Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mumby Magic

Catalans Rumour

268 posts in this topic

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously but there is a rumour - and I emphasise rumour - that Catalans are considering withdrawing from SL. They don't feel that they have enough support from the RFL and their travelling costs are spiralling. Anyone heard owt?

Can't see it happening, it'd essentially be the death of the club and ten steps backward for French RL.

and a massive step backward for super league and rugby league in general, should it be the case. Let's see now, who would replace them…

Chinese whispers

They are a success and thriving.

They don't feel that they have enough support from the RFL and their travelling costs are spiralling. Anyone heard owt?

On the economical paper, we are fine. 

But yes, some say the RFL doesn't want us in. The relegation/promotion thing is really bad to us, we could never survive in SL 2.

On the other hand, we just put on an academy team so we're not even considering withdrawing. Being right here in the best thing we could hope for. Without this, no Casty in NRL, Pelissier and Escaré would still be in the little French championship or to Union. 

We all know of those who would be happy to see this.

In reality there is too much money sloshing around down there for this to happen

The average attendance may have dropped in the recent past,but I cant see Mr Guasch overseeing this.

Its imperative Catalan remain in Super League for me.

As stated above we need the French to move forward and suspect the Juffret family whether that be in Super

League at Catalan or in the lower tier at Avignon, and others will ensure that happens.  

O yes I have an agenda.............. :tongue:

No I'm glad that it's the rumour mill in full swing rather than having any substance.

The RFL subsidise their travel costs so I doubt thats a reason.

no wonder this once great sport of ours is a laughing stock and a joke. Heartlands clubs sold down the river.

scandalous and unfair

no wonder this once great sport of ours is a laughing stock and a joke. Heartlands clubs sold down the river.

scandalous and unfair

A slight over reaction to the Toppy's post I think

A slight over reaction to the Toppy's post I think

a slight whoooooooosh I think ;)

scandalous and unfair

But is it a farce? ;)

I can't see the rumour being true. 

But is it a farce? ;)

I can't see the rumour being true. 

a farce all right. I blame Lyndsay, or is it Lewis, or maybe Wood. They make you sick. 

I can't see it myself either. The Dragons in SL mean a lot to the local economy in Perpignan, and if you've been you'll know what they mean to the life of the place. If Toulouse were in as well, it would be marvellous, but I can't se that happening myself.

Chinese whispers

They are a success and thriving.

can't say I've heard of them but glad to see the expansion into Asia paying dividends.....presumably they play in red?

I blame Bill Fallowfield.

nowt wrong with Mr Fallowfield

he were from traditional times when rugby league were rugby league and he wore a blazer

no way this would happen. You should have just laughed in the face of whoever told you the rumour.

As for Catalans not being able to hack SL2 and it being a disaster etc etc - they'd play 23 games in SL1, if they have a bad season then they have a whopping SEVEN games in the middle eight - playing maybe 2 non full time pro clubs in that time. How is that going to be catastrophic?

Unless, of course, they then do so badly they get relegated but with their financing that's not going to happen is it? The whole argument seems to be that if the Catalans play so badly they dont get in the top 8 and then completely implode and dont get in the promotion/relegation top four then the RFL are out to destroy them.

Much ado about nothing

a slight whoooooooosh I think ;)

Not at all, I had picked up on the "irony"

Just not convinced the original post merited the reply.

Unless Toppy was being ironic also, and we're all stuck in one big irony loop, where no one knows if anyone on the board is being sincere or not.

Probably the case..maybe

Not at all, I had picked up on the "irony"

Just not convinced the original post merited the reply.

Unless Toppy was being ironic also, and we're all stuck in one big irony loop, where no one knows if anyone on the board is being sincere or not.

Probably the case..maybe

fair enough old lad

Any chance that this rumour circulates most strongly around Bradford ?

I have maintained all along that the RFL wanted the Broncos and the Catalans out of Super League. That in my opinion was why they brought in the 2 team relegation in the hope the Broncos and the Catalans finished in the bottom 2. They got half their wish. The RFL would love Super League to become a M62 corridor competition.

Is it little wonder that we get less print inches in the national papers than we did 15 years with such insular thinking.

I have maintained all along that the RFL wanted the Broncos and the Catalans out of Super League. That in my opinion was why they brought in the 2 team relegation in the hope the Broncos and the Catalans finished in the bottom 2. They got half their wish. The RFL would love Super League to become a M62 corridor competition.

Is it little wonder that we get less print inches in the national papers than we did 15 years with such insular thinking.

mate that's some conspiracy theory

London being a bag o shy te notwithstanding, and the Bulls being in a mess as well, we now have structure that will do just that under the right circumstances. Way to go eh?

edit: let's go back to winter and unlimited tackles while we're at it. Pass the rusty corrugated iron.

I spoke to Blake Solly on friday and he's said "they're probably the competition's second biggest team", USAP gone down, if anything it's time for the Dragons to kick on and move on up. Unlikely. Apprently Bernard Guasch was hysterical with happiness when USAP went down. Furthermore if they withdrew, they'd just end up spanking everybody else in the French comp and lose all their top talent to SL. 

mate that's some conspiracy theory

London being a bag o shy te notwithstanding, and the Bulls being in a mess as well, we now have structure that will do just that under the right circumstances. Way to go eh?

edit: let's go back to winter and unlimited tackles while we're at it. Pass the rusty corrugated iron.

Only time well tell Chris. I think unfortunatley in the long term i will be shown to be right.

Only time well tell Chris. I think unfortunatley in the long term i will be shown to be right.

No doubt about it. In the year 2525 will we still be alive?

Btw. If Bradford can't make a go of it this time, well, that's their fault and they will have to live with the consequences.