Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RogerT

Today v Leigh

92 posts in this topic

Let's be fair at the start of the season 5 points out of these 4 matches is a fair return in my opinion.

The referee was dire, totally out of his depth, shouldn't have been given this game and I thought lost control of the game from the start. I know they've got to start somewhere but..

Yes we probably were never going to win today but had we gatherd the KO after our try and the Greenwood try been given from the kick (of which rowley said it was a clear try straight after the game) we may have kicked on to get a BP.

One eyed jacks the lot of you. The ref mind you was shocking for BOTH sides. Hiw many Batley fans were there today. If crowd was 976 as published I'll go with 400 Batley fans

So are you saying that a team planning for Super League can only take 500 fans to an away match?

Not much of an advert for joining Super Duper League.

Yes we do not get the support perhaps we deserve but no championship side can brag about there average attendances. 

Result could have been a lot different if things had gone are way,yes the ref didn't help was sort of his fault he missed blatant forward passes which resulted in tries,missed dirty play

DemonUK all one eyed jacks so your saying that it's ok for a Leigh played to punch a batley player who just tackled and was standing up got a punch,also you think Barlow was ok to try throw his weight about and the sending off of our player yet it was leigh players starting fights,every big hit batley put in was ruled to be illegal because players whinging

I totally agree ref was shocking for us, Leigh, today and totally lost it later on

With a quality ref allowing the game to be played at pace you would have lost by 50+ today even accounting for us resting our two best props for Friday in Wilkes and Spencer

I'm a newcomer to watching the bulldogs my views are what I saw today if you've to revert to playing a slow back rower at stand off your in trouble Davies is a tryer with ball handling skills but at this level his skills are far too slow for a number six both wingers have plenty of heart but positionally were caught out plenty but in my opinion were left this way by hopeless communication from the centres ,leather barrows defence is woeful and though hard working is never going to worry defences like Leigh and I thought his open field kicking left a lot to be desired ,last week I praised the fullback for a faultless display ,but in my honest opinion all though his bravery is not in doubt the way ridyard caught him out time and again with his kicking game told me he's not the top man that some on here claim can't knock tha pack ,I thought they matched a pretty aggressive Leigh set. One thing a bought Leigh think having seen them a couple of times this season they employ a lot of gamesmanship which irritates opposition fans and one particular nasty part to their game today was when ackton was sin binned for a cannonball tackle their chap upstairs with the walky talky came down to say well done Jamie how can you praise a player for breaking the rules

I don't think with a better ref you would have beaten us more comfortably,a better ref would have seen the dirty play for what it was and taken better control,if he had sin binned your player like he should have done before the fighting started

Not saying was a great performance,but could have gone different with certain decisions a decent ref would have been good,yes we all know Davies not the natural 6 but he put his hand up,one game doesn't make you a bad player hes best full back in this division by a mile

I really hope that Kear can produce one of his famous 'miracle' recoveries (a la Wakefield) for you guys. It is inconceivable that you could go down after the past few consistently good seasons, although I was concerned for you during the close season, when you offloaded so many good players. To have one bad season, after so many good ones, shouldn't be 'rewarded' with relegation. Five down, in a 14 team league, is a farce.

As for today, well I too thought the ref appeared out of his depth, at times, although, for me, he didn't particularly favour Leigh. Once again, we were 'pinged' (rightly) for about five forward passes. How many were Batley pulled up for? I can't remember a single one.

Anyway, that's the game - we all think the ref favours the other side!

Back to my main point - I really hope you do pull it off and that we can meet again next season. I love coming to the Mount and, usually, our games are always close.

Good luck for the rest of this season.

Hope you lot can hold on and avoid the drop, always enjoyed our visits to your ground and the banter with your fans. Good luck for your remaining games.

Wasnt expecting a win so not too downhearted, but am pretty fearful of our chances of staying up with only one half back and looks like Paterson will be spending the next 5 games suspended if what he said to get himself sent off is true.

Leigh were a big physical side and we tried hard but ultimately arent good enough.

Didn't go today and can't wait to watch the game on LCTV so I can comment. Two things I want say are that we absolutely struggled when we didn't have Riddy or Ryan in our team just like you are without Ben. Second I would like to see any secondary tackles from just above the kidneys down to the ankles on a static player banned. When a player is held up he is vulnerable and defenceless. If he is moving then a defending player sliding down from waist to ankles in a secondary without a severe impact is ok. Good luck Dogs.

Heard Sheffield are being investigated over their registration of Uaisele last weekend

Aston should of kept his gob shut

Dave Larder has diminished these rumours by stating the Uaisale signing was confirmed and approved by the RFL before the deadline. So all in all, Aston shouldn't have kept his gob shut. As you were..

One question why go back to a 2nd rower at stand off it didnt't earlier at in season come on john play jordy at 6

I would say that turning round a 52-6 tonking to a long awaited victory (Fairbank permitting!) over Eagles shows how good a coach Kear is anyway. He can only go with what he has or what he is now allowed. Recruitment last year didn't come up to scratch, but I think pessimism has set in too much if we think that dropping down a division spells the end, as I think we'd be straight back anyway, fans will be there whichever division.

A pretty dispiriting day for me. Our support must have been less than 500. This d/r farce and the expected points deduction must have played a part in this. If we are not guilty, surely Fairbank would have played? Realising that without Ben Black we are not gonna trouble the scorers too much. And could the other results (barring a dewsbury win) have gone any worse?

Leigh were far better, but confidence and results just breed flair and creativity, and their 6 and 7 looked a class apart with so much time to pick their passes or kick.

Need I say, next week is the must win match of the year. With Blacky, we could have won all 4 matches, I just can't see it now. But in my time, the Bulldog spirit has never failed to show!

I would say that turning round a 52-6 tonking to a long awaited victory (Fairbank permitting!) over Eagles shows how good a coach Kear is anyway. He can only go with what he has or what he is now allowed. Recruitment last year didn't come up to scratch, but I think pessimism has set in too much if we think that dropping down a division spells the end, as I think we'd be straight back anyway, fans will be there whichever division.

No guarantee whatsoever that we'd come straight back up. We'd lose virtually all our players if we went down, and more than likely have to find a new coach. How can you say that we'd come straight back with the likes of Rochdale, Barrow, Crusaders, Hunslet (probably) also down there? In addition, Newcastle RUFC are set to pump money into Gateshead.

I remember various fans foolishly speculating at the end of the 1996 season that we'd 'go straight back' up when we were relegated from the second division. It didn't happen though, despite there being an abundance of experience, class and quality within our squad.

As for fans 'always being there', you're being terribly naive again. I know many fans (many of them long-term fans) who have become so disillusioned by the goings-on this season that they would almost certainly give up the ghost if we are relegated. The club's spectacular failure to build on our success last season - at any level, forms a huge part of their disenchantment.

AlanE yes your right see it from different point of view,but he missed decisions that stopped us getting back in,maybe it was equal on penalty count,but saying he missed batley forward passes maybe he did,but at least 2 of your tries was from a forward pass,not saying Leigh's didn't play well they did,but you can understand frustrations when he was so one sides maybe in my eyes,where I was sat I saw lots of things the linesman saw or didn't bother calling

Mark, I can understand your frustration, but I believe he was just as bad for both teams. One thing I do agree on is that he wasn't up to the job. (in my opinion) Also, when you are on a roll, like Leigh are this season, decisions do tend to go in your favour.

I really hope you guys can pull it around in the remaining four games. Good luck.

Alan,yes perhaps he was as bad for both teams,the thing that stands out is yes he not up to the job,these are massive games we are playing now,needed a better ref

Yes think that's true with the roll leigh on decisions go more in your favour whether right or wrong yes hopefully can turn it around thanks enjoy rest of your season

I wish people would stop blaming the referee for our shortcomings. He was the same for both sides maybe one or two could have gone either way but we lost because our squad is not up to it, we have no cover in the halves and we saw when Black missed earlier games that in attack we often slipped into the one pass one drive rugby that got us nowhere. Davis is a tryer and a good player but he is no stand off  Now also we have the stupidity of Patterson who has probably put himself out of the remaining four games. We are running out of bodies. Yesterday Leigh were by far the better team Ridyard was top drawer at 6 for them . Hope Mr Kear has something up his sleeve for the Whitehaven match because if they beat us we are down. They are scoring points with 2 freescoring wingers  and yesterday we were totally exposed on the fringes. Things not looking good for survival  at the moment.

The referee was poor, don't know how much experience he has but he seemed a little overawed with the occasion to me.  However there is no way that he had any bearing on the result IMO.  Leigh individually were, again IMO, better players all round the park to ours and add in the belief and confidence that their results to date have given them, justifiably meant that we were second best.

On the subject of numbers, why are Brennan and Leary still out on loan? surely their initial month must be over and they can be recalled at a weeks notice?

I wish people would stop blaming the referee for our shortcomings.

I don't blame him for the result or our performance. However I think he should shoulder some responsibility for allowing the game to descend into a farce with punch-ups, melees, back-chat and gamesmanship a-plenty. And a couple of cards.

It's not a coincidence that Leigh have the worst disciplinary record in the division. It's not the first time a Leigh game has been littered with the above. Or the second. Leigh obviously need a strong referee to keep their questionable tactics under control. He failed.

Batley, before yesterday, had the best disciplinary record in the division.

The referee was poor, don't know how much experience he has but he seemed a little overawed with the occasion to me.  However there is no way that he had any bearing on the result IMO.  Leigh individually were, again IMO, better players all round the park to ours and add in the belief and confidence that their results to date have given them, justifiably meant that we were second best.

On the subject of numbers, why are Brennan and Leary still out on loan? surely their initial month must be over and they can be recalled at a weeks notice?

thought brennon had a 4 match ban? i really think were going to struggle now without ben, the haven game was one we should/could/still must win,but with a few players with knocks, all the talk of whos going were dont help us, will we have griffin or brownie or even hirst back we dont know, we had all the talk of 9 or 10 points from the last few games but its looking like 6 at best and that wont be enough.

p.s ???whos the mod who deleted the post around 11.15 telling us who had signed for other clubs for 2015.

No surprise to see a bit of biff when Leigh are playing in a game. Refs do seem very lenient of their bully boy tactics.

On another note just out of interest how has Miles Greenwood played for you guys this season? Seems strange him coming back to Fax to replace the guy who replaced him.

No surprise to see a bit of biff when Leigh are playing in a game. Refs do seem very lenient of their bully boy tactics.

On another note just out of interest how has Miles Greenwood played for you guys this season? Seems strange him coming back to Fax to replace the guy who replaced him.

thats a big loss for us if true, makes great yards everytime,and anyone who straps up a broken thumb and gets under them high bombs and takes them all will do for me. one of our best players all day long,