Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

Voluntary tackles

24 posts in this topic

We hear people saying that a player has committed a voluntary tackle

But surely the only way a tackle can be voluntary is when a player goes to ground with nobody touching him then gets up and plays the ball

As soon as an opposition player lays a finger on him/ her then the ball carrier is allowed to surrender

People often confuse voluntary tackles with surrendering.

Like you say, it's only a voluntary tackle if they play the ball without anyone completing the tackle.

A voluntary tackle is when you go to ground and the ref calls play on and you don't get up.

Voluntary tackle 4.

A player in possession shall not deliberately and unnecessarily allow himself to be tackled by voluntarily falling to the ground when not held by an opponent. If a player drops on a loose ball he shall not remain on the ground waiting to be tackled if he has time to regain his feet and continue play.

And that is why there is confusion, as that is not how its applied.

The clearest example I ever saw was Joynt in the GF v Bulls.  He took possession with Jimmy Lowes stood next to him, Lowes scrupulously avoided touching him, but Joynt went down. Voluntary tackle, but no penalty.  Was it Russell Smith?  Can't remember,  But the Bulls were on the wrong end of some lousy decisions that day.

Voluntary tackle 4.

A player in possession shall not deliberately and unnecessarily allow himself to be tackled by voluntarily falling to the ground when not held by an opponent. If a player drops on a loose ball he shall not remain on the ground waiting to be tackled if he has time to regain his feet and continue play.

which they do, voluntary tackle, nothing to do with the play the ball. God it annoys me so much! It looks almost as cowardly and pathetic as the footballer who feigns injury.

Only ever seen one given in over 40 years of watching: circa1990, a winter's Wednesday night at Watershedings, Oldham v Feath, against David Hobbs who dropped on a loose ball but didn't try to get up but waited to be tackled just as the description in BSJ's post above.

The clearest example I ever saw was Joynt in the GF v Bulls. He took possession with Jimmy Lowes stood next to him, Lowes scrupulously avoided touching him, but Joynt went down. Voluntary tackle, but no penalty. Was it Russell Smith? Can't remember, But the Bulls were on the wrong end of some lousy decisions that day.

Yeah, ref bottled the decision that day.

Any referee alive would have eschewed penalising the godlike figure of Chris Joynt when faced with the snarling pantomime villain of Jimmy Lowes. Never a penalty:)

The clearest example I ever saw was Joynt in the GF v Bulls.  He took possession with Jimmy Lowes stood next to him, Lowes scrupulously avoided touching him, but Joynt went down. Voluntary tackle, but no penalty.  Was it Russell Smith?  Can't remember,  But the Bulls were on the wrong end of some lousy decisions that day.

I didn't have a problem with that one myself :biggrin:

shall we start another thread called joynts voluntary tackle?? the last one went on for about 10 years

Voluntary tackles are an archaic remnant of unlimited tackle rugby.

Except the Ref shouted play-on so Joint started crawling forward until a Bull player touched him. Tackle then complete

so no opposition player laid a finger on Joynt? What did he do after he went down?

Voluntary tackles are an archaic remnant of unlimited tackle rugby.

So you endorse a player throwing himself to the floor when actually he is cheating the opposition, before I am castigated for that statement if you watched the Hull v Cas game you will have witnessed young Shoal fielding a ball very close to his goal line, it was a very good chase by the Cas players but they were denied tackling him and forcing him over the goal line to effect a drop out has he "vlounterially" went to ground.

I suppose we should congratulate him for realising that referees are either ignorant of the rule or don't have the bottle to endorse it.

I seem to remember in the days of winter rugby you'd often see a slightly built full-back catch the ball after a 5th tackle kick, run it in a good 30m or so before "slipping" over just as they approached the opposition defensive line, presumably to avoid getting pummelled......I always thought that was a voluntary tackles of sorts though you don't see so much of it these days

So you endorse a player throwing himself to the floor when actually he is cheating the opposition, before I am castigated for that statement if you watched the Hull v Cas game you will have witnessed young Shoal fielding a ball very close to his goal line, it was a very good chase by the Cas players but they were denied tackling him and forcing him over the goal line to effect a drop out has he "vounterally" went to ground.

I suppose we should congratulate him for realising that referees are either ignorant of the rule or don't have the bottle to endorse it.

Well, if you wish, I suppose.

Well, if you wish, I suppose.

Well that was a very logical response to a valid statement, can't say that I expected anything other than that.

So you endorse a player throwing himself to the floor when actually he is cheating the opposition, before I am castigated for that statement if you watched the Hull v Cas game you will have witnessed young Shoal fielding a ball very close to his goal line, it was a very good chase by the Cas players but they were denied tackling him and forcing him over the goal line to effect a drop out has he "vlounterially" went to ground.

Spot on - that for me was the perfect example of a voluntary tackle not penalised.

Rangi got done season before last I think.

Ball was dropped by opposition and Rangi pounced on it, never got tackled as opposition stayed clear and he got up and played the ball

I seem to remember in the days of winter rugby you'd often see a slightly built full-back catch the ball after a 5th tackle kick, run it in a good 30m or so before "slipping" over just as they approached the opposition defensive line, presumably to avoid getting pummelled......I always thought that was a voluntary tackles of sorts though you don't see so much of it these days

The ones you see today tend to be close to the lines where players in possession dive down at, or close to, the [would be] tacklers legs, either to avoid being pushed into touch or to get over the goal line and avoid conceding a drop out. They may not be the 'classics' but the player in pssession is choosing, in his best interests, where he wants the ref to call "held" and where the play stops, so it's about as voluntary as it gets, to be honest. Strangely, these people are congratualted on TV for their 'brilliant' play, by Stevo et al.

To my mind it's down to the tacklers to hold off and not touch the player going to ground - If they stopped and stood clear then it would be more blatant and easy to spot!

Soon as they lay a hand on then the tackles complete (despite what the rules may state!)

Well that was a very logical response to a valid statement, can't say that I expected anything other than that.

The point I was making is that, if we'd had six tackle rugby back in the day whenever the voluntary tackle rule was invented, we wouldn't have had a voluntary tackle rule.  People would have just seen it as wasting a tackle out of the set of six.

The point I was making is that, if we'd had six tackle rugby back in the day whenever the voluntary tackle rule was invented, we wouldn't have had a voluntary tackle rule.  People would have just seen it as wasting a tackle out of the set of six.

Except when it prevents conceding a drop out or being forced into touch..