Yes, we're not yet safe from relegation, but there are five teams relegated. If this was any other season when the bottom two / bottom one was relegated then we'd be easily safe. Only the top four in the division are safe at the moment, and that we are the best outside of that group currently is a great achievement.

Glenn clearly believes that in the interim there are better players in Jordan's position. By securing Ben Hellewell and Sam Wood for the rest of the season we'll probably have Pryce at full-back. As much as a lot of people love to hate him, Karl has played very well in recent weeks and has scored and created some vital tries.

Again, this is likely an interim solution. We are not a club that relies on dual-reg, but under the current circumstances the best short-term solution in our coach's opinion is to secure two high-pedigree players and allow a player down in the pecking order to leave the club.

Yes, Glenn "could have selected him", but he's the coach and he preferred to pick someone else. Again, he is the guy who watches the team train three times a week.

There are only 17 places to be filled each week and we employ a coach to fill those places. Unfortunately, being a member of Squadbuilder does not entitle you to a phone call every Sunday morning for a discussion about selection and tactics.

We've all seen Jordan play a handful of times. Yeah, he played well against Crusaders and he can take a great kick-off, but comparing him to Eddie Rombo....!? Come on!

Allowing Jordan to leave will let him put himself in the shop window and if he is good enough then I'm sure another Championship club will sign him up for 2015.

We are developing a reputation as a club that doesn't leave its players to vegetate on the sidelines. We have no second team and if a player is not being picked then Glenn has a difficult to decision to make. And he's choosing to let the player play! I'm sure he'd much prefer to keep them all at the club.

Seemingly, many of you would rather us keep him on board as 18th man every week. Who benefits from that?

And as for Darren Rogers (and any other player for that matter) - off you go then - you enlightened lot, what happened with him? I'd love to hear "the truth" as you all seem to know better. You might want to swap a few PMs beforehand to make sure your stories match up.

Evertrinatonian, Reg Gasnier - thanks for your support. It's a shame things didn't work out with Jordan, and we all wish him the best for the future.

I wasn't comparing Grayston to Eddie Rombo, I was just clearly stating how disappointed I was!

Well that's us done a few of us have decided we won,t be purchasing season tickets next season.

To let Tonksy and Grayston go now is ridiculous

I personally spoke to someone who knows Tonks and that lad asked months ago to be let go so he could

Join another club and play regular rugby he was approached by other championship clubs

But GM wouldnt allow it he,s been messed about all season until yesterday when they ageed to let him go but only to York not to a championship club - to put these restrictions on a young promising player is

Appalling- young players up and coming held back what are we doing Dewsbury?

People comment on the Warren Jowitt era but if he would have had the finances and backing that GM has had

Makes me wonder what could have been achieved

Seems to me GM has the gift of the gab and people are falling for it

Not impressed!

so because you don't agree with what's happend you're taking you're bat and ball home? No offence but this as nothing to do with mark sawyer and the board who need every supporter we can get!

Can't believe the negativity surrounding the release of Tonks and Grayston. Tonksy as been a good servant to the club but if any supporter would have had him as a regular in the second row/loose forward ahead of the current occupants then you need to start having a word with yourselves. Grayston looks like he has potential but can we afford to play potentials at this crucial part of the season and further more next season, when it will be a hell of a lot tougher. Obviously his potential hasn't been recognised by SL and he is going to Batley. It was never going to be easy this year and I have been well impressed with the way we have performed and that is down to GM and the decisions he has made. We have played 7 games so far this season against the teams above us and won 4 and who knows how we will fare at Fax. We are not going to be relegated and are progressing steadily both on and off the field. I would say there is only one coach in this division doing a better job than GM at the moment with the same limited budget as ours and that is Paul Cooke. There will be more players released before or at the end of this season, some of whom will be fans favourites, more players will be brought in, that has to happen otherwise the moaning will begin again when we get tubbed every week because we are fielding a team of favourites and potentials.

agree mate. If we had a 2nd team then Robinson Grayston and tonks would still be here, likewise sheriff Muranka and Farrell wouldn't of been shipped out. Lay off Glenn for this, he's only doing what he thinks best and you don't know who's joining us next season! He's not stupid, if Grayston was the next big thing which some of you think he is after 3 games with us then he's of never let him go! Judge glenn by this season and recruitment next season before you consider jacking buying season tickets in, I think some of you may be suprised next season. We have to inprove if we are to compete! . Players come and go all time at every club and fans at every club don't always see or understand why, it's called sport! Sad is to think fans are considering jacking us in because a player is leaving the club

That won't be an official club comment will it Tom?

Members of Squadbuilder donate money to the club without any strings or requirements other than the trust that their money will be put to good use. That is why some have been questioning their future contributions. To suggest otherwise is frankly juvenile.

No, it isn't. These are my comments.

Do you think Squadbuilder members and season ticket holders should have a say in who we sign and who we release?

I wasn't comparing Grayston to Eddie Rombo, I was just clearly stating how disappointed I was!

...and you're as disappointed about losing Grayston as you were about Rombo?

...and you're as disappointed about losing Grayston as you were about Rombo?

I never said that

Grayston pretty reasonable player (no world beater). Obviously Morrison didnt fancy him, just like he didnt fancy Lillycrop or Robinson. He must think we have better players at the club and can recruit better over the longer term and doesn't want them sat on the sidelines not playing/earning what up with that?

Some fans need to get a grip

No, it isn't. These are my comments.

Do you think Squadbuilder members and season ticket holders should have a say in who we sign and who we release?

Of course I don't, and that is my point - your suggestion otherwise is just this side of insulting. It's a shame that I need to spell this out.

We make our donations in good faith; if there came a point where that good faith wasn't justified then we would reconsider how we donate. Is that clear enough?

Cheap and lazy comment.

Cheap and lazy it may be, but there is a lot of truth in the statement.

Lillycrop and Robinson were no were near as good as players in the there current places made sense to let them go with having no second team in place.

Of course I don't, and that is my point - your suggestion otherwise is just this side of insulting. It's a shame that I need to spell this out.

We make our donations in good faith; if there came a point where that good faith wasn't justified then we would reconsider how we donate. Is that clear enough?

But then what does it take for your faith to be justified? I really don't know where you're going with this.

I have played rugby both codes in fact, have you?

only at junior level, that's why I let the coach pick the team and don't moan.

Glen knows far more about rugby than I do.

By and large I agree with most of your post tom, but why the rush to get rid of JG when Johnny Schofield has been at the club for the whole of Glenn's tenure without getting a sniff of a meaningful game - I've never even seen him carrying the water and yet he is occupying a squad place. You could argue that he is halfback cover, but I rather think a loanee would be brought in before he was selected don't you. I think it's the apparently random and arbitrary way in which players fall in and out of favour that puzzles and dismays  many of us.

Couldn't agree more. Don't believe the myth that 40+ years of watching our game amounts to nothing!

IMHO 40+ years of watching our game does not come anywhere near to 10 year playing, at any level.

Like it or not these players have moved on now and so must the club and fans. Jordan is on twitter so those who want to wish him well send him a tweet and thank him for his time and effort like some of us already have.

No player is bigger than the club, this is a really important time for the club we really should all just get behind the team and help them over the line to stay in this division for next season. The new league structure for next season will make the league we are in now something we all want to see us in so whichever players give us the best chance of achieving that should be the ones wearing the shirts on match day.

Put your love of the club before your personal opinions and lets all help ensure we start next season in the league we all want to be in.

IMHO 40+ years of watching our game does not come anywhere near to 10 year playing, at any level.

And 10 years as a player doesn't make a good coach either

And 10 years as a player doesn't make a good coach either

Back to my original point, they usually make better coaches than people who have only watched the game for 40+ years.

If any fan on here thinks they can do a better job then Glenn they are deluded! Nobody sees what goes off in training. For example jon schofield who some on here rate better than tom Hemingway as been working away a lot this year, often having to make long haul trips to Australia.. It's obvious a new fullback will be here next season so wait and see who it is, you may all be suprised!

Final word on the grayston subject from me tom thanks for mentioning he had a decent game against crusaders but you can't have been at the Halifax game where he got mom in rugby papers a 9out of 10 rating and described in the write up as impressive wouldn't mention but felt I had to defend him against your flippant decent game against crusaders remark I know being a good goal kicker dosent make you a good player but its a good addition to any other skills you've got and didn't he kick 7 from 7 that day

Back to my original point, they usually make better coaches than people who have only watched the game for 40+ years.

Jeff Grayshon, Nigel Stephenson...................

But then what does it take for your faith to be justified? I really don't know where you're going with this.

Deary me, your political career beckons Tom. Refuse to face the point that you have made disparaging, even insulting remarks about people who voluntarily make a small cash contribution to the club every month then try to turn it around to being their own fault for not clearly defining what they want. No doubt it would be easier in your eyes if we all simply coughed up and toed the line? There are no whips on the South Stand yet!

If any fan on here thinks they can do a better job then Glenn they are deluded! Nobody sees what goes off in training. For example jon schofield who some on here rate better than tom Hemingway as been working away a lot this year, often having to make long haul trips to Australia.. It's obvious a new fullback will be here next season so wait and see who it is, you may all be suprised!

oooh - an invitation to have a go on the speculometer. Well Paul Sykes is only contracted until 2014 at wakey, and he has spent most of his career at fullback..... and he'd do nicely ;) Apologies to those among you who hate speculators - I have not actually heard ANYTHING, but it would make sense.