Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rhodders

RLWC 2017 Qualification

78 posts in this topic

Which teams below them could field a tem of indigenous players that have come through the local youth system that would beat France?

Wales and PNG.

PNG, yes if it is in PNG. Wales not yet with locally trained players

I find it very odd that PNG - the ONE country in the world where RL is the national sport – have to qualify, whereas Scotland - with, what, 4 teams in the entire country? - get an automatic spot. (And this is NOT an attack on Scotland RL).

Also, I find it very odd that out of PNG, Tonga and the Cook Islands - 3 relatively strong RL countries - only 2 will qualify.

USA situation is explained here: http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/rugby/rugby-scotland-awarded-world-cup-place.1407058274? They shouldn't really have been in the last WC and the fact that the RLIF are finally getting their act together regarding this situation is long overdue, and TBH a step forward for the sport if anything

I mean it seems pretty ridiculous to suggest that 7 nations have been granted automatic qualification, that they happen to be 7 of the 8 quarter finalists from the last event and that the two aren't somehow linked.

It does, you're right. But without any explanation as to why all eight weren't automatic, then it doesn't really got together properly.

That Scottish report explains in a lot more detail than the official press report. Had that been the official one, it would have been a lot better!

I understand what you're saying about knowing this beforehand but it's not like the spurious logic from last time when Cook Islands were included because they were 2009 Pacific Cup runners up, every team was looking to progress and fielded their strongest sides in the WC so it really isn't a big issue. If it was up to me, only the semi-finalists would qualify automatically but we aren't at that stage yet.

I'd prefer the semi finalists at the very most also. More meaningful internationals in the mean time then to get more qualifiers.

I find it very odd that PNG - the ONE country in the world where RL is the national sport – have to qualify, whereas Scotland - with, what, 4 teams in the entire country? - get an automatic spot. (And this is NOT an attack on Scotland RL).

Also, I find it very odd that out of PNG, Tonga and the Cook Islands - 3 relatively strong RL countries - only 2 will qualify.

Why do you find it odd when the reasoning is quite obvious? And why do you think it's a bad thing that we now have a fair system and certain nations are not simply being handed a place at the sport's showpiece event?

That post represents a typical backwards, disorganized RL mentality TBH. "People from PNG like RL, get them in. Oh, Tonga have some good players, throw them in there too". No, that's not how international sport works. Shedding this parochial, shambolic approach is a major step forwards for international RL.

In terms of full members qualifying groups are:

Europe: Wales, Ireland, Russia, Ukraine, Serbia

Americas: Jamaica

Asia-Pacific: PNG, Tonga, Cook Islands

Middle East-Africa: Lebanon, South Africa

Looking at that though I imagine they'll bring USA and Italy in. Otherwise Jamaica would be invited having never played before in the finals and the 3rd European qualifier would ship 100 points a game whilst a much stronger Cook Islands sits it out

No France?

EDIT: Ignore me, I misremembered the list!

france ahead of the usa they are extracting the urine in the past wo tournaments france have won 1 game 

And if the US were members of the RLIF, they would be in it too

I'd agree with this if they came out and said it! They really need to address the USA situation. This would have been a perfect time to say "you've got to sort your problems out, this is a consequence for the mess you're in."

But if we are to have any credibility, automatic qualification needs to be arranged before we know the teams, not after. "These teams in the quarters are alright, so we'll say it's because of that!"

Well I think by not giving them an automatic place, that is exactly what they have said. What they haven't done is drag a negative and ugly episode into a positive piece. 

Most articles I have seen have given context around the USA though, but not sure it should be part of the official release.

In terms of full members qualifying groups are:

Europe: Wales, Ireland, Russia, Ukraine, Serbia

Americas: Jamaica

Asia-Pacific: PNG, Tonga, Cook Islands

Middle East-Africa: Lebanon, South Africa

Looking at that though I imagine they'll bring USA and Italy in. Otherwise Jamaica would be invited having never played before in the finals and the 3rd European qualifier would ship 100 points a game whilst a much stronger Cook Islands sits it out

USA, Canada, Greece, Spain, Ghana, Czech Republic and maybe Malta will all probably be full members by 2015. 

I don't agree with having that many auto qualifiers, it would be more than half if a proper federation was in place in the USA. Nations like Scotland will just end up going backwards, as they have no reason to develop the sport with a guaranteed place. At least there will be a proper global spread this time, with the Americas and Africa/ME (probably Lebanon) also having an entrant. Anyone know if they're still stopping teams full of heritage players in qualifiers or will they back down from that? 

I'd feel sad for PNG if they fail to qualify, but Tonga and the CIs are just NRL heritage teams. That said, I can't see PNG failing to qualify. 

All sports try to ensure they have a qualification process that results in what the organisers consider to be the best tournament. Europe and South America are disproportionately represented in soccer World Cup.Cricket has avoided having too many minnows.

The only automatic qualifiers should be Australia , NZ and England in my view. The draw should also try to ensure that Fiji, PNG and France and Lebanon qualify.

Interesting qualifiers then, they will all have to try and field full strength teams!

All sports try to ensure they have a qualification process that results in what the organisers consider to be the best tournament. Europe and South America are disproportionately represented in soccer World Cup.Cricket has avoided having too many minnows.

The only automatic qualifiers should be Australia , NZ and England in my view. The draw should also try to ensure that Fiji, PNG and France and Lebanon qualify.

I agree, or base it on how teams play over a number of years and not just in tourneys where un committed heratige players will be playing!

So what do you think the makeup of the 2017 RLWC will be?

Automatic - Australia, New Zealand, England, Fiji, Samoa, France, Scotland

Europe - Wales, Ireland, Italy

Pacific - PNG, Tonga

America - Canada

Middle East/Africa - Lebanon

Will be a close call for the likes of USA, Jamaica, Cooks and South Africa I reckon.

Personally, I think the third qualifying place from Europe would have made for a good repechage tournament, likely between Italy, Cooks, USA and South Africa. If they held it in Australia, they wouldn't have to travel far! :D

So what do you think the makeup of the 2017 RLWC will be?

Automatic - Australia, New Zealand, England, Fiji, Samoa, France, Scotland

Europe - Wales, Ireland, Italy

Pacific - PNG, Tonga

America - Canada

Middle East/Africa - Lebanon

Will be a close call for the likes of USA, Jamaica, Cooks and South Africa I reckon.

Personally, I think the third qualifying place from Europe would have made for a good repechage tournament, likely between Italy, Cooks, USA and South Africa. If they held it in Australia, they wouldn't have to travel far! :D

If the US get the membership the RLIF, I don't think Canada will be a shoo in. They well might qualify but it would be a hard struggle . The US has beaten them several times with mostly domestic players.

If the US get the membership the RLIF, I don't think Canada will be a shoo in. They well might qualify but it would be a hard struggle . The US has beaten them several times with mostly domestic players.

I don't think they're a shoo in. Just having a guess! :D

It'll certainly be close if both call on heritage players.

Canada have the Jacks brothers; Ryley and Rhys available to them. They're half backs who play in the Queensland Cup.

James Iodice from the Gold Coast Titans as well as McGoff and Robinson from Workington and London Skolars respectively.

i see steve's still calling for a GB tour next year in 2015.....which is when wales & ireland start their world cup qualification...

the logical thing to do is send england to play australia...and have scotland play "mid week tests" v fiji & samoa (who have also qualified.)

and leavel wales and ireland (and png,tonga,cook islands for that matter) to concentrate on the more important matter of the world cup

In relation to what spud has mentioned above; countries must have known of these plans for a while as France have had their NZ tour planned for some time now.

A GB tour in 2015 would be an issue for scheduling a qualifying tournament for the 2017WC.

2014 - 4N; Euro Nations for qualifying for 2016 4N.

2015 - GB Tour.

2016 - 4N

Would mean a tournament would have to be in 2016, and if Wales or France for example qualify for the 4N, when would they qualify for the WC? Unless you class that as qualification? It would be too messy to arrange.

A 2015 qualifying tournament would benefit everyone.

Apparently if Wales or Ireland make the 4 nations they automatically qualify and leave 2 remaining spots.

^ FFS, really? I thought we'd got past this bush league nonsense.

I also heard that they were planning to host qualifiers mid-season, which would be a disaster.

^ FFS, really? I thought we'd got past this bush league nonsense.

I think you might be giving the game's administrators a bit too much credit if you think they wouldn't find the easiest option available to appease the clubs...

Bush league mentality is a fairly apt name in my opinion...