Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rhodders

RLWC 2017 Qualification

78 posts in this topic

^ FFS, really? I thought we'd got past this bush league nonsense.

I also heard that they were planning to host qualifiers mid-season, which would be a disaster.

Exactly. It's not a standardised organised qualifying tournament then. It's relying on "ifs" of other nations to determine a make up later on. It's what kids do in the playground!

The latter I've also heard, with the logic that it's to appease the nations who have stronger set ups and not rely on NRL/SL players. To me, that's rubbish. You should be able to play your strongest possible side available, not a residents side.

2 steps forward, 3 steps back.

Exactly. It's not a standardised organised qualifying tournament then. It's relying on "ifs" of other nations to determine a make up later on. It's what kids do in the playground!

The latter I've also heard, with the logic that it's to appease the nations who have stronger set ups and not rely on NRL/SL players. To me, that's rubbish. You should be able to play your strongest possible side available, not a residents side.

2 steps forward, 3 steps back.

No it isn't. How much longer is the 'international' game going to to be a parade of Aussies with grannies from that country? What's the point of developing the sport in the country if you can just name a team of 17 NRL players all the time?

No it isn't. How much longer is the 'international' game going to to be a parade of Aussies with grannies from that country? What's the point of developing the sport in the country if you can just name a team of 17 NRL players all the time?

Then they should change the rules of the international section criteria, not conspire to get around selecting eligible players. It devalues the game by essentially making those nations 'A' teams. How does that grow the attraction?